Carsen WIP... SW and random figures - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-15-11, 06:28 AM
Señor Member
Carna's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 563
Reputation: 1
Default

They are definately an improvement! I like the faces too.

"Wulfe gestured around at the strange metal buildings. He didn't like the angles, the proportions, the lines. They didn't look like any Imperial buildings he had ever seen, and that made them wrong."
Carna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Grins1878's Avatar
Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slitherpool, UK
Posts: 1,018
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsen View Post
Yesterday I received the wolves I ordered.
The models are very nice with many details (though not as good as GW but still) but I am still somewhat disappointed. The models have holes (airbubbles) and also small balls of plastic here and there.... and it will take a lot of time cleaning those and filling the gaps with GS. So I can't recommend buying them if all of them looks like that.

Anyone else seen them in RL? Did I get a bad shipping?



Hopefully it will look just fine when I'm done with them and I will certainly enjoy painting them.
I got the mark of the Lycan models and they were similar. Also the resin used is pretty cheap as it's the really brittle stuff and not the plasticy stuff (Hence one having three fingers missing and another some cloth from his wrist after trying to prune some flash/balls of resin off them).

Also I've had to milliput some bubbles and both the legs on one fella as the moulds didn't look like they'd been positioned right, and the legs had 1-2mm ridges down one side. Detail on them is pretty good, but the moulding is shabby and cheap, they take a lot of cleaning, but they'll look good once finished!

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
Grins1878 is offline  
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carsen's Avatar
Carsen's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 102
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins1878 View Post
I got the mark of the Lycan models and they were similar. Also the resin used is pretty cheap as it's the really brittle stuff and not the plasticy stuff (Hence one having three fingers missing and another some cloth from his wrist after trying to prune some flash/balls of resin off them).

Also I've had to milliput some bubbles and both the legs on one fella as the moulds didn't look like they'd been positioned right, and the legs had 1-2mm ridges down one side. Detail on them is pretty good, but the moulding is shabby and cheap, they take a lot of cleaning, but they'll look good once finished!
Ohh.. sorry to hear that. If the cleaning takes too long then it just don't feel right. You got any pictures of them? I was thinking of eventually buying them as well.

Hopefully will the ones I'll get as replacements be better than the first shipping. But then I guess I should not have to high hopes... but we'll see how it goes.


Things I'd like to do better (in no special order):
- Glowing eyes... how cool isn't that?
- Urban basing... There are so many ways to do this cool.
- Freehand texting... It can always get smaller...
Carsen is offline  
 
post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 12:55 PM
Dazed and confused.
 
Khorne's Fist's Avatar
Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 8,496
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsen View Post
Hopefully will the ones I'll get as replacements be better than the first shipping. But then I guess I should not have to high hopes... but we'll see how it goes.
Good to hear you got sorted on that. Do they want the original ones back, or do you get to keep them? If they cost nothing, it's easy to work up the enthusiasm to fix them up yourself.

As to the former allegiance of your LF MLs, the guy yet to be refurbished looks like he's all dressed up for a Gay Pride festival. Damn fine job on the others for only 40 minutes a model.
Khorne's Fist is offline  
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carsen's Avatar
Carsen's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 102
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Good to hear you got sorted on that. Do they want the original ones back, or do you get to keep them? If they cost nothing, it's easy to work up the enthusiasm to fix them up yourself.

As to the former allegiance of your LF MLs, the guy yet to be refurbished looks like he's all dressed up for a Gay Pride festival. Damn fine job on the others for only 40 minutes a model.
Thanx man.

I'm not sure yet if I need to send them back.. But I don't think so. Must be more expensive to send them back than molding new onces I believe. It's not like they can sell/use them... I have not heard anything from them since I got their answer that they would send new ones.

But I HAVE been trying some by adding some GS to see what can be done and not.... Filling the smallest holes are both impossible and to time consuming (as it must been hundreds of holes in total). Instead I added a chain and some details on the saddle. However it over my head to fix all of the wolves ears and claws. But still.. as practice they will be just perfect.


Things I'd like to do better (in no special order):
- Glowing eyes... how cool isn't that?
- Urban basing... There are so many ways to do this cool.
- Freehand texting... It can always get smaller...
Carsen is offline  
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Grins1878's Avatar
Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slitherpool, UK
Posts: 1,018
Reputation: 9
Default

I'll get some pics posted up here for you to have a butchers at over the weekend. Most of it is trimmed off, but you'll be able to see the bits where it's goosed.

I think I still need to sort the torso's out, spent an age just on the leg armour so I'll get some close up snaps of them.

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
Grins1878 is offline  
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:54 PM
Dazed and confused.
 
Khorne's Fist's Avatar
Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 8,496
Reputation: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsen View Post
However it over my head to fix all of the wolves ears and claws. But still.. as practice they will be just perfect.
Just chop off the messed up ears and paint around the area as if it's a wound of some sort. I wouldn't say it'd be too much of a big deal to GS a bionic claw either. Then again, I can't really talk, my GS work is strictly limited to plugging holes.
Khorne's Fist is offline  
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-22-11, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carsen's Avatar
Carsen's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 102
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins1878 View Post
I'll get some pics posted up here for you to have a butchers at over the weekend.
Sweet. Looking forward to it. (Did I miss them?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Just chop off the messed up ears and paint around the area as if it's a wound of some sort. I wouldn't say it'd be too much of a big deal to GS a bionic claw either. Then again, I can't really talk, my GS work is strictly limited to plugging holes.
Can't say I know more of modeling than you.. so I guess it's a good idea here and there.


Things I'd like to do better (in no special order):
- Glowing eyes... how cool isn't that?
- Urban basing... There are so many ways to do this cool.
- Freehand texting... It can always get smaller...
Carsen is offline  
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-22-11, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carsen's Avatar
Carsen's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 102
Reputation: 1
Default

Last weekend and days had (again) little time as I've been training the whole weekend and later sick with fever (bad idea to train with a cold).... My hand have shivered to much to do all the detailing I would have liked to do. But here are some work in progress... (Picture heavy post.. sorry for that)

I need to figure out how to center the pupils of the eyes.... They all look like they need glasses or something... The Hair came out nicely though.


Mr Comedian.....


Mr. Claw...


Halfway done....


Boom??


And finally a picture of one assambled wolf... Just for you guys to see the size of that thing...


Do you guys know of any good explained tutorial of how to paint organic fur/wolves etc???
Painting some cloths on a marine is one thing and a whole wolf a totally different story....


Things I'd like to do better (in no special order):
- Glowing eyes... how cool isn't that?
- Urban basing... There are so many ways to do this cool.
- Freehand texting... It can always get smaller...
Carsen is offline  
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-22-11, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Lubacca's Avatar
Lubacca's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 385
Reputation: 1
Default

Nice work with the army so far man, it's shaping up nicely. Check the tutorial section for fur, usually they recommend that you dry brush your paint onto fur, but I've never had to paint a whole animal so I can't tell you for sure.

Shit I'm still having trouble getting dry brushing down right
Lubacca is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome