A Tale of Four Armies - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.
Default A Tale of Four Armies

This is a a tale of four Armies, One Builder-Painter, and Four Players. After a eight year hiatus from all things GW, I have gotten involved once more. earlier this year I built a game table, mostly for Flames of War, and decided it was time to teach my two kids about the joys of miniatures gaming. I figured if the wife got in as well, it would be a family activity, and family activities make for family harmony.

First I built the table. I was sure I hard more WIP pics, but this is all I can find.

Some of the materials:

Framing the board:

Painting the basic table. It is blue so we can use it for ship combat:

Oh, before I forget, this is a 4x6 table set about four feet high. Too high, as I found out, I will be making a box for the kids to stand on while they play... it is built out of 1x4s, and luan plywood. I built a basic box from the 1x4s, then glued and screwed the top piece down. The legs are each out of a 1x4 and a riped in half 1x4. I glued and screwed the two together to make a L-shaped leg for each corner. Then I bracd each corner with 1x2 stock bolted to legs and top frame. I added chuncks of 2x2 material with bolts in T-nuts for levelinf the table. All screws are counter sunk and filled. The top is painted a vague light blue, and the sides a a close equivelant to OD green.

The legs attached, and more painting in progress:

The table is now finished, and I have built six boards for the table. The table is just that, a table. I will be building 2x4 boards to cover the table with, so I can get nice relief in the landscaping. Each board is built from a 2x4 pice of luan plywood, reinforced on the long edges with a piece of 1x2 lathe ripped in half. The lathe pieces allow the most availble blue styrofoam at my local DIY to fit perfectly. The styrofoam the always carry is for basement insulating, and it is designed to go over lathe strips nailed to walls. And it comes in 2x8 sheets, so each sheet gives me two boards with one cut. Perfect.

Three of the six boards are for Flames of War and represent Utah Beach at WN 67.

The other three are just flat boards for Fantasy. I have about twenty pieces or terrain in various stages (need to take some pics) of construction. Next post and I get a few pics of minis in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I just may be the slowest painter in the entire gaming world, but here are some finished minis.

My son's High Elf Hero:

And the hero's shield:

Back detail:

I just realized that these pictures do not do justice to the mini. Sorry. It really is much better in real life.

My daughter's Men-at-Arms:

A close up:

The sargeant:

An Empire Captain:

About the painting.
All the colors are Vallejo Game colors.
All priming is done with Valspar light grey spray.
Vallejo washes kinda suck, IMO, so I need to order some Citadel washes.

The elf armor was painted silver, washed with a thin black, then dry brushed silver again. Elves are clean and shiny, and he looks it. The gold was painted, washed with Sepia ink, then highlghted gold. The blue is painted Night Blue, washed with a 1:1 mix of N. Blue and Black, then another blue layer is added. Highlights are a 1:1 mix of Night Blue and Shadow grey. I guess everthing is too subtle, so that is why it doesn't photograph well.

The flesh is Basic Skintone, washed with sepia ink, the highlighted with basic skintone.

The ahir/mane was painted 1:1 mix of Orange red and Beasty brown, washed with a heavy sepia wash, layed with the mix and then highlighted lightly with Ortange red. It is a close match to my son's red-brown hair, which he thinks is cool.

The gems are painted with Orange Red-Bloody Red mix, shaded with staight Bloody Red, highlighted with Orange Red, and the white dot. The got a spot of white, and of course, gloss varnish after a matte spray on the whole model.

I free handed the cloak edge and shield rune in white.

The base was painted with some cheap craft paint in dark brown. A Woodland Scenics green blend flock was added, along with a tuft of grass from somebody I can't remember.

Last edited by KjellThorngaard; 01-28-11 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

More painting details.

The Bretonnians had to pink and purple, my daughter's orders. I tried to argue, but she insisted, and her only concession was to let me use green, too. She is six, and is pretty sure everything should be pink and purple, and all shades thereof. Geeze.

The cloth is painted with Vallejo heavy green or purple. Then they are layered with either Roal purple or Dark Green. Highlights are Hexed Lichen or a mix of Dark Green and Scorpy green.

Skin is Basic skintone with a heavy Sepia ink wash. No highlight. They are dirty peasants after all.

Armor is painted with Gunmetal, washed black. It leaves a nice, dark, tarnished-looking metal color. Other metals are painted with Hammered Copper, I think. No shiny gold for these poor guys.

Leather is painted in one of several browns. Highlights with a lighter brown.

The shields are painted with heavy purple and Squid Pink. I know, I know... The edges are the same as the armor. The back is painted Charred Brown with a highlight of Cobra Leather. Decals applied as normal.

Bases are the same as the elf hero above. I am planning to paint all four armies with the same base technique. I will only use the grass tufts on heros and lords, and war machines because they are too expensve for every model.

The Empire Captain is painted as so:

Clothe with Imperial blue. Washed in black, highlighted with Imp. Blue again. He may need another highlight, I haven't decided.

Armor is Gunmetal, washed black, highlighted gunmetal. His armor isn't is shiny as that wuss elf, but cleaner than those dirty Brettonians.

Leather is mixed browns again.

Sash is painted bloody red, highlighted with a 2:1 mix of B Red and Orange Red.

Details are painted in bone white, Charred Brown, Gold and a couple others.

Base as above.

I have 16 High Elf spearman, seven Empire state troops with swords, and 10 Wood Elf Eternal Guard in various states of painting.

Built but not even primed yet are 16 Brettonian bowmen, 16 Wood Elf Glade Guard, 8 more state troops, 10 Empire Handgunners, 4 HE Spearman, and a couple random models.

Bought but still on the sprue are 16 HE Spearman (we are going for a block of 35), Empire Knightly Order box, WE Glade Rider box, Brettonian Knights box, and HE Silver Helms box. A Bret Battle Standard bearer, Bret Damsel, WE Standrd bearer, and a WE Spellsinger just showed up yesterday.

Wow. When I look at like that, I don't know when I will ever finish. In my next post I will outline my philosophy for how this is starting and the randomness of the minis.

KT out.

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 04:16 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

I totally dig the pink Bretts.... and at the end of the day there are only a few people we need to make happy...

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 05:40 PM

PanzerPig's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like all the minis and the whole idea. I'll be following the log. Pinks Brets is novel

Dagger's of Solitude (Eldar)- 1800pts (1680pts painted- curse the last two war walkers)
Clan Venomklaw (Skaven)- 1200pts (550pts painted)
Prince Nathaniel's Host (High Elves)- (none painted)
Sons of Orthrus (Space Wolves) 500pts (none painted)

Skaven Project Log- Clan Venomklaw
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=78074
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the comments. You're right, CLT, and when they are happy, we are all happy! Plus, it makes it easier to buy more minis when I can tell the missus "These are for the kids, dear."
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 03:51 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellThorngaard View Post
I appreciate the comments. You're right, CLT, and when they are happy, we are all happy! Plus, it makes it easier to buy more minis when I can tell the missus "These are for the kids, dear."
best excuse ever to increase the army sizes in the house. As for the models they look incredible.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I had a lengthy post about my history with gaming and philosophy about this start into family wargaming, but the interwebs ate it when I truied to post it. So here are couple of WIP pics from my Utah Beach boards.

One board plastered, with sand dunes added.

The second beach board roughed in, with the seawall added and a cutout for a a resin bunker.

Behind the dunes, cutouts for flooded areas showing.

That's it for now. I will try and get some more pics posted, more recent beach board shots, and WIP Elves.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-25-10, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

A couple more pics:

Looking down the beach.

Aerial shot over a PaK bunker.

Looking at beach exit 3.

Down the road behind the beach.

The finished fantasy board.

Board closeup. I wanted a random, rough, wild feel. First it is painted with a tan latex paint. Then I used four colors of Woodland Scenics fine turf: Green Blend, Soil, Burnt grass, and earth. Plus, some lizard sand. I coated the board with watered down PVa, flocked it, wet it with alcohol in a mister, then saturated it with scenic cement. The scenic cement mades the nasty PVA shine go away. I resoaked a couple areas for more flocking.

Board detail. That is a half lathe board glued and screwed to the luan sheet with the blue board laminated in place.

Last, a pic of a WIP half-timber Empire house I have started. I severely strained my neck this week and couldn't paint, but I could work a little on the house.

That's it for now. Merry Christmas all!
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-25-10, 11:12 PM

Otep's Flag is: USA

how you managed to corrupted your whole family into warhammer is beyond me... you are either a genius or found the easiest method to financial suicide!

i really dig the models and Utah beach looks fantastic! you my friend are getting a slight clicky of rep!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode