CSM on a Shoestring Budget - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Yeah, I would blanche at the thought of having such conversions on a Loyalist SM army...one more reason why Traitor Astartes are unequivocally better!

I can't decide whether to go with 3x melta 2x flamer or 2x melta and 3x flamer on the Chosen squad. If I go with the former (and still haven't acquired a spare melta by then), then I'll use this old tutorial of Galahad's...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Flush with money from gifts after graduating high school, I've splurged and purchased some hobby supplies. A new super glue, super glue accelerator, white primer, and a handful of much-needed paints are mine.

Also, I bought a decent chunk of another fellow's army for cheap, since he was trying to sell. The paint job is pretty poor--not up to my standards, at least--so I'll be doing touch-ups and repaintings. My brother is in town for the week, too, and he's expressed an interest in repainting the two rhinos. I may buy the rest of his models, too. That would be 15 more CSM (well, 10 CSM and 5 servitors which he uses in the Iron Warriors vibe), 2 preds, a broken defiler, Huron Blackheart, and a Chaos Lord w/ combi-melta.

I've already started the touch-ups--most visibly adding the red shoulder pads, so I can do my fish-hook squiggle on 'em--but I'll update these pictures with the models further along soon. Also, I've made significant progress on the bikers and their mounts, so I'll get photos of those up soon too.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 06-06-11 at 09:53 PM.
post #13 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 09:56 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

oh mate im loving it, my mate has a similar themed army, he always takes the marines that we have no need for and makes them nurgleyer

post #14 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

I was considering that. Death Guard in a pinch!

I've already used the 4 plasma gunners as a squad of Chosen in a recent battle, where they performed admirably: they killed most of a squad of Striking Scorpions in one shooting phase, then a Wraithlord in another turn. Of course, that was after that Wraithlord had made Kharn eat a krak missile, but...

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #15 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 09:07 AM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

A nice expansion you got Mossy. And a Mk.1 Rhino, rather appropriate for a Chaos army

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #16 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-08-11, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Yeah, that's what I like about Chaos--they can use any mishmash of archive models, kitbashed special weapons, outdated equipment, etc...and still be a perfectly legal army.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #17 of 215 (permalink) Old 06-08-11, 02:09 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I was considering that. Death Guard in a pinch!

I've already used the 4 plasma gunners as a squad of Chosen in a recent battle, where they performed admirably: they killed most of a squad of Striking Scorpions in one shooting phase, then a Wraithlord in another turn. Of course, that was after that Wraithlord had made Kharn eat a krak missile, but...
I second this. I ran a squad in my last game, 5 plasma chosen with a lord with mark of tzeench and a deathscreamer with a combi melta in a rhino. They performed very well even though they melted one of their number.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #18 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Thread necromancy time. All sorts of fun things going on with my models. Since the release of 6e and Codex: CSM, I've gotten back in the modeling saddle quite a bit. I've been swapping and chopping bits and weapons on models to represent the new rules, and have begun to build up a Chaos Daemons allied contingent. I got Dark Vengeance, the squad of plague marines and normal CSM I'm going to mash together, as well as a Cockatrice being split into two different flying monstrous creatures. Finally, I've also got a few walkers recently, which have devolved into a bitz-swapping orgy with my existing 2 Defilers.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a painting desk since I last updated this thread (read: a year and a half, or so), so there's been very little progress painting-wise. That should hopefully change in about a month, but until then, I have to make do with half-painted swaps and unpainted new models.

Though I intend to post up more photos in the coming few days (my daemons, Dark Vengeance models, and all the champs and such I've modified), here are the real highlights:

New codex. Wait, what? Special edition? 0010 out of 1000 (and that's not binary, as much as it looks like it)

I've managed to get some progress in on the Bikers since I last posted:

I'm considering also getting some Chaos Knights to turn into Nurgle Bikers, since these are pretty clearly Khornate Bikers, complete with a Lord w/ Axe of Blind Fury.

I also need an Aegis Defense Line with a quad gun, and to warp with paying $27 for some strips of 5" and 2" plastic, you know what I mean? Can we build it? Yes we can!

I had some 6" stone walls laying around, which were easily chopped to size, and threw in some hull plating from a non-GW modern tank model (some sort of humvee) that I've had pieces of drifting around for years now.

Then I started in on the quad gun, taking a mishmash or random bits:

And straining it down, mixing in a few new pieces, to get this:

Which turned into a final product, all of it, of this:

I needed a Lucius model, and had just the head for it, off of the mutations sprue. That wouldn't be enough, though. Chop some faces off models and green-stuff them to my Noise Champion, throw in some wire, and this fellow:

Magically transmogrifies into this:

I have an old Lord of Change I was considering remaking. I have the arms of the ancient Nagash model, which are very similar to the Lord of Change's arms, so I figure I might as well swap em out to give my Lord of Change some unique flavor. I was missing the wings, however, and could only find a dinky pair off of some non-GW Pegasus model that my sister had painted years back...

Then it struck me. I'd bought a Cockatrice, hadn't I? That could provide wings, plus be a stellar head to add to the Lord of Change--presto, instant kitbashed Fateweaver! I have yet to strip it and assemble it, with lots of fiddliness for non-standard joints between different pieces, but:

My Defiler's had yet another remodeling, stripping away more unnecessary pieces to get it as sleek and mean-looking as possible (also: to accurately represent how easily AV12 gets popped grumblegrumblegrumble), with what is now a very cool power scourge, two less legs, and one of those legs replacing the skeleton cage as a DCCW/Power Fist:

While I was doing that converting, I decided to tear my second defiler literally limb from limb. It was a very cathartic moment, venting my rage at his +45 point cost.

What could I possibly have planned for this sinister hulk?

Am I making a Brass Scorpion?

Or something... more sinister?

Yup, more sinister it is:

NECRODEFILEFIENDGRINDER.

Meanwhile, I ask you, what about the rest of the Necrosphinx? I say, no, no to a Necrosphinx.

I'm making a NECRODEFILEFIENDGRINDER. Another one.

Or as I also call him, a Necroarmadillo:

Hmm, what to do with the Warsphinx howdah? Sure, I'm already using the head on the first Necrodefilefiendgrinder, as well as the tail, but... it seems like a waste of a perfectly good chariot to let this howdah go to waste.

Ah, a chariot! Just the thing for me: an archive Flamer as a Herald of Tzeentch, being pulled by 2 Screamers in the howdah, all over the large base handily supplied by the Necrosphinx? YES PLEASE!

Now, all of this furious kitbashing left me with some odd bitz left over. A pair of Lord of Change arms, a headless chicken--I mean, Cockatrice--and a spare Necrosphinx skull head and pair of wings. So what did I do? I threw it into my magic cauldron and out popped a winged Daemon Prince with the Black Mace. Well, it will be the Black Mace once I find a suitable mace-head to top off the staff:

I know this guy looks really freaky and aesthetically imbalanced. Ah, the joy of Chaos! I'm going to see if I can't fit in some more mechanical bitz to synergize with the rather metallic wings.

We're coming to the close of this lump of photos, but have a teaser of the minor tweak I've made to the Helbrute. I need some more meltas for combi-meltas and the like, so I figured I'd swap out the multimelta for a reaper autocannon. Besides, a fire frenzy of that many autocannon shots is going to give a lot more things pause than a fire frenzy of 2 multimelta shots. I had a spare autocannon sitting around (should have thrown it on a Havoc, and it's not a reaper autocannon--so shoot me), which I converted into a handy fencing epee look-alike for my good Helbrute:

Well, I certainly had tons of fun making these guys, and for most of them, the process is only half done! I hope all of you Heretics have enjoyed the results of my crazed insanity. Let's close this photo dump out on a good note:

CSM Plog, Tactica

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 11-13-12 at 05:20 AM.
post #19 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 04:35 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

Pure Warpness in it's most defiled form. Lovely Mossy, keep in that saddle, this looks better that good .
So, that's why the story went silent...

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #20 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Hmm? Which story would that be? I didn't think I had any unfinished stories on the Fanfiction forum, if that's what you're talking about. If by "story" you mean "plog," sure...

I'm considering swapping the Necroarmadillo and the Necrodefilefiendgrinder's heads, because the Necroarmadillo is looking too a bit too straight-from-the-kit for my tastes, and too much like just a maulerfiend rather than a maulerfiend/forgefiend/soul grinder/defiler(/Helbrute?).

CSM Plog, Tactica

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode