My new GK miniatures. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

4. Adding the magnets to the body.

PAY GOOD ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!

Obviously, magnets have a given polarity. So it's not a matter of jamming some magnets into tiny holes that you drilled out. If you make a mistake with your polarity somewhere, you're basically boned... because the holes you drill should be so precise, that the magnet is a really snug fit. That snug fit however, means the magnet isn't going to come out any time soon after the superglue has set.

So what I suggest, is to do one FULL TEST model before you move on to any others. That one testmodel will determine the polarity of the magnets of all miniatures to follow. This is done so all the miniatures are full interchangable.

Step 1: Getting the body done.

Luckily, for the FIRST BODY you do, you won't have to be worried about any polarities, but you will have to start worrying about that once you start attaching the arms. Once you attached those arms, you can trace back the polarities that will be needed in ALL OTHER bodies from that point on.

You first start by adding 3 or 4 (again, depending on interchangable heads) magnets to the body. It's rather easy for a straight surface luckily. Just take a single magnet and let it attach to a steel stave with a flat end and a noticably larger diameter then the magnet. This can be the “none sharp end” of your 4mm drill, or (as I have used) the back end of a sculpting tool.

Just add some superglue into the hole, press the magnet in firmly, so it sits flush with the surface. Once it's in and the superglue has taken a bit, slide the holding stave down the surface and your magnet should stay in nicely and flush. Do this for all 3 or 4 holes in the body.

Step 2: adding the magnets to the parts that will attach to the body.

Explaining how to take polarity into account is pretty tricky using pictures, so I used my leet paint skills to make this simple diagram to show you how it's done.

Like I said: check, check and double check before you jam your magnet into the opposite part. If it's not right, you are boned. Use that same method of adding the magnets to all parts and bits that you want to magnetise. I cannot do an example for every single magnet I used in these grey knights, but I have taken a picture of a magnetised grey knight that was “disassembled” to show you were all the magets went in this badboy.

Now remember: this is only for a SINGLE weapon configuration. Adding additional weapons however should be easier and take less effort. If you want to add falchions for example, that'll only take you 2 extra magnets, because the arms already have them! Same deal with the personal teleporters. Swapping backbacks should only be a 1 magnet affair, so is the demonhammer or a halberd (if you convert them slightly to be carried by a single hand, rather then two → more on this later!).

Step 3: Making the rest of your models.

Once your FIRST FULL Grey knight is done, you can start doing the others. Using the method to get the polarity right, you can start working your way back to adding the magnets to the rest of you bodies. Just use the magnets in the arms of your first grey knight to get the polarity right for all the bodies of the other guys to follow.

TIP: Make a mark on the bottom of the base or something, to remember wich guy was the “template” sort of speak, for the polarity of all your later miniatures.

A little planning ahead, will get you pretty far. As an example of this, I will show you two pictures of a single body from a grey knight with two different weapon configurations. ALL these weapon configurations are interchangable to different bodies, because the polarities all match.

Doing this on a whole army scale takes some planning. Especially when you consider that the bottleneck for your options will be the shoulderpads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 06:55 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

You need to submit that tutorial into the tutorial section. People have been asking for a magnet tutorial for a while and it was on my plate to do but this thing is spot on! Awesome painting as well.
post #13 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 10:29 AM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Fantastic work on the GK. Really like the look you have achieved.
Magnet Tutorial was very useful. You almost make it sound easy.

post #14 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 10:56 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Fantastic paint jobs, and one of the best tutes I've seen on here. Well thought out and very clearly explained. Well done.
post #15 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

How exactly do I submit this to the tutorial section? I tried once, but it didn't really seem to work at all...

Is there some kind of special way you have to enter these tutorials?
post #16 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-17-11, 04:37 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I am with the others. Your models look very nice and the magnets tutorial is one of the best I have seen yet. Just do a write up, go over to the tutorials section, in this case you are going to probably want to go to the converting section, and add the new thread. You will get a message that says that a moderator will review it. Once they have the tute will be posted in the tutorials section.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #17 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm still waiting on mod approval for the tutorial. But in the meanwhile, I did manage to take a few pictures of my newly painted inquisitorial chimera transport.

It's painted in the traditional demonhunter colors. I recently bought myself an airbrush. It used to be a black tank, cause I wasn't going to paint any tanks white by hand... But now that I have one, I thought it would be a good time to get to know the techniques and get a feel for the airbrushing itself.

I'm also killing two birds with one stone with this one. Like I said in my opening post. I used to be an oldskewl demonhunter player and I had a platoon of inducuted imperial guardsmen in my army. These were painted in the same colorscheme as the chimera. So I took a few side by side pictures with a single squad of the old unit.

Note that I also lost my insanity by sculpting extra armor bits on the guardsman AND then proceding to paint them white. Luckily, under the new codex... They might as well be modeled to be veterans. They also have purity seals sculpted on their shoulderpads.

The old idea was that they were my inquisitor's personally trained guard. So I went for a more zealous, "holy look" for the entire army...

Hope you like the pics!
post #18 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 02:25 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Very nice looking Chimera and Guardsmen! The white on the Chimera is exceptionally nice. Good airbrush work!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #19 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 06:28 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

The guardsmen and the chimera look very good. Nice weathering on the tank.
post #20 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 12:36 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

VERY nice looking models, yeah you should see the tutorial pop up in a few then, I have a couple waiting as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode