A Tale of Four Armies - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Ok, a few more shots. I haven't gotten much done lately, no time to paint. But here are more photos of what is slowly progressing.

First up, my son's High Elves. Can I say that I hate these models? The have so many details! All those stupid gems, little buttons, etc, etc... Man, they are killing me!

These will have the same general scheme as the Hero above.

A Warrior Sentinel:

A warrior:

The standard bearer:

Pointy-eared death!

And the start of som WE Eternal Guard.

Group shot:

An EG:

A Noble:

Armor detail:

And some Empire.

A Swordsman:

The musician:

The sarge:

And the standard bearer:

The sword line:

As much as I don't like the High elves, I really, really dislike the state Troops. Who carries an hourglass into battle? The guy who designed these was never an infantryman, that is for sure... They are so time-consuming I am debating even taking them to 1,000 points. Maybe a nice skellie army instead. We shall see.

Obviously, all these are WIP. Comments and ctiques are welcome and needed!

KT out

Last edited by KjellThorngaard; 12-31-10 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

just noticed, and edited, the double post.

Last edited by KjellThorngaard; 12-31-10 at 02:25 PM.
post #13 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:26 AM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

They are all looking great though. You might consider the army painter dip in order to speed up production time. It's what I'm using on my minis now since I have Space marine, guard, Bretonnian, Skaven and lizardmen projects on the fire. My Skaven plog (linked below) has a tutorial

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne

post #14 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I actually have considered it. But with all the little details, hilts, gems, pouches, belts, etc, etc, I still labor slowly.... Looking at the minis, I think they really need it to pop a little. I have read you Skaven plog, great read BTW, and I have to ask you: Which shades would you use for High Elves, Wood Elves, Empire and Bretonnians? That stuff seems pricey, especially if I need several. I have toyed with making some Magic Wash, which I have used to good effect with Flames of War minis. I think everything need a good wash, for sure.
post #15 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 04:16 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

I use the strong tone - It seems to work really well execpt on things painted with a lot of white (ie, large white pieces, little things look good)... For the pieces I use the dip on and want to paint white... I just went back over it (a good example is in my Marines plog... The Grey Knight - the white and the purity seals looked too close, so I had to go back over the white and then hit with devlan mud, badab black, and a little highlighting...)

I don't actually dip them... I paint it on like a wash... so I haven't even made a dent in it.

With the magic wash... I think it's the same thing really... but it saves me from having to experiment to find the right one... so $30 seemed worth it...

Also, in terms of time saving... It really just means that I can skip the wash and highlight stage for most stuff... I might drop a highlight here and there to make something pop a little better... but for the most part, it's just a matter of painting them a little brighter to start with and staying in the lines...

Here's a pic of a high elf my buddy block painted and then gave to me for experimentation.... I used strong tone on him and kept it pretty light during the application... unfortuantly, I don't have a before pic... cause I was excited to get him done and didn't think... but there was no shading or highlighting on him at all... Link

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
post #16 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at the shades again, and noticed that the Strong tone was listed as such:

Especially great on Pure Red and Desert Yellow and all manner of Greens

While the Dark tone was:

It is brilliant for grey, blue and all types of armour for instance

Do you have an experiance between the two?
post #17 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

I just realized how long its been since I posted, and then realized how little progress I've made too.... Sad, really, but I just haven't had that much time. I did start painting the gems on 16 High Elf warriors, so the end is near for that batch. I'll get pics up in the next day or two, because now I'm motivated to finish them as they are so close.

KT
post #18 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 11:10 AM

vulcan539's Flag is: New Zealand

Looking good, loving the terrain +rep

"The Emperor destroyed my world in a sea of flame, and yet he expects me to serve his puppets? I will not serve in his name, I will survive so he can not have the satisfaction of my death!"
Donn Warwaster Regulator to the Inqustion.
post #19 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, here is Kjell's ideas on teaching non-gaming wife and children how to play Warhammer Fantasy.

First: Have enough cash to build four armies at the same time. I spend $1-200 a month on models, paints, modeling materials, and books. I could have one rockin' army by now if I had spent all the cash on one.

Second: Start simple. Start them with one basic infantry model. Learn how to move it, what LOS is and what the basic stats are. Then rank up five models. Move with a line. Make a block of troops. Figure out how to move a whole block. Go back to one model and teach them combat. Figure out the differant weapons. Fight unit on unit combat. Repeat until they have a pretty good grasp of it.

Move on to ranged combat. Figure out bows, crossbows, handguns, etc. Learn to shoot. Add shooting to hand to hand. Add in a leader model and start gaming very small actions.

Add in cavalry models. Learn mounted movement and combat. Teach my daughter about the Lance formation. Regret it when she smashes everyone's foot troops with punishing charges. Add all three units together and keep gaming.

Third: Magic! Teach 'em magic and throw wizards, damsels, spellsingers and mages into the games. We still won't be counting points by this time.

Fourth: Everyone picks their next unit. It gives them ownership of the armies, even if Dad is slaving away over the painting table. Then they pick enough units to get to 1,500 points.

I was shooting for 1,000 but I can't add and missed with the Wood Elves horribly, so we will just skip 1,000 points.

Fifth: Add BSB models and teach them what they are for.

Sixth: Add war machines, or something nasty like Treekin.

Seventh: Have fun!

Along the way I will keep adding in rules for the game. we will leave out anything too complicated at first, and just add things in as the "get" the game. I want to take the armies to 3,000 points each for their three, maybe starting an evil army for me sometime down the road.

My son already wants a dragon in his army, and my daughter wants "lots of damsels!". My wife really doesn't care that much, but she is willing to play if it keeps us doing something together.

In a nutshell, that's it. If they like it, maybe later they can start their own army, learning to build and paint the models. And then we can try out 40K, naval combat, or my fav Flames of War. The possiblities are endless! Mwwaahahahaha!

Last edited by KjellThorngaard; 01-20-11 at 10:55 PM. Reason: terrible spelling...
post #20 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-22-11, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I finally have a few more pics to add. All I can say is holy smokes, the closeup pics sure showed me some areas that need touch up. I saw a spot where a blue wash got on the armor, where I was a little over anxious with gold paint, and that most of the faces need something, maybe a highlight or general touchup with elf flesh.

Also, I am not happy with the feathers. On my empire figs I hid them with a wash of Devlan mud, but I want a bit cleaner for the high elves. Any suggestions?

Here they are:

Warrior

Nearly done-

Nearly finished Sentinel:

And starting the sheilds. They will have a Night Blue face, the emblem will be gold with red-orange gems like the warriors.

That is all for now. I need to go back and do some more touch ups before I paint and flock the bases. I am still debating the Army painter shades. I need to just try it on one model and see how I like it. I would just hate to screw up that slowly painted model I guess...

KT out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode