Thanks man, I've not been sitting still on this army...
I'm expanding the guard further by adding a blob or 2 of 50 grunts. I started on the first batch (pretty quick painting, but it can still be updated as I get more time).
I managed to score a ton of guardsmen second hand. Many of them new, some painted. But I started on the new blob first:
After assembly and cleaning:
Then, doing the bases step by step, showing what I use to do it:
So, some sand, PVA, some pots to water the PVA down, some small stones and some corkpieces.
I start by just applying PVA to the base (only slightly watered down for easier flowing)
I then apply a bit of PVA to the bottom of a corkpiece and then glue that to the base:
Next, it gets a bath in this mixture of sand and other debris:
Left to dry:
Once it's dry, I apply some random patches of some more PVA:
And then finally, some rocks are added on those new patches:
That's it for the basing. I'll add some pictures of the painting process soon.
Meanwhile, the second blob was painted, but that's been stripped with isopropanol (tip, remove models from their base so you don't end up using a ton of isopropanol... new bases cost next to nothing anyway on ebay).