The Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 02:58 PM

mutronics's Flag is: England

After coming back into the hobby after half a decade, the best advice I can give to painters is;

Foundation Paint: Only use these. Less coats = Less hassle. If you can't get the colour you need, use a 75% mix of the colour with 25% a foundation colour as close as you can to what you need. This helps it to cover a lot easier in less coats. Stippling works well to basecoat over black.

Thin your paint: Foundation paints=Enough so it flows easily, but covers on one coat.

WASHES, WASHES: Citadel washes are the dogs dangly bits. After steering clear of ink's for years. I was given a demo of the new washes and how to quick shade. I became an instant convert. Buy Devlan mud for your possessed and give them a heavy coat. All the detail will be picked out immeadately. Seriously, drown them in it. You'll be smiling after it all dries. The heavy coat will blend the choppy edges of paint down too and camouflage your shaky hands.

In summary.

1. Paint W/ Foundation colour. Doesn't have to be exceedingly neat. Just an even coat.
2. Wash the excrement out of the model with either Devlan Mud or Badab Black. It might look horrificily bad as you are doing it, but the stuff REALLY reduces as it dries.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT! You now have tabletop grade minatures.

Last edited by mutronics; 07-18-11 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 04:07 PM

apidude's Flag is: USA

Shaky hand syndrome: One approach.
Ok, this is going to be a bit difficult to describe but I will try. Dave touched it with the heel of one hand braced against the heal of the other and I do that as well. It helps no end when you are placing very tiny dots of paint or trying to get the paint
"...JUSSSSTTTTT THERE...... Darn it! Glopped it!"

I also use the unused fingers of one hand or the other to brace the two hands together. For example, I am right handed. I hold the model in the left hand between thumb, index and middle finger. The ring and little finger of the left hand, not being used to hold the model, I stick straight out and prop my right hand, the painting hand, against those fingers. That gives me a bit better control over the painting angles but takes some practice to feel comfortable.

Good luck and keep painting. It gets easier and better the more you do.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-11, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Three close combat weapons are better than two.

"Shagga likes to kill something with each hand"

"He's got a third axe strapped to his back"

"Shagga is of the opinion that three axes are even better than two" - Tyrion Lannister explains a clansman's attitudes to war to his father's quartermaster in Game Of Thrones.

After a bit of soul searching, not to mention sifting through bits, I've decided to resurrect (for about the third time) my Crimson Fists army. Now I like to convert my models here and there and play around a bit with ideas, so here's my crazy (and perfectly legal) Sergeant with two chainweapons, plus a third (for modelling purposes only) on his back.

As you can see from these WIP shots, my greenstuff sculpting skills are in need of work.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-11, 05:56 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The third axe looks odd to me placed across the top of his backpack; it might look more natural diagonally across the flat area, or vertically up one side.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-11, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
The third axe looks odd to me placed across the top of his backpack; it might look more natural diagonally across the flat area, or vertically up one side.
Said axe has since been removed by the delicate method of my fingers pulling it off as it just looked stupid, still going to find some use for it though.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-11, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Default D'oh: Key lessons in painting white

Having worked a late again today, I decided to do a little bit of painting before going to work, with the aim of finally painting up some of the details. Unfortunately I had forgotten that painting any colour other than white near white, when your hands occasionally exhibit a mind of their own does not make for an ideal combination as you can see below:

Notice those annoying bits of red and blue peaking out from the corners, they're enough to make me sue, myself, for believing I could actually pull this off

Anyway...
... Moment over, I assure you I shall forge on relentlessly until that day very far into the future where I can die a happy man, having learned to paint brilliant white (and to paint on the other colours first) despite it costing me my family, my home, my job and my sanity. Mwahaha!

Quote:

Last edited by The Sullen One; 07-24-11 at 11:18 PM.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-11, 11:35 PM

5tonsledge's Flag is: USA

well sire you are by far the worst painter i have ever seen.
lol jk i was entertaing your post. anyways no you are not he worst ive seen. ive seen some gloss coated storm troopers and gk that would make anyone cry in pain for the model. ah ah i hated that guy not because of him but because of that paint..... anyways to be honest your plague marines are not bad sure they lack pretty, but fuck it they are nurgle. anyways nice post im kinda interested in seeing more of your works. i wont say art because. well you know. lol
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-11, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tonsledge View Post
well sire you are by far the worst painter i have ever seen.
lol jk i was entertaing your post. anyways no you are not he worst ive seen. ive seen some gloss coated storm troopers and gk that would make anyone cry in pain for the model. ah ah i hated that guy not because of him but because of that paint..... anyways to be honest your plague marines are not bad sure they lack pretty, but fuck it they are nurgle. anyways nice post im kinda interested in seeing more of your works. i wont say art because. well you know. lol
Various examples of my art (or lack thereof) can be found on Heresy. Try searching for Deff Wraith if you want to see something I'm actually proud of, though not the third one, evolutionary mistake there.

Quote:
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-25-11, 12:14 AM

MrHuk's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post

Notice those annoying bits of red and blue peaking out from the corners, they're enough to make me sue, myself, for believing I could actually pull this off
Ha, that's exactly how I felt today. Starting at the bottom sucks, huh?
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-25-11, 12:18 AM

5tonsledge's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
Various examples of my art (or lack thereof) can be found on Heresy. Try searching for Deff Wraith if you want to see something I'm actually proud of, though not the third one, evolutionary mistake there.
lol it was a extrodanairy faliure. jk no i actually liked it. i left a little post on the thread if you wanted to read it. anyways ill keep up to date with your thread.
ps. those sterngaurd are disturbing lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode