Goren's Welfare Death Guard Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

goren's Flag is: Canada

Default Goren's Welfare Death Guard Log

Before getting into the army, I'll point out that this is an army on a budget. I generally invest in cheap paints, cheap converting supplies, and cheap models. Very rarely will you see me with a large amount of greenstuff, GW paints, or expensive models, unless I, for whatever reason, came across some extra cash. I generally dont have a lot of money to spend on my wargaming hobby (though im not literally on welfare, in fact I live with my parents still ), however I dont think thats any excuse to avoid making an interesting army. Some models were greenstuffed/GW painted, but they make up the very small minority. My goal is to make the coolest army I can, with the lowest amount of money I can, and am no stranger to stretching my pennies to get my models (assault on black reach was a godsend ). So, without further adieu, the log begins:

After a bit of interest was shown regarding my death guard army in my WIP greater daemon thread, I've decided to make a thread for my death guard army, and all relevant content/progress. The majority of these were done while being fairly new to Warhammer 40k, and were painted with very bad, undiluted dollar store acrylics, so if the paint jobs seem horrible on some, thats probably the reason, since i think I'm fairly decent at painting when using the proper paints and brushes. so, without further delay, here are the pics:

Heres a rough overview of my army, as well as some unpainted/modified units that I plan on working with in the future

first unit up, is my custom sewage dreadnaught. Just a regular SM dreadnaught, modded with a few extra things and a gluegun. Painted it with deathwing reminiscent colors, as I want my army to generally seem like a corrupted deathwing army turned deathguard, since i think that the deathwing being a termi/dread themed army fits with the footslogging fluffy deathguard, so I've always wanted to make my nurgle army have deathwing units of varying levels of corruption.

Next up is dreadnaught #2. The idea behind this one, was that I thought it would be awesome if the corpse powering a dreadnaught continued to recieve demonic gifts, until it became a daemon prince. So, this is basically a daemon prince being reborn from a dreadnaught corpse, bursting through the hull. I figure I could either say the slime is holding the dread together, and use it as a dreadnaught, or play it as a daemon prince model (shooting through the air with slime power is way more badass than wings to me too).

Next up is dreadnaught #3. This is a deathwing dread that has just recently turned and joined the death guard. The deathwing colors are already very fleshy/bony, so it fits in with my army well as it it, so i didnt have any qualms in including it in my army just like this, though I made sure to give it a few marks of nurgle to make it clear who its aligned with. also, before i recieve any comments regarding it, the mark of nurgle is upside down on purpose, as thats my armys mark. natural marks (such as the one on my greater daemons chest) are left right side up, as they were born that way and cant be changed.

Next up is my winged daemon prince. This was converted out of an abbadon the despoiler model, and nurgled up a bit. the large grey thing on his arm is a tuft of fur that is supposed to be blowing in the wind (done as a rank/stature thing, as is the trophy rack). the original version of this had him holding a beaten SM by its head, but I decided to remove all that and simplify him a bit, as I found it too distracting, and the bade wound up looking silly by the time i made one big enough to fit all that I needed.

Next up is a 100% scratch built land raider. Made with cardboard, a glue gun, and some random gun/spike bits. I find it looks pretty similar to the GW landraider, and it allowed me to be fairly experimental with my conversions without being too worried about ruining a 50$ model (this was my first time using a glue gun on a model). I think the conversions worked out quite nicely, Im pretty happy with how it looks, especially considering it was my first ever scratch build. Some spikes etc. have fallen off and arent included in the pics (transportation mishap), but just imagine it with a few more trophy racks and spikes, and you wont be missing out ;)

Next is my corrupt Belial, master of the deathwing, and the first of his retinue. I have 4 more termis in the works that will be painted in this scheme. I plan on using him either as a termi lord with a retinue of chosen, or as an champ in a normal termi unit, depending on what I need at the time. He is basically just a heavily greenstuffed SM termi. the hood, wing, back skull, cloak, ammunition, sword, etc. have all been made from greenstuff.

Next are my custom obliterators. Basically heavily converted chaos termis. Added extra arms/guns/etc., changed some heads, lots of glue gun, all sorts of nurglish/obliterator-ish touches. I think they look fairly convincing.

Next is my custom Typhus, herald of nurgle, host of the destroyer hive (his full name is so long, I just had to say it). He was made out of a nurgled up termi lord. I always wanted to use Typhus, but never really liked his real model, so heres my take on him. I like him much better with a cloak, gives him a more dreadful appearance.

Next up are my berzerkers. I know, I know, they arent really nurgle, but I like shoving 8 of them in a land raider with my typhus, to have them spill out and rain death on everything along with him. I think the flesh colors tie them in with the rest of my army well enough.

Heres plague marine squad #1, all converted from normal space marines, as is the majority of my army (to fit with the corrupt deathwing theme).

Heres squad #2. Yes, that is abbadons claw on the champ .

Heres a group of converted termis, to once again fit the deathwing theme. The idea behind this squad is that its a corrupt skull chaplain and his retinue, hence the crozius arcanum with the flesh hanging off it.

And last but not least, the model that a few of you may have seen, my 100% scratch built greater daemon of nurgle. Made with tinfoil, glue gun, green stuff, and some chaos bits. I wanted to have a *very* imposing model, hence the massive size. WIP progress thread for the daemon i here: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=77427

Well, thats it for my army so far. All the models in the first pic that wernt shown, are either unpainted, unconverted, or otherwise un-presentable. ive probably got about another 25 termis, another dread, and a 7 man PM squad left to convert/paint, so any ideas on cheap (but not necessarily easy) methods to convert these, or any ideas about what would look cool would be greatly appreciated.
Also, challenges are more than welcome. Have an awesome idea? Tell me what it is, and I'll see if I can pull it off, most likely on a budget (as long as it doesnt require specific models I dont have).

Ill be updating this in the future as often as I can make things, and Ill answer as many questions/comments as I can.

"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 09:53 AM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Lookinjg great mate! I think that dreadnought needs to be nurglified a little more, but other than that some very nice work, especially liking the green on the Land Raider, would love to know how you did that

Nothing wrong with the Khorne Bezerkers though. Sure they may not be fluffy at all, but they look sweet and the scheme fits in better with your army!

Have some rep mate
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 10:14 AM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm well impressed man! I was looking at the landraider thinking 'it looks superb, and it has all the detail... why does it look slightly different?', and it's because all the details are amazingly painted! haha, it totally threw me!

+ Rep for the Land Raider alone, that's a brilliant piece of work!

Is the tubes and kind of blobs done with a glue gun? That looks bloody good too! A brilliant army on a budget mate! Keep it up!

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra111 View Post
Lookinjg great mate! I think that dreadnought needs to be nurglified a little more, but other than that some very nice work, especially liking the green on the Land Raider, would love to know how you did that

Nothing wrong with the Khorne Bezerkers though. Sure they may not be fluffy at all, but they look sweet and the scheme fits in better with your army!

Have some rep mate
The dread is pre-heresy, so there wouldnt be very much mutation at that point, so I wanted to keep it looking like a standard dread with MoN and nurgle colors

Thanks for the rep

"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins1878 View Post
I'm well impressed man! I was looking at the landraider thinking 'it looks superb, and it has all the detail... why does it look slightly different?', and it's because all the details are amazingly painted! haha, it totally threw me!

+ Rep for the Land Raider alone, that's a brilliant piece of work!

Is the tubes and kind of blobs done with a glue gun? That looks bloody good too! A brilliant army on a budget mate! Keep it up!
All glue gun. You'd be surprised with what you can do with one of those.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode