Blood Angels Successor (at least I think they are) - Sanguis Primus - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Icon Blood Angels Successor (at least I think they are) - Sanguis Primus

After several years of tiptoeing around it, staying close enough to admire the minis, but far enough away to swear never to play it, I finally bought my first 40k codex. This is the beginning of the end...

I then proceeded to design my own color scheme and came up with this:

I was very proud of this design... until I was told it already existed as that of Flesh Tearers. I cried silent tears of shame for my unintentional plagiarism.

In spite of that set back I soldiered on, determined to prove my critics wrong and painted my first Blood Angel Assault Marine using my chosen color scheme:

DISCLAIMER: These are my first painted minis after 5-6 years of not gaming. I used to play Confrontation, and have dabbled in Warmachine/Hordes.

I thought it looked good and proceeded to magnetize the jump packs/back packs, the special weapon marines and Sgt. for three sets of 10-man assault squads. This is what I have come up with so far....

My BAs have yet to see a battlefield, but they sure know how to conga!

My feeble attempt at painting gemstones. I realized later that I painted them incorrectly but currently too lazy to change it:

Having completed that group of assault marines, I proceeded to tackle the company with jump pack straps on their torso. I love the running legs that come in the Assault Marine kit, but dislike the body because I don't know what color I wanted to paint the straps. My friends suggested silver, but I dislike using metallics; I wanted to keep the use of metallic paints to a minimum (I suck at using metallic paints and find it very messy). I then settled with black straps but fear that it drowns out the crest on the chest. I painted one set of straps as a proof of concept:

I'm not really sold on it, but have resigned myself to this just to keep my painting schedule moving along. I'm a VERY SLOW painter and I don't have a lot of spare time due to work and other distractions. Nine more straps to go... *sigh*

The manager of the local GW store offered to help me paint my Rhinos by teaching me the use of an airbrush. I took advantage of his generosity and proceeded to build my vehicles and magnetized two Rhinos/Razorbacks/Baal Predators. I did this because 1) I don't want to paint more vehicles than I need to, and 2) I still don't know how to play 40K so have no idea how I want to build my Rhino/Baals. The side sponsoons were too shy and did not pose for the pictures.

I went a little OCD and crazy and painted the interior of the vehicles too LOL *sigh* *weep*...

A rainy afternoon at the local GW produced these two Rhinos/Baals/Razors. The manager airbrushed/painted one, while I airbrushed/painted the other as we went through the various steps. He showed me how to do one step, then I immediately tried to perform the same technique on the other vehicle. If you look closely, you can tell the difference. The one he painted is so much better! I then went home to continue the vehicles on my own to paint details and highlights. Once I do this, I will return to the local GW to finish the remaining parts. I enjoyed using an airbrush, and have since entertained the thought of purchasing my own.

The goal is to complete a 1250-1500 point Blood Angel Army. Additions will include my HQ Librarian, 2 Sanguinary Priests, a Vanguard Veteran Unit and Honor Guard (both using DC and SG kits), a third Rhino/Baal, Stormraven, and Furioso (pictured below).

A bitz box that contains a Sanguinary Guard kit, Death Company kit, and Assault MArine kit are hiding under the bed.

Thank you for your time. C&C are most welcome.

Last edited by Yoritomo Jiriki; 03-28-11 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 12:43 PM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

You’re off to a very good start. I like the red/black scheme you have picked out. Also, I think the gemstones are not too bad either. I will be following this thread. (+Rep) Keep up the good work.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 12:45 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to teh hobby... I hope you have an Addicts Anonymous hotline number close by

These are looking really good. The painting is surpurb, especially the reflections on the blood drops.

Looking forward to seeing some more painted up!

+Rep

Rev

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 03:09 PM

Meldon's Flag is: Sweden

I must say that I like them! You keep them clean, no overspill that I can se and a good colour combination. I also like the fact that you keep the metalics to a minimum, I share your dislike for them. Keep it up!

+rep for the fine minis

There are no friends in the real world, just less hostile enemies
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:14 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Fine looking minis mate! I really like the red tone of the armor and the paint job is clean and well done.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:29 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Agreed! Good work. Beautiful less-is-more approach. A style I respect quite a bit.

Keep it up!

Cheers,
kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-11, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Not a big update, but I managed to find time to paint shoulder pads! Painting gemstones are a pain in the arse! LOL

P.S. Thanks for the rep, but what is it used for?

Last edited by Yoritomo Jiriki; 03-31-11 at 10:04 PM.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-11, 10:51 PM

These look great man! I'm very impressed, the red is perfect and the black is very clean looking. You are a great painter! Have some rep! (Rep is just for fun. You cant actually do anything special with it)

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-11, 07:55 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

They look really good. Keep up the good work.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-11, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Two Blood Angel assault squads look rather imposing hehe ... now if only I could complete the rest of the army *sigh*

I still haven't figured out what planet they are on though LOL ... suggestions?

Last edited by Yoritomo Jiriki; 04-04-11 at 10:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode