Iron Falcons - Hercules Land Raider - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

Default Iron Falcons - Hercules Land Raider

Background

I have been toying with the idea of posting up the details on my Hercules Land Raider for a while now so here goes.

The basic concept for my Marine Chapter is that it is based around Techmarines and the search for ancient knowledge. I first had the idea back in 1995 when they released some nice Techmarine models but it never got beyond some rough sketches.

It wasn't until 2007, during a clear-out of some old papers that I found my original sketches for the Hercules. By this time the current Land Raider kit was out and a number of other plastic kits had me coming up with possible conversion idea's. I eagerly got to work on the project over the summer of 2007 and below is my documented work.

Although I got quite a lot of work done, kids, work and other conversions have taken up my time since and the Hercules was shelved part done.

Just recently I have revived the project so I thought now would be an ideal time to post up my work.

The Hercules

I started with a regular Land Raider and had half an idea of what I wanted to achieve. I wanted the finished item to look functional and rugged. I also knew I wanted it to be able to tow damaged vehicles and deal with twisted wreckage AND I wanted it to be able to carry my Forge Lord and a retinue of Servitors and/or Tech Adepts. I didn't want the model to be offensive...more a transport and recovery vehicle, however, I did want it to be able to defend itself should the need arise.

I quickly discovered that the leg sprues from the Chaos Defiler would be ideal for what I had in mind (and at that time you could buy the sprues seperately from GW). As the project continued I found a use for just about everything except the Defiler chassis!

Basic chassis build

Having built the basic structure I made a start on the Twin Linked Multi-Melta and towing boom. The Multi-Meltas were fairly easy to build as it only involved pinning a couple of metal MM's together and mounting them on a spare Whirlwind turret base.

Multi-Melta construction

The boom construction involved chopping up a couple of the Defilers legs (I kept the ball joints for later) and gluing them together. I also had a couple of Terminator teleport homers that looked right sat underneath the boom.

Test fit of the Boom.

Once I was satisfied with the look and fit of the boom I cut out some of the engine vents from the upper hull to allow the boom to 'sit-in' to the hull. I also filed some 'chain runs' into the top of the boom.

Boom fit.

Finally, the end plates from a couple of IG vehicle HK missile tubes were cut into the hull to provide a location for the lifting chains to run into, giving a feel that the chains could be tensioned independently of the booms movement.

Top view of the hull plate.

The final part of the upper hull structure was to make the towing hook. The fact that I rarely throw any bits away came to the rescue here. I found the lower torso from a plastic Dreadnought I had converted for my Whirlwind Walker. This provided the bulk of the lifting tackle and the end portions from an IG dozer blade were perfect for a nut/bolt assembly the chain would run through. The pictures show the original jewelers chain I used but I didn't think it was coarse enough and ended up ordering a couple of lengths of chain from Forge World that I linked together to make a single piece.

Lifting Tackle

The hardest part of the lifting tackle was the hook itself. I did look around for a week or so at various modelling websites and shops but in the end I had to manufacture it from an Ork axe or something similar (can't quite remember now). It's not fantastic and I may come back to it and make a better one at some point.

Lifting Tackle hook

With the upper hull done I turned my attention to the sponson mounts. I had always planned on having some kind of hydraulic Salvage arms on either side of the Hercules, rather than something mounted on top of the hull as others have done. After a few scribbled ideas I went with the claws and arms from the Defiler after removing all the Chaos markings.

I designed the arms so they could travel horizontally through the 180 degree arc of the sponson weapons mount but also be able to rotate through 360 degrees on a collar to allow them to grapple battlefield wreckage. The Hurricane Bolter armour from a Crusader provided a nice finish to the look of the arms and those swivel joints I cut off the Defiler arms earlier were used as end caps to cover the pinning I used to hold the arm to the collar.

Rotating Collar close-up

End Cap (opposite side to the collar)

Both Salvage Claws complete.

The next step was to glue the upper hull in place. I added little touches to the vehicle at this point like making the tow cable and converting an old Mole Mortar so it looked like it had a folding stand. I managed to cut out an auxiliary tow cable and connectors and glue them to the Herc's rear as well. The picture clearly shows the Adeptus Mechanicus symbol I cut off of something (the Land Raider engine block I think) and glued in place on the lower ramp.

I decided at this point that I would glue the ramp shut, having never been a fan of being able to open it up. The main factor behind this was that I really didn't have the time or inclination to paint the interior before assembly (just impatient I guess).

Final hull assembly

I undercoated and basecoated the model once it was dry. I did do some basic painting on the models components but by this time I had run out of steam a little and work was getting in the way.

When I put the project on hold I was only half happy with what I had achieved. For one, the paintjob was irritating me. I have never been very happy with my vehicle painting techniques, especially with large flat expanses and two, I thought the Herc was looking a little stumpy at this point. I toyed with the idea of using some old IG dozer blades to make a suitable dozer blade for the Herc but it never reached fruition...until recently.

Well, thats it for now as it's getting late and I have an early start tomorrow. More to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 01:08 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Do you have rules for this? It looks outstanding.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 03:15 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Very nice, I love the idea of a techpriest Land Raider

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Do you have rules for this? It looks outstanding.
Unfortunately no...it's on my to-do list along with the rules for all my other wacky inventions. I am just trying to complete my outstanding projects conversion-wise so I can concentrate on painting. Fluff and rules will come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Very nice, I love the idea of a techpriest Land Raider
It's been a long time coming...she 'aint quite there yet but she's damn close. I just hope my painting skills can do the model justice.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 12:23 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

its definitly a very interesting project. +rep

cant wait to see it 100% completed.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
its definitly a very interesting project. +rep

cant wait to see it 100% completed.
Cheers mate.

I don't have much time to update the log at the moment (need to sort out the photo's) but here's a quick taster of what it currently looks like. I stuck my Forge Lord next to it for a bit of scale.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 12:55 PM

What a unique idea.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 02:49 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Man, that is an excellent idea! And well executed to boot!

With those arms I'd almost expect to see a big wagon bed behind the land raider to store enemy battlefield wrecked for later research and recycling.

Hmmm, I can only imagine that the Adeptus Mechanicus has one hell of a recycling program. I'd love to see somebody take this even further with . . . a trash picking titan, scouring old battle fields for raw material to recycle and continue driving the Emperor's war machine!

I wonder if there's a good way to mix a recycling symbol with the mechanicus one . . .

Wow, such an inspiring project. You're work is always believable (within the game). Your projects seem very well thought out, and logical.

Impressed as always,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 06:16 PM

zxyogi's Flag is: England

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 06:33 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

Outstanding project ! And that dozerblade, extended version ? Those Salvage-claws look nasty in combat with other vehicles. +rep.

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode