Marek's Raiders Dark Elf WIP-Heresy Online Painting Challenge - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

apidude's Flag is: USA

Default Marek's Raiders Dark Elf WIP-Heresy Online Painting Challenge

Marek's Raiders Dark Elf WIP - Heresy Online Painting Challenge
Background / Overall goal:
The upcoming Heresy Painting Challenge is just the thing I've needed to focus my attention on getting my Druchii Army (currently over 3000 pts in boxes), assembled, painted and ready for the table. I've been playing 40K for about 2 years and have wanted to try Fantasy Battles for about a year. I've been buying models and taking the sprues out and looking at them but not really getting serious about getting the army put together up til now. I kept getting distracted with finishing my Tau army and Space Marine Brotherhood of Fire army.

The overall goal will be, over the twelve months of the challenge, to paint up a general Druchii army list of about 2000 points. I've built the list and I'll use this WIP log will chronicle how I go about getting the list built and painted according to the Painting Challenge and will document the first battle of the new army.

The generic list I will be working toward is as follows:

Hero(general):
  • Master with Hydra Blade, Dragonbane Gem, and Potion of Speed mounted at first on a Dark Steed and then later on a Manticore.
Core:
  • 20 Warriors with Spears, Lordling, Musican, and Standard Bearer.
  • 20 Warriors with Crossbows, Lordling, Musician, and STandard Bearer
  • 20 Corsairs with 2 weapons, Reaver, Musician, and Standard Bearer
  • 20 Corsairs with 2 weapons, Reaver, Musician, and Standard Bearer
  • 10 Dark Riders with spears, shield, Herald, Musician, and Standard Bearer
Special:
  • 10 Cold One Knights, with Dread Knight, Musician, and Standard Bearer
  • 2 Reaper Bold Throwers, with crew
I might take a side diversion during the Challenge if all is going well to paint up the odd single Hero/Lord/Sorceress model, just to break the monotony of painting Core troops, but the objective is to get the bulk of the models needed for the army painted. The special characters will come later or as a reward for getting the Core finished.

December 2010's Painting Goal (pre Challenge warm-up):
I tend to paint back ranks first when I am painting up a new unit. I prefer to "practice" on the back ranks so that any learning and mistakes that are made are in the back and not quite so obvious to the observer....so I'll start off with the first unit of:
  • Corsairs, Ranks 3-4, 10 models
A couple of comments first:
1. please bear with the pictures for now. I haven't quite figured out the best way to take them. They will get better as I learn how to get better shots.
2. For the sharp eyed DE player, you will notice that there are a lot of the old model Corsairs in the mix. I confess. I am cheap. I don't throw nuthin' away. In one sense, a Corsair is a Corsair, whether it is old school or new. I fully expect to mix all the models together into to units that will consist of mostly new models and some old.
3. They look dusty in the pictures. Some of that is lack of picture taking skill, the other is that they have been sitting on a shelf for about a year. Before I start painting I will wash them down and let them dry.
4. I daubed some paint on them when I first got them and right now they look terrible. Keep in mind that this WIP log starts with the beginning and shows how they develop. Hopefully by the end of December they will look quite a bit better.

Before:

Corsairs, Ranks 3-4, 10 models

Coming up - January 2011 Goal: The Challenge starts!
Continuing the development of the first Corsairs unit, January will complete the Corsairs unit by finishing:
  • Corsairs, Ranks 1-2, 7 models
  • Corsairs, Reaver, 1 model
  • Corsairs, Musician, 1 models
  • Corsairs, Standard Bearer, 1 model

Your comments are welcome although, at this point, wishes of luck and support would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking and check back in December for updates.

Last edited by apidude; 01-22-11 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 09:07 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just a quick reminder- you realise the Challenge doesn't start till Jan 2011 right? So anything you do in December won't be considered towards the challenge.
post #3 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought it was opening up in December. Oh well, I think I will still start in Dec. That will get the old Corsairs painted and done and I can work with the new models. Who knows what Santa might bring down the chimney.
I've edited my original post to reflect the actual start. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Last edited by apidude; 11-20-10 at 11:56 AM.

post #4 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 02:43 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Sounds like a good plan! Good luck with the army creation and the challenge!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #5 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Default Marek's Dark Elf Raiders: Corsairs, Ranks 3 and 4 ... Conclusion

Marek's Dark Elf Raiders: Corsairs, Ranks 3 and 4 ... Conclusion
Final Thoughts on January's Challenge....
In retrospect, the Jan Challenge has been extremely helpful to my painting approach. Rather than being mostly random, keeping focused on "these 10 models" let me more fully experiment with shading and highlighting of the models. Previous to this, my focus was "get three colors on the model and get it on the table".

I am a lot happier with the models with some depth developed in the model. Now, if I can only grapple with and beat the painting of the eyes.... my hands always "twitch" just as I apply the white and it gets blobbed into the eyecavity. It makes my models look like a twisted poker just goosed them. One model I painted the eyes on 12 times and washed it out because it looked bad. I gave it up for a bit. I think I developed a bit of a block. I finally managed to get the faces painted but am still not happy with them....they look like faces that were painted on rather than simply a face on a person. I will have to keep working on it...practice, hopefully, will make perfect.

Since I had to take a pass on the challenge due to the winter storm that blew through Ohio and made the power go "phtttt" on Feb 1, 2011, I'll post pictures later this week when the power is back on and I can finish editing them. [Edit: Pictures posted below on 2/5/2011.]

On the horizon....

The February Challenge will be to tackle ranks 1 and 2 of this Corsairs unit to include the standard bearer, the Reaver(champion), musician, and the remaining models needed to complete the first two ranks. If there is time, I'd also like to paint one of my three Assassins or one of my Sorceresses.

Your comments and suggestions are extremely valuable to me, especially on the painting of faces/eyes. In January's Painting Challenge I spent more time on that than on anything else. Now, granted, I'd never really tried to paint faces before (my other armies, Tau and Space Marines, have complete helmets which cover their entire face) and found working faces to be at the very edge of what I am able do. I hope, with practice, I can get my faces to look more natural. Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks Humkt for creating and managing the Challenge.

Last edited by apidude; 02-05-11 at 09:55 PM.
post #6 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 05:32 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by apidude View Post
Since I had to take a pass on the challenge due to the winter storm that blew through Ohio and made the power go "phtttt" on Feb 1, 2011....
Sounds annoying in the extreme; my condolences.

Quote:
Now, if I can only grapple with and beat the painting of the eyes.... my hands always "twitch" just as I apply the white and it gets blobbed into the eyecavity. It makes my models look like a twisted poker just goosed them....

...Your comments and suggestions are extremely valuable to me, especially on the painting of faces/eyes. In January's Painting Challenge I spent more time on that than on anything else. Now, granted, I'd never really tried to paint faces before... and found working faces to be at the very edge of what I am able do. I hope, with practice, I can get my faces to look more natural.
I encountered the same hurdle when I moved from Chaos Marines to Warriors of Chaos.

The thing that helped me the most was the realisation that - unless you are very very close - a shaded eye-socket and a painted eyeball with dark iris are almost indistinguishable, so try not white painting over the base skin tone on the eyes and just washing the sockets with a pink/brown/grey wash depending on your skin tone.

Once you can get some photographs up I am sure someone will be able to give you more targeted advice.
post #7 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 05:50 PM
Unfinished Project King

Quote:
It makes my models look like a twisted poker just goosed them.
God that gave me a good laugh!

Quote:
found working faces to be at the very edge of what I am able do. I hope, with practice, I can get my faces to look more natural.
That is really the key. But Dave has a very good point. Try experiementing with some other techniques and you may find that you have a good solution that doesn't involve painting the eyes white with an iris.

post #8 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Icon Painting eyes -- Redux

Thanks, gents for the advice. I suppose that with light skinned models a wash with thinned brown ink or Devlan Mud or Ogryn Flesh would work itself into the cracks and shade them. With dark or grey skinned models just a darker shade or black.

With my Tau (blue skin) a very thin wash of black/purple, or Leviathan Blue, maybe?

The key would be using a very thin wash, yes?
post #9 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 10:41 PM
Unfinished Project King

Quote:
The key would be using a very thin wash, yes?
Yes a very thinned wash over several layers until you get it the way you want it to look. You don't want to apply too much pigment at once or it will just change the color of the skin tone instead of washing just the recesses.

post #10 of 294 (permalink) Old 02-05-11, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Default The Power is Back On and Here are January's Models

Well, finally got power back up and managed to download the pics and get them ready to be posted.

Here they are:

As always, for those of you who chose to read, your suggestions are welcome.

(Note: I still have some highlighting and detail work to finish as well as finish the bases. I'll take care of those little details in between painting sessions on February's Challenge.)

Last edited by apidude; 02-05-11 at 11:39 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode