The Art of Necromancy! Reaperís Mantic Undead - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-10-11, 11:33 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Very nice work Reap! They look fantastic!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-11, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by farseer22 View Post
Looking really good

you got rid of that overly "clean" look you had going early on and they look fresh from the grave and ready to fight. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these dead guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Very nice work Reap! They look fantastic!
Thanks a lot guys., I'm really pleased we've reached 5 pages and there's only actually one painted unit lol.

I'm hoping the undead army will be here when I get up (though that could be late as I'm ill at the moment) so if it is, expect this to be an update filled week!

post #43 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-13-11, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Got my first couple of test zombies painted up. The spray method I planned on using failed so I tried to emulate the style in this picture:

I think I came close enough for the time being, it’s a bit darker but hey ho.. I was concerned with them being too dull, but when I thought about it, the zombies represent the peasantry, so they would be wearing dull and plain clothes and keeping to limited palette reflects this. So here they are:

Comments and criticism welcome!

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, THE ARMY HAS ARRIVED!

This box is such good value for money. 110 models for £45 (from wayland) Epic!

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 07-13-11 at 05:26 PM.

post #44 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

+The following is an extract from the notes of the scholar, Jorge Eli+

“We heard them long before we saw them. A terrible, dull moan that carried on the wind like an autumn leaf. We held our ground, waiting. It was many minutes before we caught glimpse of their front ranks. Red points amongst the mist. Their eyes, crimson like the blood dawn. The moans grew louder and louder, a deafening crescendo counterpointed by their snarls. At fifty paces they broke ranks and charged, jaws snapping at the air.
We held our shields firm and received their charge. They crashed upon us like a wave, their limitless numbers pressing against us. Our boots left gouges in the earth as we were forced backwards under the weight of their attack. They fell easily upon our blades but for each mindless creature that was slain, many more took its place. And worse, they were slowly thinning our line.
When our defences broke we were forced to scatter, each warrior alone against the horde. Rotten hands pressed against my armour and I swung my sword as though it was the banner at the summer dance.
When I managed to break free of the combat I fled, I’m not ashamed to admit, for you would have done the same, you’d be a fool not to.
I lost a lot of good friends that day.

So do not ask if I know of zombies!”

- Ri’ta, Elf spearman. Committed to asylum following the battle of Oak Pass.

Greetings all, got a small update for you.

I’ve finished the bases for my first two zombie regiments:

Some of the zombies are finished, the rest need their cloth painting and blood adding.

The base alone:

And some details:

And the second base, which has the graveyard in:

And details:

Once I get back to Cardiff I’ll be adding fallen leaves and autumn foliage to all the bases.

So what do you think?

Cheers

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 07-21-11 at 08:10 PM.
post #45 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:57 PM

feckwit101's Flag is: England

Very nice, i like the way they swarm/shuffle out of the ground the poses are very well thought out.

I am not a WFB fan as a whole but was tempted to do an army using the Mantic Undead mini's and you Sir/Madam are not helping my future bank balance.
post #46 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by feckwit101 View Post
Very nice, i like the way they swarm/shuffle out of the ground the poses are very well thought out.

I am not a WFB fan as a whole but was tempted to do an army using the Mantic Undead mini's and you Sir/Madam are not helping my future bank balance.
Cheers pal, and it's sir

You should give kings of war a go, the rules are free so there's nothing to lose!

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 07-21-11 at 08:10 PM.
post #47 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Hey guys, thought I'd give you a teaser of something to come:

This is the cover to a WIP piece I've got on the go. It will be the account of Nalgar's campaign by Jorge Eli, from the earlier post. Think of it as a sort of documentary (sort of like world war Z)

I'm planning lots of stories as well as a whole section of witness accounts like Ri'ta's. I'd also like to get some maps in there to show where Nalgar went.

I'll keep you guys updated on how it's going

post #48 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-23-11, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

+The following is an extract from the notes of the scholar, Jorge Eli+

“Have you ever seen them? The undead? The first thing you will notice is the sound, or rather, the lack of it. When they march, they make no noise, other than the haunting sound of their bones against the earth. There is no speech, no mighty battle cry, just bone. And then you’ll see their red eyes inside their empty sockets as they charge you.
They fight as well as any living man I’ve seen, but normal blows do not fell them. And even if you are lucky and strike one to the ground, its master with summon it to fight again.

I’m amazed we won at all, against those monsters.”

- Mason Erik, veteran of the Battle of Iso. Currently a lecturer on Necromancy at Altus University.

No replies? Well, guess you just need more lovely pictures then!

I’ve started painting my skeletons and had hoped I’d be able to paint all the base colours and then wash and highlight them to save time, but the result look shit. So, I’ve opted for the much slower way. I paint each step on its own (bone, cloth, silver) and between each step I return with chaos black to re-undercoat any areas that the paint has gone over. It takes a lot longer but I think the result is worth it. Whether I’ll still be saying that after a few hundred of the is a different story lol.

Detail shot:

I’m really pleased with them, and think a horde of them will look pretty sweet.

What do you think people?

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 07-31-11 at 12:00 PM.
post #49 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-23-11, 12:55 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

The models and paint on them look awesome, love the guy with the axe in his head. If you are wanting to add a little more color to the clothing of your peasant zombies you could give them a embroidery trim. It was what all those peasant women did during the winter months :-p

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #50 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-23-11, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
The models and paint on them look awesome, love the guy with the axe in his head. If you are wanting to add a little more color to the clothing of your peasant zombies you could give them a embroidery trim. It was what all those peasant women did during the winter months :-p
Thanks bud.

Moar pictures!

Finished another two guys:

The first 5 skellies:

An "army so far" shot:

And a scale comparison:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode