CLT40K's Skaven Project Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

Default CLT40K's Skaven Project Log

So here’s the first test piece for my Skaven Army.

Also, I’ve got a Brettonian army in the works that will be using historical Crusader minis from Perry Brothers minis… The test models for that project should be arriving tomorrow or the next day. So, in the 2250 list I’ve put together, I’ll need about 100+ models. I refuse to play a poorly painted army (or at least it needs to be as well painted as I can get it) So there is a real need to be able to a lot done quickly… While, I will play unpainted armies… but I really do enjoy the game a lot more when my stuff looks good. So in order to get full enjoyment from the hobby I need to knock out about 300 models, I decided to give “Army Painter” a try…

On the first pic you can see how I painted the mini before applying the dip. As you can see, there was really nothing more than just blocking in the colors. I tried to make it as crisp as possible…. but it’s really unimpressive.

I decided not to use the dip method, but rather treated it like it was a wash. I guess the best way to describe it is to treat it like a sloppy wash… but it’s a little sticky… So you have the opportunity to go back and add in more where it looks thin. After a minute or two, I started to see a lot of excess gathering. Thanks to the internet, I knew I needed to wick it off with a dry brush…. I think I did a good job. Then I let it dry for the night. Today I slapped on some Dull Coat varnish (testors) and this is the final product.

As you can see, the results are pretty stunning… Now, can you get the same effect with washes and drybrushing… Sure, and in a lot of ways, you can do a much better job… but it’s really hard to get that same effect in as little time as I spent on this guy.

So couple of lessons learned….
  • The pigment will darken your colors a bit.
  • Take some time when you block paint. I went over it once pretty rough… then when back with each color used and cleaned up the edges…. I think starting with a good base will make a huge difference…
  • It looks like ass right after you put the varnish on… You’ve got to let it sit a day and then hit it will dull coat to really get the effect
  • Also, it takes a while to dry… after about 3 hours it wasn’t tacky….
  • They say it works best with brighter colors (ie you get more depth of shading) On the piece above you can see on his chest armor straps that Bestial Brown does not stand out much next to the Vermin brown… I would have done better to make that a white…. which leads me to my next point
  • Contrasting colors work best… might be worth some time planning out your painting.
Finally I think it’s worth discussing what it is and what it isn’t… It’s not a magic one step solution to getting decent looking models. Think if it like “Super Delvin Mud” – If you paint too heavily or are sloppy then it will just look like a muddy version of this. Also, on the test piece above… I haven’t done a single thing to spruce it up past the block painting… But I can see where I might want to go back and do a drybrush or some detail painting… While I don’t anticipate using this on my marines… I do think it will save me a lot of time with getting my Skaven tabletop ready….

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 09:28 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

It looks very good for the effort expended.

Does it have a noticeable odour whilst drying?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

Not really... it smells like varnish... but it's not overpowering...

Yeah, the key is "for the effort expended" --- I'd love to have the time to get everything painted to a high quality using traditional methods... but I really don't... and seeing as how Skaven are a horde army... there are just too many of them... This method just lets me trim some time off of their production...

Project Log - Click Here

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-10, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

More Skaven

I like the way this guy came out… But he’s really just a test piece… Because I had chopped up his nice rock thingy that he’s standing one… he doesn’t fit very well in the ranks… So he’ll probably not see the field… unless I run his as a wizard or something…

Another test piece. I have decided on not using the vermin brown as their primary skin/fur-tone. There just isn’t enough contrast with their spears and shields…

Here’s the Japanamie version of my engineer… I tried to do the whole Hakama and Kimono thing… but I think it really just came out looking kind of dumb…

Finally, here’s the scheme I have settled on… Codex Grey for the skin….

And here’s a couple of finished weapons teams….

Project Log - Click Here

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-10, 08:29 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

I am liking the look of all of them so far. +rep

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 10:28 AM

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 01:57 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

The grey skin is very nice. I like the way that things are turning out.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-10, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Ask me about Pins

I wanted to see how much of a pain the backside it would be to knock out ten skaven clanrats at a go… So I sat down yesterday and knocked these guys out. I think that I need to take more of the same approach I took with the Bretts… Ie, change out the color series between batches so that I end up with a truly motley looking group. For XMas my wife got me a set of what she called “old main coin collecting goggles” AKA according to the box a “dual power magnifying head-visor” – They are super stong and as a test I did the Skaven eyes with them… which made the whole process super easy.

Project Log - Click Here

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 03:14 PM

Another well painted unit.

To add motley, how about painting two units in alternation and mixing up the models; then you benefit from changed colours and being able to just keep painting
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 03:20 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Looking good so far, going to be a great table top + army when its done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode