The Quest for Abaddon - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Well a bit of a major update here. I've been working on Abaddon a fair bit the last couple days.

That's an over all shot of the model thus far. here are some more detailed shots:

I completed the trophy rack by adding a Sorcerer-ish looking helmet, that's been properly beaten and broken of course which is mounted atop a Geanstealer's skull. IN the back is a Necron head mounted on top of a Dark Angle's helmet. For some added grotesqueness I attached a pair of tethered skulls to the back of each of the exhaust stacks of the back of the model.

I figure Abaddon would be a fairly decorated fighter and thus would carry signs of such decoration in the forms of talismans and icons. TO show this, I've attachs a couple hanging Icons on the armor. There's a Khorne icon hanging from his right knee while a Chaos undivided talisam adorns his left hip plate.

Here are some shots of the converted Talon prior to attachment. I think it pretty well speaks for it's self.

Next step... the head. Oh this is going to be fun.

I have to say, this project has been really challenging. Firstly because this is the first time I've put this much forethought and planning into a conversion. Seriously, about 85% of the work I had laid out before I purchased the parts. But secondly because of the level of detail I'm putting into the conversion. I mean I've done detailed conversions before, but something about this one is different. This isn't some random commander I decided to make a name and model for. This is Abaddon. Love him or loath him, everyone knows him. His model has been a staple of Chaos Marine Codexes for more then a decade. I've always felt a certain amount of trepidation about converting an established character and this was no exception. Thus far I have to say, I'm liking how this is turning out.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed and encouraged.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 12:12 AM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Absolutely incredible work, loving the SG helmet in his fist as well as the storylines behind each of the trophies upon his rack. This is turning out to be quite epic!

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

I've had a really great time on this project. I'm giving thought to expanding the project to include Lords of the Chaos Legions. So it'd be a series of 9 models, one from each of the traitor legions using the same concept of approach I used for Abaddon, planning out details before begining conversion and developing the idea behind the model in the planning stage.

So I'd be building a Word Bearers Dark Apostle, an Iron Warriors War Smith, a World Eaters Lord, a Night Lords Terror Monger, a Thousand Sons Sorcerer lord, an Emporer's Children Perfected Lord, an Alpha Legion Commander, A Death Guards Plague Lord, and Abaddon the Despoiler (Not sure if I'll do a new model, or use the one I'm building now).

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 03:06 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

You have done a magnificent job so far. The attention to detail is most impressive. But as you said, it is the most recognisable character in the chaos stable. Got to say that you have done him justice so far. The talon is magnificent.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Default I present, Abaddon the Despoiler

I present to you the scourge of the Galexy, the prodigal son of Horus the Warmaster, the Champion of Champion of Chaos, the Lord of the Black Legion, the Bane of the Imperium, the being who's name is a blight on a thousand world, The Leader of the Black Crusades...

Abaddon the Despoiler!

There are a couple tiny areas I need to fix up with green stuff, but the project is 99% complete! I set out on this project with a personal drive, to update Abaddon to a form and size that A- Matches up with the newer models, B- is iconic and unmistakable, and C- Does the character justice. I feel the final product of this project has succeeded in meeting these goals.

I'm not stranger to doing conversions, but in the past I've had some trepidation about converting new versions of existing models. Will my conversion be recognizable as the character? Will it look as good? Will I get all the War gear on him he's supposed to have? When I set out to update Abaddon all of these questions were on my mind, and truthfuly the fact that it is Abaddon made the challenge all that much greater.

I admit, a year ago I wouldn't have done this. There was just something about about rebuilding a model that's already been made that seemed.. I donno, arrogant. Like I'm saying the original model isn't good enough. Perhaps it was Tzeentch weaving it's magics about me that offered an opportunity for change. A while back I had begin hosting Conversion challenges. While each challenge was different, there was always the challenge of each that people seemed to enjoy immensely.
Well life kinda came up and smacked me in the face for a bit and I was unable to actually host the 4th challenge in the series.

Well, WarInHeaven decided to run the challenge in my place. As luck would have it, I managed to have about 6 days open up and was able to enter the challenge. Something about the challenge made updating an existing model just feel different for me. It didn't feel quit so... arrogant now. I entered a hastily converted Abaddon. While the initial conversion was decent, I knew I could do better. So now I was personally challenged.

The result is what you see before you.

The single largest point of inspiration was the cover image of the Eye of Terror Codex:

How'd I do?

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 10:48 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

at least 2.5 times better then the current abbaddon model (Thing is really starting to show its age.).

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-11, 01:29 AM

That is an impressive model, clearly outshines the current Abaddon and I imagine it'll look even better painted.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 11:07 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

Agreed, rocks the 'proper' models socks off.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-11, 12:06 AM

You need to do something about that loin cloth.

It looks 'stuck' on. And it's at a dodgy angle.

I'd suggest GS'ing your own to get some flow in it.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-11, 12:30 AM
Searching for Vulkan

HorusReborn's Flag is: USA

He looks like he's suffering from dwarfism.. pass a message from him, he's a homo and will be for eternity.. the current GW model states it too!! LOL all kidding aside, the torso does need to e extended at the mid section to fit with the rest of the scale. Nice work though man in all honesty. You did some great work, but I think some added effort to the mid section will really show off your modelling skills that you posess!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode