The Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-11, 01:05 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
Cheers mate, I tried painting with my elbows against my body, but it proved to be too uncomfortable to paint that way. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Using a sturdy table or a chair/stool might help too, like bracing your elbows or wrists against the table or stool.

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-06-11, 04:42 PM

Pigsnout23's Flag is: USA

I've seen much worse than your painting. In fact I hope my miniatures look about the same when I'm finished. Keep trucking along!

The worst painter I ever saw once used the smallest brush he could find, "so he could get all the details," to paint an entire high elf army using just two colors per model. No highlights, no washes. The sword was the same color as the armor, the boots, and the legs, and the arms. He did take time to paint the face and hands elf flesh, though. That small brush didn't seem to catch the detail very well for some reason...
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Just the latest update to the log.

Well since I'm working lates today and tomorrow I've taken the chance to catch up on some of my numerous and it would seem, ever-growing list of projects still to be completed. This time it's my Trench Raider squad for a projected VBCW force.

First off we have shots of the whole squad as we approach the tidying up stage:

A bit of reverse detail:

Finally we've got an attempt at a close-up:

Sorry about the lack of detail, but I'm still figuring out the odds and ends of the camera I'm using. One thing I've tried on the putees is to use bleached bone to provide something a little more historically accurate. I have to say it, but these models have been great to work on, as the level of detail is phenomenal and makes you want to lavish that little bit more attention on them.

Additionally I'm adding in some pictures of the new Finecast Plague Marines. I took these lot to my local GW yesterday and was able to put them together in about an hour and a half. I know lots of people have been complaining about the Finecast models, but these were a joy to work with and far easier than any metal model when it came to assembly.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

Last edited by The Sullen One; 07-18-11 at 01:26 AM.

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 05:55 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Looks as if you have achieved a consistent look across the squad.

Quote:
Finally we've got an attempt at a close-up:

The backpack looks a little flat in the same colour; I suggest painting some of the pouches in a different brown then giving it a Devlan Mud wash to pull it together.

Quote:
One thing I've tried on the putees is to use bleached bone to provide something a little more historically accurate.
I use Deneb Stone myself, but Bleached bone looks good too; I usually give puttees a light wash of Devlan Mud to make them look used and pick up the layering.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 06:52 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

I am liking the trench raider squad- I agree with hobbit, the brown could do with a little wash, but great work otherwise.

hooray for finecast plague marines! How was the kit to build?I am thinking of getting some for my Consuls of Decay Army. Do you think it would be possible to have the gas mask head as the apsiring champion? Or is the bare head fixed onto the backpack? (in the fluff of my guys, they are so corroded and nasty that their armour has literally morphed into them, so they can never take it off)
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdair View Post
I am liking the trench raider squad- I agree with hobbit, the brown could do with a little wash, but great work otherwise.

hooray for finecast plague marines! How was the kit to build?I am thinking of getting some for my Consuls of Decay Army. Do you think it would be possible to have the gas mask head as the apsiring champion? Or is the bare head fixed onto the backpack? (in the fluff of my guys, they are so corroded and nasty that their armour has literally morphed into them, so they can never take it off)
The backpacks come seperate so you can use the Gasmask chap as your Aspiring Championn without a problem. I suppose if you wanted your corroded effect you could use Green stuff.

As for the Trench Raiders, I'll be making a few changes, darker blue on the helmets for one.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Default Quick update for Saturday

Just showing off some of the Bolt Action Partisans I painted this morning. They're not quite finished yet as I still need to do the skin and some other details, but anyway here are the first few pictures:

The Partisans set is a nice one to get if you're looking for 1930s/40s miniatures as it comes with eight models, four in civilian dress, two in what I'm guessing are meant to be Soviet uniforms and two in German uniforms, which brings me onto a problem I'm hoping you'll be able to solve for me.

As you can see in the picture below...

... I haven't done much on these two guys. Now since they're in German uniform I was thinking of doing them up in BUF colours. However those colours are predominated by black and I'm not all that sure black goes with the rest of the unit that well. So if you've any ideas I'm willing to listen.

Cheers, the Sullen One.

P.S. Sorry about the slightly out of focus pictures, I was trying to make the colours used on the arms and legs prominent.

Quote:

Last edited by The Sullen One; 07-09-11 at 10:32 AM.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-11, 10:49 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Hello Sullen,

First, for the pictures, just grab a sheet of white printer paper or notebook paper and place a piece on the bottem and behind the unit and it will have dramaticaly with the camera focus.

Next, these look like some cool figures, not quit sure where they come from but neat nonetheless. Reminds me of the old OOP GW Pretorians for IG, if I spelled that right.

Also, try adding maybe a wash to their faces, should help with highlighting and definition for the model. Do you plan on doing the bases as well?

Im def interested in seeing how your chaos units turn out and wish you the best.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Default Endless white!

Added 14/07/2011:

Was mucking around with various bitz this afternoon and cooked up these two Space Marine sergeants:

I'm going to try and paint them up in a white scheme, which could turn out hilariously funny.

17/07/2011:

First off let me say why I've used a black undercoat rather than a white one.
Well about two and a half years ago I bought some Space Marine Veteran models for a planned Crimson Fists army that never really got going, anyway some of the Veterans were going to be painted up as Imperial Fists and since I was going to be painting them yellow, I primed them white, at which point they turned pink.

Yes that's right, the Skull White I was using interacted with the metal in a way I don't understand and turned the models candyfloss pink. After this painting became a little difficult, eventually ending up looking like someone had poured egg yoke over the models.

So that is why I decided to prime the models with a black undercoat. Anyway having done that I used a P3 colour, Greatcoat grey, followed by Codex grey and then two layers of Fortress grey. After this I was finally able to start putting on the layers of Skull white. Well, to cut a long story short, I'm now on the third layer of white and I've still got more to go, at least another layer, probably two.

Part of me can't help wondering if I should have added Space Wolves grey somewhere along the way, though I reckon that the first layer of white was maybe a little too thick in places. Still they're coming along and so I'm going to carry on until the white is smooth. Below you can see my efforts for yourself:

Definitely two layers, at least.

Quote:
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 10:52 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I did not spot straight away that they were actually the same model, so excellent work on making them look different.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode