Iron Falcons - Saracen Gunship - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-11, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

I made a start on the second model last night...mostly prep work and photographing but I got the main hull constructed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-11, 09:43 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I love this - they look deadly as hell and it seems a fairly simple conversion - make that 5 storm raven kits I need to buy now... not 3
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-11, 10:16 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

*Shakes head*

Putting us all to shame again. =-D

Keep up the good work man, it's an inspiration!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Hi all...been a while since I updated this plog. Truth is I have been a bit lazy the last few weeks so the models have just been collecting dust. Anyway, got a bit of enthusiasm going again so I have been making in-roads to completing the second Saracen and documenting it as I go along ready for the tutorial. I have finally made a decision about a tail fin too. I am not having one...I think the model looks good as it is without cluttering it.

I gave myself a bit of a scare yesterday when I managed to knock a full bottle of liquid poly off my work table all over the kitchen floor...narrowly missing an open box full of new sprues and my box of prepped bits. I think I went through half a roll of kitchen wipe cleaning it up. Thankfully I have a laminate floor so it wiped up fine but man did I have a bad headache for the rest of the day. Good job it wasn't super glue...my wife would have pulled my scrotum up over my head!

Anyway, here are a few more shots for you. I forgot to mention that the main weaponry on this bird is swappable...no magnets required. Although my aim for the tutorial is to be able to build one of these purely from the SR kit I had a few spare bits so I have made myself some extra weapons.

The weapon options for the Saracen are either, TL Assault Cannons, TL Lascannons, TL Autocannons or TL Plasma Cannons. I also plan to hang some bombs off of mine, making it a truly versatile piece of air support either as a stand-off bomber, air to air fighter (great for hunting down pesky Eldar and Dark Eldar) or as close air support hovering over the battlefield.

The different weapon sets will just slide into place and hold through friction. At the moment they fit nicely. I plan to spray them Chaos Black...hopefully if I keep it light there won't be too much resistance...we will see.

Last but not least some show-off shots.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-11, 07:09 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Progressing nicely. Look forward to seeing it finished.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-11, 07:47 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Very nice work Cypher! I love the way that thing is turning out, keep up the good work bud!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-11, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cheers guys. Gonna get some more done this weekend, time permitting. I am still working on getting all my stuff removed from Dikka Dikka...showing my solidarity for Heresy.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-11, 04:20 AM

Mike3D6's Flag is: United Kingdom

Incredible conversion,looking forward to see it finished

Work pending:

Squad Lorenzo Project Log
Blood Angels [Collecting and painting]
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-11, 10:01 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Dude thats a sweet, slick looking flier! Great job so far on the conversion and it looks awesome with out the tail fin.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-11, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
Dude thats a sweet, slick looking flier! Great job so far on the conversion and it looks awesome with out the tail fin.
Cheers mate, I decided as these are both space and atmosphere fighters they didn't really need tail fins or indeed even traditional control surfaces...they use processes called Circulation Control and Fluidic Thrust Vectoring (FTV) which are actually very real, but currently experimental ways of controlling modern aircraft.

Circulation Control

Jets of air along the back edge of the wing change how air flows over the it. This can be used to induce the air flowing over the wing to flow around the back edge of the wing instead of simply flowing past. This produces more lift. By turning off and on jets strategically placed along the trailing edges of the wings, the pitch and roll can be controlled.

I have modeled my own version of this onto the engine cowlings just above the wings using part of the Hurricane Bolter assembly.

Fluidic Thrust Vectoring

Most next-generation fighter aircraft have, or will incorporate, some form of vectored thrust, enabling the pilot to control the direction of thrust from the engine. This greatly increases maneuverability and control of the aircraft, however, conventional vectored thrust technologies require a lot of complicated moving parts at the business end of a jet engine. FTV simplifies things by deflecting the thrust of the jet engine by injecting a higher pressure jet of air along the nozzle wall. This secondary jet deflects the thrust of the engine.

I didn't have to actually model anything for this, however, as a bonus GW nicely modeled what look like thrust vector vanes onto the eflux nozzles of the engines.

On my model these are actually going to act in a couple of capacities. As air-brakes (I envision them all opening like the petals of a flower) but also as control surfaces controlled by the machine spirit to stabilise the fighter in atmospheric conditions. The machine spirit will also independently control thrust from each engine to help control yaw, similar to the way the real life B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber is thought to do.

I am hoping to get on and finish up the second one of these fighters I am currently building and documenting for a tutorial. Life has been getting on the way lately so I need to make an effort.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode