CLT40K's Project Logs - Page 22 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 229 (permalink) Old 05-05-14, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

Couple of updates... scrapped my Middle Eastern table and have upgraded the buildings... Picked up 17 from Gamecraft miniatures... really good service by the way...

Also, I've been putting together some moderns....

French Foreign Legion

Insurgents

I'm thinking South African Special forces

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 229 (permalink) Old 05-05-14, 08:17 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

those modern military are really good. well painted and nice sculpts!
they could become an awesome alternative tallarn regiment

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #213 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-02-15, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted to my plog... I've spent the past few months working on an alternative rule set... The idea is to have a common set of rules for shooty wargames that is very loosely based on 40K (ie, D6, Hit/Wound/Save mechanic) but with a lot of the features we really like about other game systems like alternating turns rather than IGOUGO ... so WW2, Modern's and SciFi... I'm on the hook to run a game day for the local historical gaming group in Feb so we've been doing a lot of playtesting and I've been pretty busy at the painting table...
On a positive note, I've been trying to up my game in terms of my table in preparation... so the dozen or so Imperial Sector buildings I've had on the shelf for the past few years finally got painted... and I'm really happy with the outcome... Also, putting together a Tau, a heresy era marine force, and a new IG force based on the foreign legion....

So, here's a few pics of the new terrain... I got so tired of messing with DIY trees that I just bought a bunch of "Battlefield in a Box" trees and have been very happy so far. For the buildings, I primed them grey, put a heavy wash on them (vallejo dark shadow ink and black - heavily watered down) and then drybrushed them white... There is so much detail on the GW terrain that it was so overwhelmingly intemedating that I decided "to %$#% with it... lets make it look like Florence, Italy and be done with it!" I'm really happy with how it came out..

Here are some pics of the Tau I've been working on.... For the Tau, I decided to go with a more weathered and rough look to match the painting style of my Heresy era marines.... While I like the Manga version of the Tau that GW puts out, I wanted something a little more gritty... hence the weathering...

Here's the test piece for my guard... they're loosely based on the French Foreign Legion. The head, arms and weapon are all from Mad Robot. I've always thought the Cadian's looked kind of silly... and I have a ton of old Cadians so a quick swap makes the models a lot more engaging to me. Also, the weapon looks very much like the FN FAL that was in service during the 70's... The Mad Robot stuff matches up perfect... I went with the carbine version of the rifle to avoid some of the oversized rifle thing that I don't like about the Cadians.... Also, the head being larger makes the model's proportions look a little better IMO.

For vehicles I'm looking to kit bash tanks from 1:48 WW2 tanks (Panzer IV and the Stug III) - they're on order from the UK, so I'll post pics when they're done.

Also, I had the idea to do a leg swap to make an alternative to the GW sentinal kit... I've got the first of 3 done and I really like how they come out... BTW, the legs are coming from DUST Tactics Light Assault Walkers. The feet are just the dust tactics feet stuck on top of the GW feet. The weathering is just a light drybrush of Vallejo's Iraqi Sand....

Here's a pic of the Heresy Era Marines I've been working on... The technique for these guys were new for me... I'm using a fairly heavy wash and then going back to hit the armor with "necron compound" to give it the metallic sheen....

Also, I'm putting together some Nazis vs Soviets for WWII - I really like the way the Bolt Action guys look... but putting them together was such a pain in the backside that I just just went with the Rate of Fire deal from Age of Glory (also, I've only had really positive interactions with these guys too)

Finally, here are some pics of the Somali gunmen currently on the table... I really like how the cammo is coming out... there is something to be said about having pics of cammo on the Iphone next to me when I'm trying to put it onto the minis... I'm trying to "get" doing cammo on minis... so these guys are sort of test pieces for the platoon of US Marines that I have on the table.... Once I have a bit more confidence in doing cammo I'll get those guys knocked out....

Project Log - Click Here

Last edited by CLT40k; 01-02-15 at 10:11 AM.

post #214 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-04-15, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Exolord from Anvil Industries... sort of a crappy picture...

Project Log - Click Here

post #215 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Default One more shot at posting on Heresy...

So tonight I cast my first pieces from Hirst Arts in Resin... It completely sucked... there were bubbles everywhere and not a thing was even... But, I wanted to do something with it so later I could look back and say "ahhh, that's when I was clueless" :D Truth be told, I'm really looking forward to getting into the casting thing... I've been working on my terrain the past few months and I can see a lot of potential... besides it's like the big boy version of legos...

So I decided to spice up a base with the most acceptable of the pieces and carry on from there...

Also, I stole a really good to put the vehicle on a radio antenna from here:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=72345.30

And extended...

Finally, here's a one of 7 fireteams I did for the army...

Project Log - Click Here

post #216 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 07:26 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Oooh casting - Another thing I want to dabble in in the future. This year is the airbrush, but I might pick it up next year.

What's your experience with it, beyond air bubbles and general sucakge right now? How much have you invested etc in the area?

The models look really good - I like the dark theme and high-shadow look your going for. Keep it up!
post #217 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Oooh casting - Another thing I want to dabble in in the future. This year is the airbrush, but I might pick it up next year.

What's your experience with it, beyond air bubbles and general sucakge right now? How much have you invested etc in the area?

The models look really good - I like the dark theme and high-shadow look your going for. Keep it up!
So the suckage was due to the mold being wet and apparently that's what caused the bubbling and deforming...

Today after work I picked up some Hydrostone (there is a casting supply place just a few blocks from work) and I got 50lbs for about $20 USD. Started using that tonight and I'm really impressed... by cast attempt number 3 I felt like I was getting the hang of it. It seems like the larger and less complex stuff will do best with the hydrostone and the more delicate stuff with a resin.

Of course after my initial success I ordered more molds from Hirst tonight (mostly to get multiples so I can cast more and faster...) When the smoke clears I'll have just over $500 in molds... But it's actually a lot of fun... and I can see how I can finally get the sort of terrain I've wanted... I have some nice terrain already, but I want to take it to the "stupid cool" terrain board place -- which was my goal this year...

For the actual Army, we're play testing the following right now.. it's very 40K like so give it a look...

Tactical Wargaming Ruleset - Beta Version

This was my other hobby goal this year... to write a set of rules that would work for 40K minis, WW2 and for Moderns.... We're still playtesting, but I think we've just about got it figured out... Please feel free to comment on the ruleset.

Project Log - Click Here

post #218 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

First of new guard tanks

Project Log - Click Here

post #219 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 06:42 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

This page of project log goodness pleases Morbo.

There is some excellent work here mate, good job. I particularly like your guardsmen and I think that they will fit in very well with the new table.

Also, nice Terry Pratchett quote.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #220 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-30-15, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Here's the most recent update on the tank conversions...

Project Log - Click Here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode