Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Host of Worms

31K views 196 replies 60 participants last post by  notsoevil 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm new to 40k (I've yet to play even a demo of 5th edition), but have been a long time fan of Nurgle.

I'm not going Deathguard simply because I want the greatest range of models/vehicles to convert.

The Host of Worms (aka The Host).

Complete with my own insignia:

Chaos Lord: Mathas Skolik, the Infested

Daemon Prince: Lumbricus, The Bloated

Daemon Prince: Omunyongororwa, Sower of Maggots

Great Unclean One: Uod, the Grubfather

Patron God (unmodelled of course): Shallagia, Goat Mother of a Thousand Worms, Bride of Nurgle, Nursemaiden of Woe

First up, WIP shots for my Lord of Pestilence model from Ultraforge.

I asked previously about giving him a jump pack instead of typical daemon wings, simply because his model screams "I'm a giant bloated space marine".

I started with two caps from superglue bottles, which I might add actually looks great as the basis for a jump pack ...

... but it doesn't fit his style.

Onward, I've had this Tyranid something-or-other carapace for a long time. I kept it because it looks pretty Nurgly to me. So, why not use it as the housing for the jet pack. And just so happens, some plastic tubing I have fits perfectly.

Looks great from the back, but I'm not so sure I like how it affects his silhouette from the side and front. I think I may scrap the carapace, but keep the "organic jump pack" idea. Or maybe I'll just grind on the carapace for a while to reduce the turtle-effect:

See less See more
#2 ·
Carapace is ditched. Too beefy.

Here is the first stage which includes:

1) Flared ends for a jetpack meets tube-worm appearance.
2) Broken armor plates on the shoulders to show how this essentially burst from his back
3) The beginnings of the flesh work and organic-fication of the jump pack.

I will be doing more flesh work of course and the armor plates are not blended in. In fact, I'm going to be grinding them down near the shoulders to make the blending easier and they'll get some wear-and-tear as well.

#3 ·
Update on Daemon Prince

Added veins, inner jet funk (though instead of organic, it may be painted with an afterglow).
Started wiring, it needs to be blended in to be coming from GS "wounds"

But notsoevil, why is your guitar string pink?

It isn't guitar string, which is a bitch to work with. My "tubing" is a metal coil bracelet for girls that has the same ribbed look as guitar string, but being super springy and flexible. So flexible in fact, that I inserted a paperclip in to stiffen it up and "shape" it. This is my first time using the material, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed.

#5 ·
With the Lord of Pestilence, I'm very impressed. Very multi-layeref; for instance when you look at some of his wounds you can see layers of skin, then some mechanical gubbins, etc. Very nice.

Almost hated to mod him, but he just called out for a jump pack. I think he'd look silly with wings.

Soon I'll be getting their other daemon prince, the Plaguedaemon. First though I think I'll grab their Great Unclean One if I can get my hands on it. They stopped producing it I believe.

#6 ·
Looking great so far! I like the ultraforge stuff and the mod you have done it very original. Looking forward to further progress.

On a side note... Unfortunately you are correct about them not producing the GUO anymore, which I might add is incredibly said seeing it was a might share cooler than the GW model.

#7 ·
Thanks!

Also, as I was tired of working on the Daemon Prince, I played around with some poster tack and mocked up my next (or concurrent) project, The Dreadbearer (or Plaugenought .. heh).

Essentially, I'm going to hollow out the center of the dread (I think it's called the sarcophagus) and sculpt a Plaguebearer-esque daemon in the middle of it, all wired in.

#11 ·
Initial cutting into the dread started last night. Not easy when it is already assembled.

Also prepped some Black Reach Terminators to be infested by The Host. About to get 10 more in trade, so I'll have 15 Black Reach termies. Now if I can just get my hands on the proper Chaos bits (arms, heads, weapons) to convert them up right nice.

#14 ·
Just a quick shot since I just got up from the work table. Nurgle Terminators based on AOBR Terminators. First of several steps of conversion. I need to get my hands on some Chaos Termie bitz (arms, weapons, etc).

I'll take individual shots later and explain what I'm doing.

#15 ·
I really like the guy with the tube coming out of his face, and the one with the leering face and the tongue. The other sculpted head just looks like a blob but I think that it is just because of the angle of the picture. I also like the cloven feet. It is a great addition that adds a lot of character. Can't wait to see more.

#22 ·
Excellent stuff on the thread so far, sir. Will be following with interest. Also [in case you missed it], link to a really nice way to convert plastic bloodletters into plaguebearers!

#24 ·
Update on Daemon Prince

Nothing ground-shaking, but blended the tubes in. All that's left to do with his conversion is to put on his arms, blend in their seams with greenstuff and add a drip to that break in the tube on his back.

Update on Terminators

I really like this guy:

And this guy's tumors are now veiny:

And now the non-helmed fellow has a half-hood:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.