Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Tossidins painting log for those rare occassions when he actually paints something!

7K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  Lemmy1916 
#1 ·
Hello guys!

(Warning! There will be rambling, so skip intro if you want, it won't hurt my feelings!)

Some information about me (I am so awesome I deserve the attention!):
I am that guy who has the "slow painter who never paints" tag on him. I deserve it, of course, cause it is true. It is also kinda sad, as painting is one of those things I really wish I did more of, rather than my usual "new army comes out, buy that army!", which I guess some of you are familiar with. :grin:

Anyway, I have had 3 project logs so far, all of them faiding away as I never really get any progress done. So, instead of making another blog for my newest army, which I surely won't finish (But hey, I am gonna give it a try!), I am starting this blog, for those rare occassions when I actually get some painting done!

My first 40k army was Blood angels. Started them since I thought their omnibus was awesome, and it drew me into the game. "Sadly", I went over to the eldar instead, as I never managed to play with the pdf codex.
Not surprisingly, I was excited when they got a new codex. Not only did they get some really nice looking models, but an all jump pack army was now (kinda) viable! Not that long after the codex came out, I bought a bunch of Assault marines / Death company / sanguinary guard. Who are, of course, gathering some nice looking dust.

I have a dream! To paint this army up to "best painted" standard (which has been my failed goal with all my armies). And, I want to give it another try. This is why I am starting this blog.
But there is 1 important thing. They are blood angels no more. As I feel there are so many blood angel armys out there, I want to represent something different. That being a successor chapter of course. One of them really caught my eye when I read "Black rage", the third book in the blood angels series. And that was none other, than the Angels Sanguine.

So, onto my first "test model" (not finished, and yes, I have shown him before):

He turned out "quite well". I am not happy with him, but it is an unfinished test piece so what can I expect? It gave me much experience on how to deal with the colour scheme at the least.

But the important part is that I have started to paint another model! Here is a (bad) picture of what he is looking like right now on my desk, and I promise that I will give you an update later today, so you may judge for yourself how you think the progress is going (yes shitty picture I know).
(Yes, I love all C&C I can get, so if you have any opinion, please share it!)

I am doing this in the hope that it will push me to actually finish him :p

Hope you will like him. Cya laters! :)

See less See more
#34 ·
As the name of this log says, rare occassions indeed :3

So, I have been thinking of painting some imperial guard for quite some time, but never really came up with a colour scheme I was happy with. But, some months ago and idea magically appeared in my head, and some months later this was created:

It is a test piece for a potential army. I really like the colour scheme, though it was all done just based on the idea in my head, so I may be able to improve it. The base is just some random crap I created, I was thinking of him standing in mud, artillery having blown the bejeesuz out of everything and such.
As I haven't painted anything serious in half a year I am quite happy with him to be honest, but I would like some C&C on my choises of colour and execution, and some ideas on what to base them on wouldn't go amiss!

And of course, in my exitement I just had to tell you all that I painted something :)

#37 ·
Thanks to the both of you!

I see what you are getting at Dave, I just thought that it would make sence that hard lined armour would give off a little more "shine" than worn out cloth. I failed at making the brown as dark as I wanted, maybe it would have contrsted better if I did it right?

#38 ·
I see what you are getting at Dave, I just thought that it would make sence that hard lined armour would give off a little more "shine" than worn out cloth. I failed at making the brown as dark as I wanted, maybe it would have contrsted better if I did it right?
The armour should definitely have a harder shine; however I feel the cloth needs more interest, so either a layering up over a wider range or maybe a camouflage pattern.

#39 ·
Hello Tossidin,

The yellow looks fantastic and the detailing you have done on his face is super. Well done Sir. As for the yellow, it's great, however, trying to do a camo pattern to match it might be kinda hard. I wish I could give you some more advice, but unfortchantely I havent worked with yellows that much.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE

#44 ·
Thanks for all the great input and compliments, it is greatly appreciated, and keeps motivated to continue.
Zxyogi, do you have nay pictures of them on your log? Gotta check it out, maybe it could be of any help / inspiration :)
Khrone forever, I can try and show how I do it when I paint the next guardsman. Tohugh in written form it is:
Tallarn flesh
Tallarn flesh + bleached bone on raised areas
Tallarn flesh + more cleached bone on the extreme edges
Ogryn flesh wash to brign it together.
It is quite simpel if you have a small brush and a little steady hand. The wash works magics :p

Anyway, in the hopes of this log not reaching page 150 anytime soon, I thought I would show a little update on the company command squad. I am trying to make them a little original with some minor conersions, and I try to catch a "theme" with each model. Ideas are welcome, though these guys are primed and ready to be painted (hopefully tomorrow).

Company commander:

The idea is an image of a commander who won't give up just because of some "minor" injury, and who will keep on fighting on the frontline.

Meltagun Veteran:

I wanted to catch the theme of "severly wounded with gun still pointing forwards". I wrecked his helm at the left tempel, and also cut a wound on his head to show the resulting (luckily) "minor" wound, I may paint some blood streaks running from it.

Regimental advisor (Astropath):

I wanted to make it look like he is really lost in his own thoughts, "oblivious" of the battle around him.

Hopefully you can see them with some paint on in the nearest future. I have decided to continue with the same scheme and making the brown darker and more interesting. Anyway, C&C on the minor "conversions" is appreciated.

Untill next time :popcorn:

#45 ·
Quick update! :)

Finished the brown, the rest is just basecoated. What do you think of the brown as it is now? I dunno if I should tone it down a little with some ogryn flesh, or if the yellow will draw some attention away from the extreme highlights when done. Guess I will just have to find out when they are finished.

#48 ·
Minor update:

Now you can see how the yellow meshes with the brown. I quite like it now, thanks for all the input that helped me!
Also, I have decided to not go with brown bases. I am thinking grey bases, with some light green in the cracks. Will see how that idea turns out.
That's it for now, cya laters

#49 ·
Much better! More work in the long run, but in the end it pays off! Well done. Your idea for the bases should be a good one as the brown would have been to much. Now you will only need to repeat this process another 60-90 times...hehehehe!

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE

#50 ·
Ok, they are finally done! I am not 100% happy with them, but they work :)
The bases are experimental, still don't know how I wan't to paint them. Keep in mind that the green on the grey one doesn't nearly stand so much out in real life.

Astropath:

Close up of the skull, quite happy with it, especially since I haven't painted any bone in ages!

Melta veteran
Got a paint smudge on the right shoulder, really annoying but hey, I can only blame myself! Oh, and I suck at painting blood :p

Close up of the face:

C&C appreciated!

Untill next time :popcorn:

#54 ·
Tossidin, other than whats been mentioned already about the bases I think they turned out looking great. The Astropath however looks likes hes dancing "perhaps doing the Mumba?" witha smile on his face...lol!

Good job.

Regards,
DoE

#58 · (Edited)
Very inspiring stuff, Tossidin! The yellow you've achieved suits imperial guards very well. In fact, I like it so much it put some ideas in my head about my own guard detachments for my Space Marines (damn you!!!). It also looks more promising to paint yellow with the new Citadel Colours (which I recently ordered but haven't received yet) so you might see me try it out soon (I'll be sure to point people here if I do).

For me, the one thing that lets the bases down aren't the choices of colour on them - rather the fact that the shapes on them doesn't convey the feel of mud. I don't have any good tips on how to achieve that effect that I've tried mysel but I would try something like if I was going to do it this.

#59 ·
Thanks again for all the nice comments!
Gotta appologize for lack of work done lately, haven't really had the time/motivation at the right time.
There is a tournament coming up in less than 2 weeks though, and this time I want to win the "best painted model" award. Theres motivation for ya. As for what model to paint, I have been thinking of a twc wolf lord conversion for quite some time. I listened to "thunder from fenris" and realised that the marines were fightning beside their wolves, not always on top of them. Got the ideas rolling, and when the plastic thunderwolves came out I just knew I had to make one.
Here is where I am at. Quite close to finished but have some touchups to do, like repairing the shoulder. I am no expert with green stuff, but I attempted to make a mountain/rock for the wolf to stand on (now no one can complain on lack of hight). It will have basing materials on top, but the sides may stay as they are.

And a picture of some fenrisians (who promptly finished of a 1 wound trygon after the battleleader failed to finish it), just to show what kind of basing material I will use:

All C&C is welcome. This will be a centrepiece for my army so I got to make sure it looks good (better than the canis model at least...).
Also, what colour should the wolf be? The lord is going to be painted codex grey into fortress grey with some subtle purple and blue washes in the resecces to bring out some blue tones in the grey. The base is bone/brown and the rock is... brown. I have been thinking white, but am open for suggestions!

Untill next time :)

#60 ·
Interesting. If what you have done with your guard transfers over to your wolves, they will def be something to be proud of.

Looking forward to seeing your next update!

Regards,
DoE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.