A beginners blog, doing the basics badly. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

MrHuk's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default A beginners blog, doing the basics badly.

First of all I'd just like to give you a little bit of background, basically I'm a complete novice when it comes to painting miniatures as well as art in general. I will be posting my progress from my first model and beyond, hopefully making noticeable progress in between. I only have a basic point and shoot camera but I will do my best to get passable photos.

First up, just a simple Dark Angels Marine, I didn't use any of the "special" bits on him, nor the better weapons as I didn't want to waste them seeing as he's my first model ever. I'm pretty happy with how I put him together, although the right arm doesn't look right to me, maybe it's my eyes but I'm pretty sure I should have put the shoulder pad on at a better angle. And don't ask how long it actually took me just to put the bloody thing together, it's too embarrassing! Any tips would be great, especially when it comes to mold lines and especially the little bits of plastic left over from the sprue, I got most of it off (I think) but it's not perfect.

I will be updating this blog for every stage of every model, I would have added photos of the model primed but God is mocking me and made it ran the second I finished putting the model together.

More to come in the future, any tips, tricks, advice no matter how small is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:12 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry about how long it took you to put the model together, as the plastic glue GW sells nowadays is inferior to their previous product (for some reason they made the glue thinner), consequently parts can take longer to stick together than they should, or else fall off days later.

Anyway, your Dark Angel looks pretty good to me mate, PM me when he's painted up.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:21 PM

Zognutz's Flag is: England

Location: Where ever the Navy sends me but Lancaster's a good start

it's a good start [god knows everyone starts somewhere].

its really well put together for a first. It's a good natural and dynamic pose. Dont worry about the right armpit being a little open like that. As you put more together you'll see it's nothing out of the ordinary. As you get more experienced, a little greenstuff can clean up joins like that no problem but remember...

a lick of paint can hide a multitude of sins :D

If I can give you hint about those mold lines. I find the best way to get rid of them is to scrape gently down them with the edge of a craft knife/scalpel. Getting rid of them can make the difference between a good model and a great model.

Have fun mate ;)

Zognutz Irongob's "Deff Skwod" Bloodaxes - My new baby

"To er is 'umie, to Waaaaaaagh! is devine."

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

You was right Zognutz, all the little bits I wasn't happy with you don't notice now that it's been primed.

I did my best with the mold lines, I know I missed some bits but it's certainly better than before, overall I'm happy for a first attempt.

A little progress, I primed the little fella and had a well deserved pizza so I'm feeling pretty good right about now.

How does the coat look to you guys? I must say I was happy with it as it seemed thin enough and didn't clog up any detail. I was surprised how easy the priming was, literally 3 seconds on either side and it was done.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd add a photo of the unboxing:

post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 08:47 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

My top tip would be to base before undercoat.

post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
I don't actually have anything to base with yet, hopefully I can pick something up in the future. What would you suggest as a cheap way to smarten up my bases? Would some simple sand/grass/mud be OK for someone at my level?
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 09:04 PM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHuk View Post

I did my best with the mold lines, I know I missed some bits but it's certainly better than before, overall I'm happy for a first attempt.

How does the coat look to you guys? I must say I was happy with it as it seemed thin enough and didn't clog up any detail. I was surprised how easy the priming was, literally 3 seconds on either side and it was done.
Get that moldline on the hood and just cover over the area that you cleaned with some chaos black. You will be glad you did it before you start painting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
I would have to agree with Torealis.

You have the same avatar as me!

Looking forward to seeing some paint on him. Good luck!

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Oops, totally missed that one, I did the right side but not the left or the top of the head.
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 09:24 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

So, my build order is:

Clip pieces from frame.

Remove all mould lines.

Decide on pose.

Glue legs to base, then torso to legs, then arms to body, then head last.

PVA glue sand/small stones on base.

Undercoat.

Paint base (scorched brown, khemri brown drybrush)

Paint model.

Use plastic glue to glue small tufts of static grass.

Varnish if you want.

EDIT: I know that I'm certainly not standard among GW people on the net, but I use all GW products. I love their basing stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode