The Art of Necromancy! Reaperís Mantic Undead - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 08:53 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

LE GASP! reaper not doing Marines? XD

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfAbsolution View Post
I've just watched all 3 parts to that guys tutorial + the finished images one and... Wow! that looks so amazing and with so little effort, it is a great effect for realistic zeds than the comic green. thanks for posting it up! +rep.
It is an awesome method and the end result is pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Sweet another Reaper Log!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing these guys unfold mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
LE GASP! reaper not doing Marines? XD
Cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
This may seem a little sadistic of me, but this thread should die and get another post a couple years later.
Lol, love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farseer22 View Post
I'm looking forward to more of this one too. Thanks for posting the colour recipes, seeing how other people do colours helps me refine my ideas and processes for colours. Do you mix the highlight colour in a separate pot and use it for the whole amy/unit or just mix it on a pallet as needed?
You're welcome. For these first few I mixed the colours on a palate to make sure I had ones I was happy with. For the army proper, I will be mixing them in pots, The First layer colour for the red and blue I already had mixed though.

Cheers for all the comments so far folks. Good to see so much interest already I won't disappoint you

post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Time for a minute update. In keeping with trying to make this mantic log stand out somewhat, I've decided every unit will be mounted on scenic bases, mini displays if you will.

The first one's I will be doing is a horde of zombies. To increase my tactical flexibility in smaller games, this horde will be two regiments on interlocking bases. The theme for this first set of bases will be a graveyard.

The right side of the base represents the graveyard. Where zombies will be breaking out from graves (using the tombstones from the skeleton set, and casting them as needed. The dark grey squares represent a gap and the thick black line will be the fence.

After buying the army box I will have 90 odd zombies, by splitting this into two groups of 46, I'll be able to have two full hordes, each with 46 models on the base. This means it will still look like a horde, but I can maximise the number of models I have.

The left side of the picture represents the second base, outside the graveyard. Zombies on this side of the fence will be much tighter packed as they advance on their dinner!

The blue squares represent a group of zombies that have broken off from the group to feast on an unfortunate passer by (the dark grey square)

Hopefully that gives you a good idea where I'm going with this. I'll update in a day or two with my progress.

Until then!

post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 09:22 PM

wow that is one hell of a plan.

besides, 90 divided in two isn't 46, its 45

failing to plan is planning to fail

post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenee22 View Post
wow that is one hell of a plan.

besides, 90 divided in two isn't 46, its 45
Cheers

I know, I've got more than 90 (I got "60" and "30", but you can make extra zombies from the bits on the sprue, so really I've probably got closer to 110 but a lot of those would be legs with spines or zombies bursting from the ground. And as a horde of 45 can't be halved, I've opted for 46 per horde (which should be 60, but individual models don't matter in K.o.W, it's glorious lol)

Basic work is done for the fencing now, I need to wait for the box set to arrive until I can get more bases to finish it off. I won't be finishing the bases off fully (adding sand and painting) until September. All my fantasy stuff is in Cardiff still (I'm in N. Wales) I want to add arrows and shields and spears to the bases, make them look more like a battlefield.

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 06-19-11 at 10:35 AM.
post #16 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-19-11, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

The Tale of Nalgar, the Liche King

No one knows how long Nalgar has walked this earth. He was once a well respected scholar and mage. But he was outcast from the school of wizardry when he suggested the study of Necromancy as standard practise to better understand the threat it posed. Driven from his life as a well known and highly regarded member of society, Nalgar moved to the country where he practised with the damned arts on his own for many years.

When word reached him that his son had been murdered in the city, Nalgar returned. He found his son’s resting place and used his knowledge to perform a summoning spell. However, Nalgar was but a novice, with no true understanding of the art he was practising. His spell did indeed revive his son, along with every corpse in the graveyard. The mass of zombies he had raised proceeded to slaughter hundreds across the city, acting on Nalgar’s powerful hate of those who had “wronged” him. By the time his hold broke on the undead, Nalgar was a shell. Having witness the citizens of his hometown butchered, their flesh feasted on by those things he himself had summoned, Nalgar was a broken man.

Overcome with grief, Nalgar returned to his country home and delved deeper into the secrets of Necromancy, determined to revive those he had killed. Six years later he returned to the city to find it repopulated. After some searching he found the mass grave of those affected by the actions of his last visit. With his new knowledge, and broken mind, he raised an army of hundreds of skeletons. The townspeople attacked him, calling him a monster, but they did not understand. Nalgar tried to make them see he had corrected his mistakes but they would not listen. So the Necromancer turned his undead on the living, slaughtering the inhabitants of the city for a second time.

The next few years are shrouded in mystery. Nalgar, along with his ever growing legion of undead, made his way across the land, sacking towns and cities as he went. As each populated area fell, his numbers grew. During this period there were dozens major battles between Nalgar’s army and the Elves, and several against the Dwarves. At some point during this time Nalgar achieved his Liche status, his living body having finally succumbed to the effects of Necromancy. But in death, Nalgar became far more powerful than he ever was in life. His grief and sorrow were replaced with an insatiable lust for chaos. He wrought a bloody path, decimating entire armies as they tried to stop him.

And then, after many months of destruction, he disappeared. There was no sign of the Liche, or his forces, for many years, his very existence became myth and his actions became another note in the history books and he was forgotten. What he did during this period is unknown. But when he returned, he did so at the head of a colossal army of undead. Having recruited his famous six insidious Necromancers, Nalgar was able to summon a terrifying force and advance upon the living world.

Now the Liche King seems to have been forgotten once again as the thoughts of the free people have turned to Mhorgoth. What they don’t know is that the Necromancer actually seeks the Liche King to learn his secrets. The world shall most certainly suffer if the two ever join forces.

Time for another fluff/mini update.

I have a shot of the progress made on my zombie base, it's missing 10 basses as I don't have them yet but it's coming along nicely. When I get back t Cardiff I'll add lots of little details like arrows, spears, leaves and such to make it more interesting.

Until next time peeps.

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 07-30-11 at 12:06 PM.
post #17 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Hey all, it’s a text update today (boo!)

I’ve been thinking a lot about the background of this army and I’m really intrigued by Nalgar’s six Necromancers. Now, some of you may be wondering how I can be intrigued by it when it’s something I wrote, well anyone else who writes will know the effect that character development can have lol.

The snippet of fluff on the site mentions that the Liche deals mainly with the more fleshy undead (zombies), and while I’m sure a Liche of Nalgar’s status would have no trouble summoning skellies, I’m going to keep him for zombies and general evil over-lording. So it will be up to his insidious six to summon the bulk of the army.

I’ve been thinking about how this will work and I have a general concept in mind. Each of the six necromancers will be responsible for one particular unit type.

For example, one Liche may be the sole summoner of skeleton warriors, another in charge of the revenants, a third for the cavalry (mounted on a horse of course, probably a revenant conversion using the plastic skeleton hood and other bits). Then I would have a necromancer dedicated to the binding of spirits to bring wraiths to the field. That would leave me with two necromancers that can assist and also it leave me room for any new undead that are released.

My plan for this in tabletop representation is twofold. The first, and most obvious, will be heraldry. I want to keep the army colours uniform, but by having individual heraldry for each necromancer, I can add these to the shields/etc of the units they have raised.

The other, and more subtle way to do this is eyes. The undead are animated via magic, and it is said the skeleton warriors have an aura about them (the air around them hums. And there is a metallic scent/taste to them) So I will be painting their eyes to colour co-ordinate with the eyes of their raiser, to tie them together. It’s only something small, but I really like it as a concept, sort of a magical signature for each magic user.

Hobby wise, I’m still waiting for the undead army box to arrive (I’m jonesing for some undead now) but have already started planning my next purchases (cavalry and warmachines )

Comments/suggestions welcome.

post #18 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 04:38 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Sounds like a good way to go about it. I like the idea of each of the necromancers having their own personal heraldry, and I think that through symbols and icons you can achieve this pretty easily while still keeping the same over all color scheme. As for the thing with the eyes I can see a really nice opportunity to employ some nice OSL techniques to really sell that.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #19 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Sounds like a good way to go about it. I like the idea of each of the necromancers having their own personal heraldry, and I think that through symbols and icons you can achieve this pretty easily while still keeping the same over all color scheme. As for the thing with the eyes I can see a really nice opportunity to employ some nice OSL techniques to really sell that.
Cheers Midge, that is the idea I have. I plan on sclupting at least one 'mancer casting balfire, and the colour of his/his troops eyes will also correspond to his balefire.

post #20 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 11:34 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

LOL, look like you got yourself a larger version of 'Connect Four' going on there (old board game for those curious)...The models really do look great and I am sure you will do a super job on them when you start painting them all up.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode