Angels Of Disease - Nurgle Daemons WIP (Aug 1 - more colour stuff) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-14-11, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Update time...this army's going to progress in a vastly more organised fashion than the ever-growing horde that is Pandemic since, rather than using the 'ooh! Shiny!' approach to building models & units that has characterised Pandemic's chaotic growth, I've actually nailed myself down to working out a specific 1,000-point list and building that. And yes, I'm anal enough to have made a tick-them-off sheet for the building process

So...the latest additions are the final two Plaguebearers to make up the first Troops squad of 7. In addition to exposed hanging guts, this guy has the ornate sword from the old-school metal Chaos Lord (or possibly Sorceror, not sure right now), sharpened via judicious filing to make it look more credibly dangerous:

And this guy's had his left arm cut off and re-posed much lower, with a club from the Ogre Battalion sprue replacing the original triangular sword:

I figure the more variety in the Plaguebearers' weapons, the better. I used two pieces of armature wire to attach the arm for a more secure joint; it was fun to sculpt the flesh around the re-positioned arm, giving the idea of an exposed humerus with rotting flesh peeling off around it. Should be fun to paint

I also made up the bases for the Nurglings, which was interesting as I've never made any Swarm beasties before...

Note the use of at least 3 different eras of Nurgling model here; thanks to the miracle of eBay I've managed to get my mitts upon several old-school Nurgling models, and it seemed a good plan to mix them all up for more variety.

And since it's been a pretty tough week in work this week, I succumbed to the lure of retail therapy and treated myself to these guys:

The plan is, since Beasts of Nurgle are apparently a bit rubbish, to build them up as Plague Riders (I also bought the Plague Rider Plaguebearer models) using the Bloodcrusher rules to give bigger builds of the army a little more punch.

As always, more when I have it...

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-14-11, 05:07 AM

As always, your sculpting is fantastic! It will be interesting to see what you do with those FW guys!

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-14-11, 10:57 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The Ogre Club is an clever choice: the triangular swords never really clicked for me, so changing things up wins with me.

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-14-11, 02:24 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking awesome as usual Svart! I am with Dave about the weapon swaps, they really make the models look 10x better. The additions you have made to the eyes really just make that feature stand out so much better. Keep 'em coming!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Great Unclean One

A brief update once again...I have discovered that I am a very slow painter, or at least it certainly seems that way to me. Here's the first Plaguebearer squad, based and undercoated:

Early days yet, colour-wise, but this should give you some idea of where I'm aiming in terms of the overall look and feel. I also replaced the Ogre club on the arm-replacement model with a curved dagger for that "I'm gonna stab you in the guts" look - it just seemed to suit the pose better. The club will be appearing on another model, though, as it's too nice not to use.

And some of the Nurglings, also based and basecoated:

Rather than use the variegated 'animal hide' look that I'm using on the Plaguebearers (inspired by the sight of a piebald horse while watching 'Game Of Thrones', in fact), I'm using one single base colour on each Nurgling to give each one its own hue. I want to see how much I can do with washes alone, as trying to do full paint schemes for each individual Nurgling would be a lot of work and I've seen people get great results with just one or two basic paint colours and the rest done with washes.

This, by the way, is the 1,000-point list I'm building - a basic Tally list to get me started on the path of Daemons armies:

HQ
• Great Unclean One
– Breath of Chaos
190 points
• Epidemius, the Tallyman of Nurgle
110 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plaguebearers

105 points
• 7 Plaguebearers
105 points
• 7 Plaguebearers
105 points
• 5 Nurglings
65 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• Daemon Prince
- Mark of Nurgle, Iron Hide, Daemonic Gaze
160 points
• Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Iron Hide, Daemonic Gaze
160 points

TOTAL:
1,000 points

Nothing too fancy, but should be a serviceable list to get me going. I think I (finally) worked out yesterday how I want to do the leg armour on my Obliterators, however, so the next update may well be back in the realm of Pandemic...

Nurgle 101 Tutorial

post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 04:27 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Great Unclean One

Brief update - doing two armies at once is proving more difficult than I'd thought, but fun too (since it gives you a greater variety of subject matter, and thereby makes it easier to find something relevant to whatever mood you may happen to be in). Here are the first four members of Plaguebearer Squad 2, converted and ready for basing & painting:

I love the spiky Orc club on the guy on the right. Once the next three are done it'll be basing & painting time again; then on Saturday I'll be acquiring a couple of Finecast Daemon Princes of Nurgle to be the Heavy Support contingent for the army, since being in resin will make those models a hell of a lot easier to convert

As always, more when I have it...

Nurgle 101 Tutorial

post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 08:55 AM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great conversions and painting! The Orc weapons fit into place nicely.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 01:45 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Wonderful conversions Svart! I too really like the guy with the club, very malicious looking. Looking forward to seeing some paint on them.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 06:42 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like the conversions, adds alot more character to the models.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode