Angels of Acquittance (Dark Angels) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-11, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Lucio's Flag is: USA

Default Angels of Acquittance and Allies (DA&IG)

Fluff: A system hidden for centuries to the Imperium was the last known location for a splinter of Hive Fleet Cerberus before vanishing, never to be seen from again. Hailing from this world is a chapter erased from the records of history, completely unknown to the commanders of the besieged worlds as they dropped from above to wreck havoc on the Imperium's enemies. Mistaken for the Lost and the Damned the Inquisition trailed them until they came across their homeworld, a world named Esoterra that had been consumed by warp storms less than a decade earlier. The volcanic world inhabited by the chapter made for an intimidating invasion prospect, having used xeno tech to bury themselves within the planet and use the xenos themselves as laborers the chapter made it their home. Though the chapter was only 150 marines at the time the molten rock covering most of the planet was daunting enough.

Rumors flew around the Inquisition as to the origins of these marines, were they the descendants of one of the legions who had been struck from history? Chaos marines from the warp storm? Renegades? No one knew. After much probing the Inquisition obtained a sample of the chapters gene seed and were surprised to learn that they successors to the legacy of the Dark Angels. They also knew they had spent considerable time in the warp, but found the astartes free of all taint and corruption. Once notified, Grand Master Azrael sent the remainder of the available forces, including the entire Deathwing and Ravenwing, to the system to investigate the chapter, fearing that the Fallen had notified outside forces of their past. Upon arriving they were greeted with open arms from the new found chapter and after investigations and thorough screenings by the Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain the young chapter was deemed pure and equal sons of the Lion. It was also deemed that the secret was safe for now.

What remained hidden from the Dark Angels and the Inquisition alike was the true origin of the chapter and the initiation rituals involved in the chapter. Not only did they know first hand the events at Caliban but had been visited with visions of the Lion and the Emperor alike bringing them here under Balthial, a Fallen Angel under a different name executed three millenia ago in the Rock. Balthial came to the kingdoms of Slaanesh after being cast from Caliban, himself being caught in melee with the Assault Marines during the invasion and bombardment of Caliban, and was bred to kill the emperor that turned on him. He was intercepted in this by Azrael and was tortured and executed for his past. His soul was immediately intercepted by the Emperor before he could be devoured by chaos. It is uncertain how exactly he returned to the mortal realm but when he did he did so with the same timing as the other marines in the chapter who had been overwhelmed by visions of the Primarch El' Jonson and visions of the Emperor. After beating back a splinter of Hive Fleet Cerberus and subjugating the Demiurg who had crashed into the mountains of Esoterra they dug into the mountains and carved out a base. Shortly thereafter the marines fell into a coma lasting weeks. Exactly what happened during this time is also a mystery but the souls of the marines were purified and mutations fell off, stunted and rotting. To this day, in the ceremony that elevates the Sons, scouts, to Brother the Son falls into a coma and their souls are believed to be given to the Lion and the Emperor in the warp as a sort of purgatory before returning several days later.

However, memories of the Chapter Master were also given to them and is an addition mark of dishonor among them. During the time in the care of Slaanesh the marine was given a deep kiss, which haunts the memories of the chapter. At a trigger, especially when fighting Slaaneshi forces, all the marines lose control and go into a rage, seeking to destroy the object or being that caused the memory. However, the change is not permanent and can be overcome once the stimulus has been removed. Many a strip club was destroyed by a passing unit and thus the chapter puts much effort into staying away from populated areas and guard USO camps.

The traits of the Dark Angels are well pronounced in the chapter, rarely communicating outside the chapter, leaving out key information, and when speaking being impeccably brief.

If you don't care for fluff, skip to here

Ok so that was a long background for an intro. Anyway, I'm building the 3rd Brotherhood (that is, company) and enough of the Deathwing and Ravenwing for a 2k pt game with a small portion of the 3rd coming in.

List to build as is:
Guardian of Reapers Nathaneal (Belial)
Guardian of Hunters Mika'el (Sammael)
Deathwing Reapers (Lightning Claws, TH/SS (2) Heavy Flamer, and Chainfist) (x2)
Ravenwing Hunters
Ravenwing Hunter Support (x2)
Tactical with Rhino
Land Raider Crusader (x2)

3rd Brotherhood units
6 Tacticals w/Rhino
2 Assault Squads
2 Devastator Squads w/Razorback
2 Sniper Squads w/Razorback
2 Predators, Dreadnoughts, Vindicators, Whirlwinds

So here's the scheme I've got. Yes, I named them. No I'm not going to give a monologue about each individual when they get turned into a pile of slag on the board. Anyway, this is the first scheme, no shadows or highlighting yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is also going to be somewhat of a long project as my income is not very high atm. Currently aiming at one a month.

recap:
Thoughts on scheme?
Thoughts on best basing to go with the scheme?
Thoughts on fluff are welcome but I want to get this mainly to painting and thoughts regarding that.

Finished

WIP
So a word of warning: by the time I get around to touching things up I'm generally tired of staring at that unit and things tend to get left at the point where they look good on the table, but look like crud on camera. I'll circle back around eventually. I think.

Brother Gideon

Gideon is more or less done, though I would like some thoughts on him before I submit him for the painting challenge.

Ravenwing Hunters

Needs touch ups.

Last edited by Lucio; 12-02-11 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-11, 03:01 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Nice work, like the fluff. However, if you want more responses for fluff I suggest you create a seperate thread in the Homebrew Fluff Forum. I'll be following this

Bane of Kings Out.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-11, 08:32 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey mate, that's a sweet looking force you have there.

some C&C:

I think the robes on your troops need some shading. I generally use a chestnut coloured wash (50/50 Ogryn Flesh and Badab Black, that I made up my self), followed by a dry brush of bleached bone once that's dry.

On the same note, I think you need to shade the white a bit more. It might just be the photos. For this I would start with a base coat of Adeptus Battlegrey, then layer it up using Spacewolves Grey until you eventually use Skull White for edge highlights.

For highlighting black vehicles I tend to use edge highlights. Do one overall highlight using watered down Adeptus Battlegrey followed by a fine edge highlight of Spacewolves Grey on corners. Be careful not to over do it.

Try and drill out your bolters too. I know that can be frustrating sometimes, the amount of times I've screwed that up but not getting the drill bit centred

Hopefully these tips will help, but your painting looks neat and tidy, which is a huge step up the ladder, so keep it up

Rev

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-11, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
Nice work, like the fluff. However, if you want more responses for fluff I suggest you create a seperate thread in the Homebrew Fluff Forum. I'll be following this

Bane of Kings Out.
Thanks might do that sometime. I'm on a painting stint so I'm afraid any critique of the fluff would go unfixed for awhile. I stretched the fluff a great deal so theres bound to be something major to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Hey mate, that's a sweet looking force you have there.

some C&C:

I think the robes on your troops need some shading. I generally use a chestnut coloured wash (50/50 Ogryn Flesh and Badab Black, that I made up my self), followed by a dry brush of bleached bone once that's dry.

On the same note, I think you need to shade the white a bit more. It might just be the photos. For this I would start with a base coat of Adeptus Battlegrey, then layer it up using Spacewolves Grey until you eventually use Skull White for edge highlights.

For highlighting black vehicles I tend to use edge highlights. Do one overall highlight using watered down Adeptus Battlegrey followed by a fine edge highlight of Spacewolves Grey on corners. Be careful not to over do it.

Try and drill out your bolters too. I know that can be frustrating sometimes, the amount of times I've screwed that up but not getting the drill bit centred

Hopefully these tips will help, but your painting looks neat and tidy, which is a huge step up the ladder, so keep it up

Rev
Thanks much! Lots of help indeed.
I had been wondering a better way to do shading for the robes, will this work just as well for similarly colored Deathwing Terminators?

Hmm, I see what you're saying with the white, I'll have a go at it with some individual angel pieces. The highlighting I've been hesitant to try again due to having fairly unsteady hands, but I'll give it another go sometime. I'm curious as to what you mean by overdoing it though. Do you mean the thickness or the amount of highlight or...? I've only ever attempted highlights on a few vehicles and they turned out a bit worse than I had hoped.

What tool do you use to drill out bolters? I've been using my fingers and a drill bit for magnetizing things and its terribly inaccurate.

Thanks again guys!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Huzzah! Some more t1's. The goal right now is just to get it so I can play a game without anyone complaining about me fielding unpainted models. Will have a new store in a few months so i want to avoid any such situation before it occurs.

My camera is not currently functioning, but i feel like I should update since its been forever since the last update it feels like.

3 bikes done,

Some terminators

5 projects down so group shot!

Completely unrelated: Blood Angels!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 11:06 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
What tool do you use to drill out bolters? I've been using my fingers and a drill bit for magnetizing things and its terribly inaccurate.
I use a pin vice.

A technique that helps is to drill a small guide hole in the centre with a thin bit as this will assist in keeping the larger bit centred.

Another thing that an help is practising drilling on the round nubs that appear on most sprues; they are not identical in size but the centring issue is the same.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 11:13 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
I use a pin vice.

A technique that helps is to drill a small guide hole in the centre with a thin bit as this will assist in keeping the larger bit centred.

Another thing that an help is practising drilling on the round nubs that appear on most sprues; they are not identical in size but the centring issue is the same.
I use a dremel myself.

To (try) and get it centred i usually lightly score vertical and horizontal lines across the middle of the barrel, then use a small screwdriver to make a small divot where they meet.

Practicing on the ends of sprues is genius though, cheers dave!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-11, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Pin vice is the thing I was looking for before! Thanks Dave! I'll check out a Dremel as well so I can get the barrels drilled. I've got a lot of drilling to do. Thanks Varakir!

Tried some shading on a cloak, having many of them, as a shading practice before going back and shading the terminators but am not sure I like how it turned out. Thoughts?

It looks better on camera than it does on the desk I think. I might just use it to help do manual shading because I can't see where shadows land very well for the life of me.

Last edited by Lucio; 05-12-11 at 06:47 AM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-11, 06:50 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

not bad, arm looks like its lacking highlights on the elbow pad

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-11, 07:09 AM

docgeo's Flag is: USA

I think the highlight test worked great. The white in your other models was overpowering and this will give it a nice contrast. You can also go over the highest points with skull white again. I love you land speeder but it need something.......maybe a little highlighting and shading to contast the blck and flat red.

Great Work!! Keep up the fine effort!
Doc

Link to my Artic UltraMarines Project:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=89554

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode