Forces of the Imperium - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

piemaster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Forces of the Imperium

A gathering place for all my present and forthcoming Imperial projects. I love IG and Space Marines can be badass at times. I currently run Cadian, Catachan and my own home grown chapter. I will post fluff when fluff is due if people want of if I can be bothered (the latter most likely as this is my thread and I'll do with it as I please).

So I have this oath not to buy many models until my collection is all painted. A hard task I know. I had these 10 marines knocking about in my foam for years now and decided to paint them. I removed the assault squad's arms and went for the vanguard veteran force org slot instead.

I ebay-ed some deathwach & terminator honours shoulder pads so that I could better display pimpage on the field. Painting will help this. Pics.

Arms will be magnatised for super awesome awesomeness.

I really like the idea of only being able to enter the 1st co by serving time in the deathwatch (even before the RPG - that chapter approved article was too cool) and so a high proportion of veterans will have deathwatch pads or other such lofty heraldry.

A regular tac squad. I know, a 5 man squad can't have a meltagun. I'll have to get more marines to fill in the gaps but for now at least I have something to paint.

The metal arm is from the oop devastator kit and was a bitch to cut and file if I remember correctly. For those interested in paint scheme and some fluff you can check here.

This is an ongoing project and will contain lost of Imperial goodness ofer the years. Expect gaps between mini projects as I have other armies in need of love and attention!

Anyway, thanks and until next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 06:30 PM
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

A word of advice about magnetizing, don't overdo it on each miniature. I find that 2 magnetic points on each miniature (left arm and backpack, right arm and backpack, both arms and so on) is about as much as you can do before it's starting to get confusing - specially on a squad basis. I concur that it's good to be able to try different options but sometimes less is more
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 08:18 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Nice work, can't wait to see these guys painted .

Bane of Kings Out

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-11, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Xenobiotic and Bane_of_Kings for your interest. I have made some progress and plan to have more done over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
A word of advice about magnetizing, don't overdo it on each miniature. I find that 2 magnetic points on each miniature (left arm and backpack, right arm and backpack, both arms and so on) is about as much as you can do before it's starting to get confusing - specially on a squad basis. I concur that it's good to be able to try different options but sometimes less is more
I heed your warnings. Don't worry, they're keeping their jump packs. I just wanted to try my hand at being able to swap out weapon options. It worked really well on my CSM terminators and I wanted more of the same.

I hope you don't mind xeno, but I wanted to try my hand at replicating to some extent how you achieved your excellent white armour. Originally I painted white over a codex grey base layer but I found this just wasn't what I was after. It sufficed but since seeing your minis I couldn't resist.

Well, here are some pics. Sorry they're a little on the blurry side. I had to take them in haste. I was thinking about the white areas of their armour. I have been reading this amazing Blood Angels successor chapter thread and I wanted to try it out - after all you can't highlight white.

The bone armour is going to get highlighted up and cleaned a bit and I still have a fair amount of work to do. I also washed the yellow to prep it for the 2nd layer of yellow. I am planning to do purple power weapons as as it stands, all mine are simply metallic and I wanted to try out something new. I'll see if I can get some sort of sheen to them.

Then its just simple detail work then the highlight on the black armour. Oh, I think I might even buy some gold. For the moment I've been using tin bits and while its highly useful its not 'Marine' enough for my liking. Mind you, I don't have any more space in my paint cases for another paint. Hmmm.

Thanks guys for takin' a looksey. Comments on how to improve things and any suggestions are welcome. This army is really a learning exercise for me at the moment. After these babies I have a whole bunch o' guard to build/paint and some older Marines to strip and paint again so this should keep me going, plus all of my other projects.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-11, 04:18 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good start to your army. I like the colour scheme your using.
On the gold front I have always preferred dwarf bronze, as I think it covers better than some of the other options.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 06:48 PM
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaster View Post
I hope you don't mind xeno, but I wanted to try my hand at replicating to some extent how you achieved your excellent white armour. Originally I painted white over a codex grey base layer but I found this just wasn't what I was after. It sufficed but since seeing your minis I couldn't resist.

Well, here are some pics. Sorry they're a little on the blurry side. I had to take them in haste. I was thinking about the white areas of their armour. I have been reading this amazing Blood Angels successor chapter thread and I wanted to try it out - after all you can't highlight white.

The bone armour is going to get highlighted up and cleaned a bit and I still have a fair amount of work to do. I also washed the yellow to prep it for the 2nd layer of yellow. I am planning to do purple power weapons as as it stands, all mine are simply metallic and I wanted to try out something new. I'll see if I can get some sort of sheen to them.
I'm glad you found my method to your liking, it's always nice to inspire others! Remember that many thin layers of wash are better than a thick one when using this approach. If you do it in a controlled manner I find that I don't even have to do any clean-ups (then again I'm after a dirty armour so the effect is nice for me). As you mentioned yourselves these miniatures need some clean-up to remove the streaky character in the shading.

I highly recommend experimenting with washes, I love doing it and most of my miniatures have a multitude of washes used on them!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-11, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

So I've been a busy boy over the last couple of days and have got most of the marines painted. I re-painted the bases on a 10 man tac squad so they all matched and I did some highlighting. All I have to do now is a few washes (to darken the highlights on the black armour and to drab up the white), eyes and a few bits and bobs here and there. Oh, and drill and magnetise. But apart from that, they're mostly done. Took ages mind. I started a new job and while its pretty badass I don't have all that much time for hobby.

Anyway enough rambling! Pics! Lots of 'em this time. I was working on like 20 guys in all.
Group photo

Sgt.

Vets

Tac squad w meltagun

Tac squad master crafted plasma pistols

They'll be put on the back burner for a bit while I get some chaotic goodness done but I'll fix their arms and prepare the next set of marines. I could do with an HQ. I was thinking of Sicarius but for now my old one will have to do. You know the metal guy w storm bolter & power sword.

I'm going to get some dettol this week to begin the stripping process of my ~10 year old models. I'm revamping them - giving them the love they deserve. You can look forward to more tac marines, a command squad and terminators on 25mm bases [gosh!].

I've been eyeing up the Ravenwing box set and DA veterans too but they'll have to wait. I have a cool ass idea for a master of the forge on bike w conversion beamer. I can't wait! Oh, and I just noticed some mould lines and the insides of bolter muzzles need to be painted [gasp!].
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-11, 10:37 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Loving this! The black and yellow colour scheme looks really good. That sergeant with the duel plasma pistols is badass!

I dig your oath not to buy any more stuff until you've painted what you've got. I made the same pact but then saw lots of Forge World goodies that were too tempting

Rev
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-11, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

So another update! I haven't touched my marines since the last post. I got bored of painting and I was feeling a little apprehensive about magnets to tell you the truth. I don't know why as I have done it before. I guess I was scared about getting cloudy white glue on nicely painted areas.

I have been working on my beloved IG. "Guardsmen?" I hear you ask. Well, guard are awesome and I have a sizeable Cadian and fleeting Catachan army. A while ago I bought the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium which is a totally badass 2nd Edition supplement. Inside its hallowed pages lay rules for a Commisar Training squad which, although the artwork was a little old, gave me loads of inspiation and with the release of the Commander squads for IG I knew what I had to do. Origionaly I planned on 10 officer legs but that would have led to rather stagnant poses so I scrapped that.

Anyway, I originality wanted them to be hardened vets as it fits into my Regiment's fluff a bit more. That being said, I wanted to be able to kill marines instead of loosing much of the time so I will also add to their shoulder pads to make them into counts-as Stormtroopers. The Sgt is my attempt at 'Bastonne' and will be suitable re-named.

Included are also a medic and two generic demolitions/heavies. I may even mutilate one's lasgun into a hellgun to be able to sub out the heavy flamer - which I am not convinced doesn't look like a childish conversion.

Pics!

Bastonne

I made a powerpack from the Sentinel targeting array and thin plasticard rod. Initially I wanted to make all teh lasguns into this variety but it wasn't easy and I didn't fancy doing it 6 other times, plus I only have one other 'power pack'.

Lasgun-related inspiration was taken from these two marvellous sources:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/lofi...hp/t63551.html
and
http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...rojects-3.html

Two excellent points to go for modelling tips and lovely images.

I will paint the squad to look like Commisars. Plenty of deep greys and red trim. Even though there is no option for a standard the old entry had one so I had to make one for the squad. Initially I wanted to make them look disciplined, all with peaked caps but due to a lack of heads and my rubbish gs skills I went with a more rough-and-ready deal.

I will post WIP pics of painting these babies together with interspersing them with finished pics of the rest of my Cadian army so you can get a feel o where I am heading. At the moment I have a lot of guys equipped as field demolitions/surveyors. Perfect for a Cityfight any day!

Well I hope you like 'em.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-11, 09:40 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great work so far- Brilliant and original painting and conversion!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode