Kabal of the Obsidian Rose - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
eae

Default Kabal of the Obsidian Rose

Hi everyone. I've been posting in Painting & Modeling for some time now and since every post of mine is related to the same army I thought it's worth a project log.

My current 750 pts army is: 2x 5 Kabalites with a Blaster, 3 Trueborn with two lances, Archon with an Agonizer and grenades, 4 Incubi as his "retinue", two converted Venoms with cannon upgrades, a Ravager and a Raider. I've just finished putting them together today and now I'm going to spend the summer painting them (yeah I take my time when painting). I've done some conversions that I like and I magnetised everything that needed magnetizing so I'll add some words about that in the next post.

Here goes a group shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04931_1.jpg (382.7 KB, 113 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 06:01 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your warriors look very good. Look forward to seeing your progress on your army over the summer.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
eae

I've decided to make my Trueborns differ from Kabalites in 3 ways:
- all Kabalites wear helmets and all Trueborn do not, since they're proud of their legacy;
- I'll paint some minor decorations on their shoulder pads, similar to what you can see in the Codex;
- I've given them either trophy thingies (that were originally intended for the Sybarite in the warriors' box) or the banner. The most useless person in the group (the one without the lance) wears a banner just to do something.

It's the "Dracon" of my Trueborns on the pic below. I've tried to make her pose dynamic and interesting (to make some additional difference) but ultimately I failed and now it's pretty obvious she just has sore bottom and she definitely tries to scratch it. The face says it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04932.jpg (82.6 KB, 7 views)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 06:02 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Looking forward to seeing this!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
eae

Now, to magnetizing. I've decided to magnetize arms of those warriors who have weapon choices available (because I'm slow enough with painting as it is; having to repaint the whole figure just to swap dark lance for the splinter cannon, I would just die of old age before I finish). In the pics below you can see a warrior with a blaster, a trueborn with a dark lance and an archon with an agonizer (from the warriors' kit; I like Wyches' one more but unfortunately I don't have Wyches available) and a pistol. On the next pic are the same guys but disassembled for better understanding.

The magnets. You can freely use 2mm x 1mm discs to magnetize both arms and feet (later about that) of the Dark Eldar. They seem to have too thin limbs but believe me - 2mm is small enough to fit nicely in the shoulder of the arm or into the foot, and not break anything. 1mm thickness of the disc is okay for the feet too, you don't have to drill it through.

The drillling. The only things you really need to drill even the metallic figure are the drills (metal rods with threading) themselves - I use 1mm drill to "mark" the place for the larger drill, an then 2mm drill to make a hole for the magnet. Try to center the marker hole properly, since otherwise your magnetized figure might look ugly - that's what I heard, at least. You don't actually need a pin vice or a hobby drill to use the drills - fingers' strength is enough to drill even through the metal (as I did with my archon), but it does take some time though. And the plastic can be drilled with fingers easily.

Still, the electrical drill helps a lot though if you need to make a lot of holes (and you gonna need 4 of them for a warrior with a special gun, about 7 for the Raider and 9 for the Ravager - I'll talk about that later). I bought one in my local radio shop.

The glueing. Here goes a list of all the tricks I used to make my life easier. Use super-glue to glue the magnets. First do mini with both hands, and then match the magnets for the other bodies/hands with the first set, so you could easily swap guns if you want to (in the pics below there's my Archon with a dark lance and with the blaster, I was just toying with the capabilities that magnets give you). Pick a pair of magnets, match their sides, and mark the ones that you want on the outside (magnetizing to each other) with a marker. Then get a drill (or any other metal rod of 1-2mm thickness), and put the magnet on drill's flat end, marked side down. Now put some glue into the hole. Now place a magnet there, and try to remove the drill. Use a toothpick to make the magnet stay in the hole. Watch carefully for the magnet to stay the marked side up. Use a piece of thick paper to remove the glue leftovers. While you do that, apply some pressure on the paper, it won't glue to the magnet if you don't stop moving the paper but it will smooth it's position down. First magnetize the weapon hand, then the left hand. It takes about an hour to make sure the super-glue sticks to magnets good enough so you can test your work (otherwise the magnets will pull out of their holes and you'll have to start over). When it's ready, glue the weapon hand and the left hand together - you not gonna need them separately anyway. There you go, now repeat that several times.

If you accidentally drill the hole too large or too deep don't worry and just use GS to fill the empty space.

Magnets are pretty strong so they work if you make slight errors in positioning or depth, so don't worry much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04934.jpg (252.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04938.jpg (301.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1307129335063.jpg (233.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1307363660524.jpg (184.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by eae; 06-06-11 at 07:16 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
eae

I also used magnets to make my Raider crew stick to the Raider. I'd like to remove them when the Raider is shot down (or empty), but they fall off after a slightest knock if just "put on" the Raider. So I added 1 magnet to 1 feet of each of the crew (except the gunman who holds his gun tight enough), and I drilled the Raider's sides to put magnets there. Here go the pics. The one with the green stuff is where my drill went awry.

My best work is the magnet below the grill for the captain. I decided not to drill the grill but to do magic instead. I got a larger magnet (3mm x 1.5mm) and I put it below the grill. I then used other magnets to pull it to the grill from below, then I added a drop of super-glue and voila! - my captain stays in place with no visible magnet on the floor below. The force is enough to keep him (and other crew mates) on the floor even when you turn the Raider upside down or shake it. And the snap when you put a guy near his place makes one's soul cheer with joy

When deciding, where to put a magnet on a ship's side, place the crew member where it belongs, and try to press his foot (the one you're going to magnetize) to the surface - that's what the magnet will do once in place. You need to find a position where this kind of pressure will not make changes in the guy's pose (so he/she still holds the side of a ship with a hand or the hook, for instance). Once you're set - drill.

I've also magnetized Ravager's gunners but that's too boring to tell about.

Cheers, hope you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04939.jpg (960.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04941.jpg (1.04 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04942.jpg (262.7 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 08:59 PM
Master of the Watch

Kaiden's Flag is: Wales

Looks great I like the magnets on the archon

Strike Force Crucible <--- deathwatch army log

You are charged with the crime of existance Xenos! - Watch Librarian Auron
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 05:30 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

your DE are coming out nicely man. I can not wait to see more work from you. (yes i love my DE)

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-11, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
eae

WIP. I'm not dead yet! It just takes tons of time and I only got air brush this autumn. And for some reason I'm down from 20 minutes per layer per figure to 30 minutes. And I still don't know why the hell does it take that much time. Guys say they are at about 5 minutes per layer. I'm frustrated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06105.jpg (109.1 KB, 44 views)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-11, 12:38 AM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

look good man. I find im also slow with my air brush that i just got.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode