Squares and rectangles - a Warhammer armies project log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Squares and rectangles - a Warhammer armies project log

Having spent the last few months immersed in 40k I'm going to move a little towards Warhammer, if for no other reason than I'm sick of playing armies consisting of Space Marine after Space Marine. However in a fitting irony my first major army for Warhammer will be the Warriors of Chaos, an army I know to be fairly popular with players.

So to start with here's a couple of work in progress shots of two of my Chaos Warrior units.

The first is a unit of Nurgle Warriors:

The second a somewhat larger unit of Khorne warriors who I'm retrofitting with hand weapons:

This latter unit had been carrying great weapons, but they kept falling out and were a bugger to put in place anyway, so I removed the remaining great weapons using a 5 kilogram weight and carefully calculated dropping.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 12:15 AM

WinZip's Flag is: USA

They look good I really like how you painted the nurgle themed warriors

"Blood cries out to blood they say, so let us spill their blood so we can hear it all the clearer."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinZip View Post
They look good I really like how you painted the nurgle themed warriors
Cheers mate, as for the Nurgle warriors, drybrushed camo green, a nice simple way to paint.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 01:46 AM

yanlou's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yay for nurgle, im liking the green so far, are you planning on adding any rust and such to the armour? +rep for nurgle goodness
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 03:09 AM

DrinCalhar's Flag is: USA

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanlou View Post
Yay for nurgle, im liking the green so far, are you planning on adding any rust and such to the armour? +rep for nurgle goodness
First off thanks for the reputation. As to your question, yes I'm going to try adding some rust. Also I'm thinking about cutting the ends off of any swords to make them reminisicent of the powerweapon the Plague Marine Champion carries.

Do people think this would work?

Quote:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 09:09 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
...I removed the remaining great weapons using a 5 kilogram weight and carefully calculated dropping.
Interesting technique.

Are you planning on keeping the Nurgle Warriors' cloaks green?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Interesting technique.

Are you planning on keeping the Nurgle Warriors' cloaks green?
I was going to, but if you've got a suggestion I'm willing to listen.

Quote:

Last edited by The Sullen One; 02-01-11 at 05:07 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 04:00 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
I was going to but if you've got a suggestion I'm willing to listen.
As WHFB rank-and-file models are less characterful I think more than one large colour helps adds character back; it also helps with making similar units distinct, so I would do the cloaks with a different scheme.

The colour choice depends partially on what you are going to do with the fur trim, and partially on whether you want a single defining colour for the whole army.

The following suggestions might look good: (i) purple (ii) light brown/khaki (iii) ochre
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
As WHFB rank-and-file models are less characterful I think more than one large colour helps adds character back; it also helps with making similar units distinct, so I would do the cloaks with a different scheme.

The colour choice depends partially on what you are going to do with the fur trim, and partially on whether you want a single defining colour for the whole army.

The following suggestions might look good: (i) purple (ii) light brown/khaki (iii) ochre
Well, I'm not all that confident that I can paint over/strip the cloaks of their existing paint scheme, plus it was quite a bit of work to drybrush the green on so I'll leave it for now.

However, I am planning to add in some units that won't have a mark but will simply serve all the gods (fluff-wise at least) so I'll try this two colour idea on them.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode