Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Tossidins painting log for those rare occassions when he actually paints something!

7K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  Lemmy1916 
#1 ·
Hello guys!

(Warning! There will be rambling, so skip intro if you want, it won't hurt my feelings!)

Some information about me (I am so awesome I deserve the attention!):
I am that guy who has the "slow painter who never paints" tag on him. I deserve it, of course, cause it is true. It is also kinda sad, as painting is one of those things I really wish I did more of, rather than my usual "new army comes out, buy that army!", which I guess some of you are familiar with. :grin:

Anyway, I have had 3 project logs so far, all of them faiding away as I never really get any progress done. So, instead of making another blog for my newest army, which I surely won't finish (But hey, I am gonna give it a try!), I am starting this blog, for those rare occassions when I actually get some painting done!

My first 40k army was Blood angels. Started them since I thought their omnibus was awesome, and it drew me into the game. "Sadly", I went over to the eldar instead, as I never managed to play with the pdf codex.
Not surprisingly, I was excited when they got a new codex. Not only did they get some really nice looking models, but an all jump pack army was now (kinda) viable! Not that long after the codex came out, I bought a bunch of Assault marines / Death company / sanguinary guard. Who are, of course, gathering some nice looking dust.

I have a dream! To paint this army up to "best painted" standard (which has been my failed goal with all my armies). And, I want to give it another try. This is why I am starting this blog.
But there is 1 important thing. They are blood angels no more. As I feel there are so many blood angel armys out there, I want to represent something different. That being a successor chapter of course. One of them really caught my eye when I read "Black rage", the third book in the blood angels series. And that was none other, than the Angels Sanguine.

So, onto my first "test model" (not finished, and yes, I have shown him before):

He turned out "quite well". I am not happy with him, but it is an unfinished test piece so what can I expect? It gave me much experience on how to deal with the colour scheme at the least.

But the important part is that I have started to paint another model! Here is a (bad) picture of what he is looking like right now on my desk, and I promise that I will give you an update later today, so you may judge for yourself how you think the progress is going (yes shitty picture I know).
(Yes, I love all C&C I can get, so if you have any opinion, please share it!)

I am doing this in the hope that it will push me to actually finish him :p

Hope you will like him. Cya laters! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
He turned out "quite well". I am not happy with him, but it is an unfinished test piece so what can I expect?
What's wrong with the model, I think it looks top notch.

#7 ·
It's not that it is "bad". It is more that there is something that "irks" me about it. I don't know what. I have always been that way, it may be a reason for why I use so extremely many hours on each figure.

"By the looks of it you're a skilled painted, how come you do it so seldomly?"

I have asked myself that exact question way too many times to count :p
Thanks for the nice comment though! Let's see if I cant back it up

"I like the shading on the fist"

Thanks. That is in fact the 1 thing about the model I like the most. Was another thing I tested and it is something I think I will continue with, as it gives some nice contrast.

Thank you all for the feedback! Much appreciated! I am keeping it short though as I am continuing on the model shown above. that is a model I am quite sure I will be happy about, so no more of the pessimistic stuff for now :)

@ DastonedOrk: Ninja!
I will look into you bloog later this evening and write up my red recipe then :)

@ Zodd: Thank you! We are 2 about that ;)

#3 ·
Oooh, someone has captured the elusive Tossidin and forced him into conformity :p

By the looks of it you're a skilled painted, how come you do it so seldomly?

What's wrong about the test marine? The red armour looks excellent and you've pulled of the highlights on the black armour really well. The blue effect on the power first looks well executed. The only thing a bit off would be the skull on the chest plate in my eyes (apart from the other unfinished details of course).

Angels Sanguine are awesome simply because they have a halved scheme, so it's a good choice!

I know about the gathering miniature disease, apart from all the things I have for space marines (which are quite a lot) I have an unpainted Daemon Army and an unbuilt IG army pretty much in boxes on a shelf. Now I have some GKs on the way, but I'm going to use them for conversions for my other marines (so it's all good in the long run :p).

#10 ·
as a slow painter myself, Ill give you my tip I use to fet me to paint: tell yourself you WONT BUY more models until the ones you have are finished. IE: I wont buy any more DE until the ones I have now are finished, then ill buy more and repeat the ideal. youd be suprised at how much faster you paint, how much easier it seems, when you do it this way.

#11 ·
I think your models look fantastic. The glow on the power fist is, as has already been said, really nice, and your halves are very clean and nicely executed. Keep up the good work. I have found that the cure for slow painting is to paint more. The more you do it the more comfortable you will become and the faster you will achieve the results that you desire. Look forward to more of your stuff.

#12 ·
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it!

"Have you analysed why you do paint when you do?"

I have thought a little about that. I found that I paint because I enjoy it, actually. It is that simple.
The reason for me painting on rare occations, could maybe be because I am a slacker, and could rather just sit down with a video game than "working" with paint. I think it is something mental that I will have to work with, so I can define "painting" like I do "gaming", if that makes some sence

Anyway, I promised I would show my progress, so here is the model as he stands now (Sorry for the bad pictures, will work on that):

What have I done:
Work up the red, now only missing the orange hightlights
Defined the gold, still more layers to do
Washed all the metal
Based the wings (may have to do it differently)
Various details

It is still far from finished, and it may not look like I have gotten much further, that being because I am so slow, and that I work wery much on getting the red to the standard it is at now.

And now for my super secret recipe for red! (as it was asked for).
I'm gonna be so kind that I share it with you!

The Eavy metal way of painting red, described in the White Dwarf feautering Space Hulk :grin:

1: 1:1 Blood red and Dark flesh
2: 2:1:1: chaos black, blood red and dark flesh for blacklining (Yes you can rather use a wash if you want. I would recomend devlan mud if so)
3: 3:1 blood red and dark flesh
4: Pure blood red

This is what I have done on the figure above

Highlighting:
5: Blazing orange
6: 2:1 Blazing orange and vomit brown
7: Wash it all with Baal red to tie the layers together
8: Stage 6 again, to bring out the highlight

Thats my "what to do" list on the red armour

Hope you like him so far. Any C&C welcome! :)

#18 ·
"Have you analysed why you do paint when you do?"

I have thought a little about that. I found that I paint because I enjoy it, actually. It is that simple.
The reason for me painting on rare occations, could maybe be because I am a slacker, and could rather just sit down with a video game than "working" with paint. I think it is something mental that I will have to work with, so I can define "painting" like I do "gaming", if that makes some sence
Complete sense. There are several things I really enjoy doing whilst I am doing them (painting among them) that I have difficulty starting because of the effort involved to set things up &c.

#14 ·
Hmmm. could it be because you use too much of the wash? It will gather in "pools" on the model if too much is used, and will result in there being dark patches on the model (looking dirty?). Do you have a picture? It would be easier to try and address the problem if I had something to look at :)

#21 ·
your craving the sense of accomplishment you get from completeing a good paint job, nothing wrong with that toss.

#22 ·
Guess who is f***ing back!? :grin:

Hey again everyone, been a long time since I updated this log (I did warn you right?), but I have finally got the motivation and time to start painting something again. Since it is such a long time since I really painted (not counting this logs updates), I find I am lacking the knowlegde I once did, aka, I have forgotten many of my own methods and mixes... lol. Anyway, I am quite happy with the chap I am painting on at the moment, and thought I would use it as an excuse to bring my glorious log back to the front page ;)

Here is some wip pictures of the space hulk terminator I am working on:

The two last pictures is where I am at the moment, excuses for bad pictures, cba to put up any lightbox or whatever at the moment :p

I have some questions for you though, and would appreciate your thoughts on it!

1: The colour on the gems. I am using purple (looks to pink at the moment maybe) like eavy metal did on the studio models. I am considering if I should use another colour instead, blue green, deep red... thoughts?

2: The wax on the purity seals. I am opting for a deep red at the moment, though I have been considering green. thoughts?

3: I really want to do some freehand, as it kinda is my trademark when painting (or so I like to think), so if any one of you have any ideas for what or where I could do it I would be happe to have your thoughts on it! I have been thinkining of doing it on one or both shoulderpads, maybe the helm, or the tabard...

Thanks for your time, C&C is as always welcome, though it is a wip at the moment.
Expect udates in the not to distant future, or else you will just have to slap me or something... :)

- Tossidin out

#26 ·
Hah, then I will just have to MAKE you like it :3

Dont know why I dont paint more often arumichic, though I agree, I should paint more.

As for your question Meldon, you can see him on the fourth picture, if you are really, really good! :p
When I first got the motivation to paint I didn't want to continue on a model I had already painted on, and I hate painting those wings now lol. Gonna finish him whenever I feel like it ;)

Anyway, a big thanks for the nice comments guys! It really keeps me motivated :)
I have opted for green seals and purple gems at the moment, as I don't want too much green. Freehanding will come on it's own I guess, a squad marking or whatever I come up with (to damn little space on these termis lol). Let's see how it ends up- If I am lucky I will continue tomorrow!

Good night happy painting :victory:

#24 ·
So, why aren't you painting more often???? :)
You're a great painter and should keep painting. :)
I like your style. It's really nice and clean.

As for the seals, you might want to go with a dark green since the armor's red already and it won't show up that much on top of the armor.
As for the gems, that's entirely up to you. Maybe try it first in the "purple" and see where it goes from there.

#25 ·
I think your models is looking really great, even though they are not completly done :)

As for the questions:
1-2: I think green would be the best option for both the seals and gems as green will make the stand out a little more, If you paint them purple and red the will disapear into the model a bit to much I´m afraid.

3: If you want the freehanding to be clearly visible I would say that the left kneepad and maybe the back of the powerfist would be the best places.

And now a question of my own, what happend to the dude with wings?? I wanna see him done as you did really good progress on him. :)

Keep up the good work!

#28 ·
The divided scheme is very nicely done mate! Personally I think that you should do the gems green and purity seals a nice purple color. Just my two cents. Keep up the good work!

#29 ·
Hello again! I recently decided to start painting another army (yep, deal with it Tossidin, more to paint!), so I have just finished the first model (a test so to say), and as I am totally new to the paint scheme, I can't say that I think it is perfect, but I really think I have the makings of something good if I just step up and learn myself to paint the scheme better.
I would like some suggestions on how to improve it. Is the main colour to dark? Learn to make smoother transitions into green etc.

Pics of my wery First Alpha Legionnaire!:

From start:

On the way: (wow what did I think when I painted that sword -.-)

To finish:

C&C is welcome as always! :)

#30 ·
I am not the biggest fan of hard edge highlights, but I think for the most part it works here. The shoulder pads look a little odd, but for the most part I like it. Keep up the good work man.

#32 ·
You' re back!

The metallics look good; the chest eagle looks great.

The highlights seem too thick to me and the jump between base and highlight seems too far. I suggest putting medium edge highlights (maybe even as much as you have currently) with 1:1 mix of base and highlight then putting thinner edge highlights over the top.

#33 ·
You' re back!
:wild:

Thanks guys. your comments really motivate me to get some more work done :)

You are wery right Dave, the highlights are way too thick, and too light, though they are a little more subtle when I ain't pointing my paintinglamp at it though.
I am going to try and pull off your suggestion on the next model, as it was the original plan, I just didn't manage to pull it off so to say

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.