The Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Latest miniatures and much needed update

I haven't updated this project log for a while due to a variety of personal reasons which I won't bore you further with. Anyway painting wise I've recently been focusing in my new Imperial Guard army which is going to be a kind of futuristic french force using Cadians, with the focus being on infantry and as many heavy weapons as I can cram into the army.

So far I've got an infantry squad and my company command squad assembled and half-painted and when I can get my hands on a 40k basing kit, I'll be able to finish them off. I've also finally started work on my Ork Warboss conversion that I entered for the conversion contest here on heresy. He uses the Weirdboy head and the AOBR twin-linked shoota arm on a Black Orc big boss's body.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-11, 08:57 AM

WHY DON'T YOU WASH THEM?!?!?! THEY'D LOOK SO MUCH BETTER.

No seriously, I think yours is not bad painting, it's just unfinished work and a big spoonful of laziness?
Take that time to give your miniatures a wash, even just with a small tipped brush dipped in badab black wash, run along the cracks and edges only, so you don't have to go over the whole model again to cover the excess wash.
Also, this is just me, but that great idea of a French-Revolution-styled army...and yet the skin colors are smeared over the helmets.
I can hardly believe that's lack of a steady hand, you got the borders perfectly right with the orcs and on the boots of the frenchy imperials themselves.
I hope you don't take offense in this comment, it's really meant as encouragement, for the simple reason that I think you have the potential, judging from your models, you just lack the initiative to constantly apply it. Painting miniatures can be a pain in the ass, but in the end, you have that warm feeling that it was worth it, and in turn are encouraged to hold up that standard with the next model in the squad.
I'm a terribly uninspired, boring and mediocre painter myself, but I still get a certain satisfaction from it, cause I know I did the best I could, as little as that might be.

Peace.

post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-11, 09:25 AM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey Sullen One! It's all good mate, everyone starts painting at one point! I destroyed detail and ruined figures with huge globs of paint more times than I care to remember when I started out! The thing you've done that I never did was paint a full army! Only my UM and they were painted over about 10 years!

Kudos on the honesty, but your painting isn't bad at all, and it wouldn't take much to improve it and give it a nudge in the right direction!

My tips to you would be to take a little more time with them (probably why I've never finished an army tbh...), and use less paint on the brushes.

If you want to try something different on human skin, I did a blog for a friend of mine on it which he found useful http://grinsworld1878.blogspot.com/2...made-easy.html so it could be handy to try that.

As well as that, if you can't be bothered doing loads of thin layers, washes work really well, and with a bit of a drybrush of the skin tone afterwards they can look just as good. I think a lot of it is just taking a load of time around the edges of the armour and getting the paint from your brush to the area you want it.

I know what you mean by the shaking too, I suffer massively with it, but there's a few ways I combat it.
1) a chair with arm rests, put your elbows on it
2) paint at a desk - rest your forearms on the edge of it when painting (lower your chair if needed)
3) Breathing - like shooting, I can't paint when I'm breathing in and out. Take a few normal breaths, then take a half breath and paint until you let it out again. It bugs the piss out of my mrs because I constantly hold my breath, but it keeps my hands steady :-)

Something I think is a good example of what washes can do is the joints in the standard bearer's armour, and the metallic parts of his bolt gun. Both parts were painted flat boltgun metal, and then different washes applied to them to give them distinct looks.

I'm by no means an amazing painter (there are some incredible brush folk on here), and it does my head in not being able to do some of the stuff I see people doing on their models, but I can work stuff so it looks okay for my armies I think. If I can help at all just ask, always happy to give a few pointers if I can

Lastly, keep it up! Nothing improves painting like practice

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-11, 12:35 PM

mutronics's Flag is: England

I'm with wide_ocean here. I though I sucked as a painter till i discovered GW washes. In fact, you don't even really need to go over the wash again if you slap it on. Just move it around with a clean brush till it's off most of the surface. I did this with my entire Chaos army. The only catch with my technique is that it tends to to darken whatever colour your washing. So usually paint a shade lighter than i usually should.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Well it's been too long since I last bothered with this painting log, but even if everyone who checked it out has decided only to stick with those who can be relied on for consistent updates, I'm going to continue with it, just so I've got a place where I can see if I'm getting better. To start off with I'm trying to improve my painting, using some of the techniques outlined in the new how to paint citadel miniatures. To that end I've resprayed a lot of models because they deserve something better when it comes to their paintjob.

The plan is to essentially work my way through the four primary colours, starting with blue. Last night I drybrushed some of my tanks with the new Etherium Blue, taking as much care as I could to stick to the edges. This morning I saw the results and knew instantly that they were amongst the best things I'd ever painted. Tomorrow I'll try and finish them off (depends on what colours I've got as my inventory is large enough that I've forgotten half of it) with a first attempt at glazing in the works.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

Last edited by The Sullen One; 07-08-12 at 09:50 PM.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 10:23 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

Well hiatuses happens, that's how real life sometimes work. Good to hear that you are stirring the paint again Sullen. +rep

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
Well hiatuses happens, that's how real life sometimes work. Good to hear that you are stirring the paint again Sullen. +rep
Thanks again for the reputation points Zodd.

Anyhow, having figured out how to transfer pictures from the camera I'm using to my computer (for some reason it's started using the built in memory rather than the memory card), I just want to show three pictures I took last night which showed my drybrushing attempts using the new Etherium Blue paint. I've got to say how impressed I am by the new citadel range and how easier they've made painting.

As you can see from the pictures (hopefully) the drybrushing has given them a fantastically worn look and compensates to a certain degree for the effects of the respraying and my heavy-handed painting, which is something I still need to work on.

Quote:
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. First is my Crimson Fist reattempt. I first painted this guy up way too quickly back in 2010 and he ended up blotchy. So I resprayed him and started again but sadly I think he's irredemable. Either I'm too heavy handed or there was simply too much paint in the first place, but he still looks blotchy.

Next are a couple of Plague Marines who I've been meaning to finish for ages and still haven't. Both have minor conversions to them. Mostly this was to test out unusual weapon combinations. The one on the left has a bolt pistol and knife, while the one on the right has a knife and chainsword

While I like them, the idea of combining knife and chainsword on a model is going to need another go, as the current model has a somewhat unrealistic pose on the right arm.

Later on, after work, I added some brown to the holster to get it started and experimented with drybrushing white over the Nurgle symbol and the helmet.

Quote:

Last edited by The Sullen One; 07-23-12 at 12:14 AM.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-11-15, 08:50 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Hey mate! How's it going with the painting these days? I noticed your painting log in your signature and seeing as it has been a few years, and you're active again, is there any progress?

If you want any tips or the like, do let me know - I have a few painting tutorials I have made on the forum that could help out on techniques if you wish
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-11-15, 09:10 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

I am curious, is that guard standard inspired by the French flag?
I kinda hope you decide to open the plog up again, it's a real good way to motivate for painting. and as a first time visitor to it this looks interesting.

Last edited by Haskanael; 09-11-15 at 09:13 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode