CSM on a Shoestring Budget - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 03:47 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

That is a unique spin on the Heldrake, and it looks very nice indeed!

What layering colours did you use on the bonewhite on the wings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hey congrats! What/where did you order?
Toshiba laptop. A good gaming rig with a plenty-large hard drive. Set me back about $1k, but I think it'll be worthwhile, and I'm excited for its arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
That is a unique spin on the Heldrake, and it looks very nice indeed!

What layering colours did you use on the bonewhite on the wings?
The bone color was actually damned simple, since it's all flat surfaces in recesses with almost no raised edges to highlight or anything (rear and tail aside). White primer, basecoat of 2 layers of Iraqui Sand (a Vallejo paint), a Flesh Wash, and a layer of Bleached Bone (both of which are down to their dregs and will soon be replaced by "Riekland Fleshshade" and other such pretenders). Everything was watered down at around a 50/50 mix. The last layer, after doing touch-ups to blot out black or silver spots from doing the trim, I tried to avoid touching the edges of the trim so there'd be at least a little shadowed wash areas.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #103 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 01:47 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

I just bought a toshiba too for the same price...good choice I think....

Well, it may be simple but I like it the bone colour.

post #104 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

A friend just recieved a model windfall, so I've entered negotiations to purchase 2 Mk.1 Land Raiders, a Mk.1 Rhino, a Bloodthirster, a squad of Havocs, and a bundle of Termis on the cheap.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #105 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-09-13, 06:20 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey, that's excellent! Congrats =)

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #106 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-13-13, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

And with the arrival of the new computer comes... pictures!

First off, I figured I'd try basing the fisticlaws juggerlord with some skulls. Still have to flock the base and paint the skulls, but he looks a bit more in line with the skull-strewn base of the axe juggerlord, now. Well, actually a bit cooler, perhaps, what with the skull-spikes and the half of a much larger skull added...

I've also tired of removing vehicles and saying "this area counts as difficult terrain, all right?" so have made quite a few vehicle exploded area terrain pieces:

Forgefiend and... 60mm.

Defiler, Rhino.

Rhino, Rhino Mk. 1.

Predator, Vindicator (can be Rhinos of course, and vice-versa for prior bases).

Altogether:

I also created a Portalglyph, for good measure. Still needs a good amount of GS.

Did a head swap on my 6 homemade oblits who are in varying stages of painting, thanks to having acquired some dark eldar bits recently, and so added in the perfectly-sized Talos/Cronos heads to the Oblits...

Additionally, threw together a squad of Noise Marines. Used Instruments from my spare daemons bits as sonic blasters, and made blastmasters in two different ways: sticking the largest dragon head from the chaos vehicle sprue on ork shootas, and adding a dirge caster piece to the one basic sonic blaster that came with the original noise marine squad (pre-finecast upgrade kit). Also made a doom siren for my squad champion with another dirge caster.

Champ:

With the Noise Marines I already have from a while back, this puts me up to 2 full squads of 10, plus a noise champ who can be subbed into a ccw squad of my normal marines to signify that they're melee-oriented noise marines instead.

Other squad. I want to make alternates for the icon bearers, in case I don't want to have to spend those points. Seems like a useful option. I have a few unassembled CSM sitting around, but think I've run out of instruments, so it may wait a little while.

The champion leading a squad of volunteer CSM/Noise Marines, alongside my half-painted old noise champ model that I've converted heavily but have yet to repaint--aka Lucius.

Finally, I've painted quite a bit of the Daemon Prince with Black Mace. Not exceedingly happy with how it's turned out, but am content.

He's a bit more "bright green" than I wanted, not the otherworldly blend of blue and green I was hoping for, but he'll do. I also feel that the bright white of the tail and the light blue of the staff are a bit out of place, so since I've taken this image I've repainted the staff to resemble the tip of the tail, tying it in to the theme more strongly and eliminating one color element from the mix (plus throwing a very watered down wash on the tail tip to tone it down a little).

Still not entirely happy, but I haven't given up on the project or thrown my hands up and pronounced it finished yet.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #107 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-13-13, 12:01 PM

Dorns Legacy's Flag is: Great Britain

like the idea of difficult terrain with exploded vehicles and the obliterators look cool, you gunna add any cotton wool to the explody bits for smoke and fire effect making it unpassable?
post #108 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-13-13, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorns Legacy View Post
you gunna add any cotton wool to the explody bits for smoke and fire effect making it unpassable?
Well, seeing as I'll often be deploying a squad of 10 marines (or 9-7 depending on armor saves after S4 hits) in the rubble, that would make deploying a unit pretty hard, I think. Good idea, though--I might incorporate it into the defiler base and such. I also definitely want to paint up some based cotton wool for "wrecked" results, so I can have a plume of smoke rising from the tank hull.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #109 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-13-13, 07:43 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey Mossy,
Looks like you've been busy.

I think the area terrain markets area lovely idea, though I think they need more 'land form', perhaps a bit of a crater and such. I look forward to them painted.

The dark Eldar heads look like good choices for the obliterators but compared to the rest of the model they are awfully clean and tidy.

The mace Prince is a little hard to see in the pics. The paint scheme seems okay. But I still think the wings are too rigid for such an otherwise sinuous model.

I dig the noise marines with all the instruments, but the tacked on gun ends don't work quite so well. Maybe just bigger instruments would naked more sense in the context?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #110 of 215 (permalink) Old 10-01-13, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Few pics of Princebossman in his final state. Pretty happy with how he's turned out.

CSM Plog, Tactica

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode