Heresy Era Imperial Fists - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Oldenhaller's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Having begun converting some heresy era assault marines I decided that the imperial fists would be the best place to start my Heresy era army. Forgeworld were then kind enough to release the early mk's of armour so I've now a fully purchased 1750 point Heresy era army just waiting for glue and paint.

My idea for the army has two main goals, to make a playable army which is different in style to my wolves and mentors and also to make them look as sublime as I possibly can and so improving my own ability to paint. I'm planning to do some test pieces over the next couple of weeks (after nanowrimo) and then to finish putting everything together in time for the 2011army painting comp.

I have to say that the models and the castings for the forgeworld models are sublime and I can't get enough of them for detail. My only issue so far has been how the arms sit to hold the bolters, but with a little warm water and seruptitious shaving the guns fit without too much issue. At first I was tentative at attempting converting the resin but find it quite fun to work with - the slivers come off to the right amount quite easilly.

In addition to the forge worl pieces I have also included a number of parts from maximini. The steamknight heads are being used for the terminators, along with the shoulder pads and the mechanical hammers for thier thunderhammers. I've purchased the oldschool jump packs aswell for the assault marines however for these I'll need to ick up some additional forgeworld parts and assault legs - they're a bit static and 40k-like at the moment.

Cato on my next post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

So i wanted the army to be led by a special character, but not one which would break or overly define the army...enter cato sicarius.

for this conversion I wanted to have a comanding, regal figure still in archaic armour and so I chose the masters of the chapter captain with the power axe and the storm shield as this gave me the most versatility and detail in one. I've used parts from the MkIII marines so that the army feels cohesive (backpack and forearms) and also a chaos plasma pistol to keep with the 30k ethic.

The head as you can see is a wolf. I like to think of the heresy era as something of a golden age and nothing says that quite like rediculous facial hair. All of my characters and sargeants will be bare headed and sport a selection of hairsuite stylings. The inspiration for this was taken from Aerion the Faithful's Rogal Dorn, which is one of my favorite pieces of 30k artwork of all time.

Anywho...the miniature.

*EDIT : Included improved picture*

Last edited by Oldenhaller; 11-16-10 at 06:00 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

And the first three iron armoured marines. These guys are massive and look absoloutly brutal, just what I was hoping for!

Again appologies for the quality of the shot - this shall be rectified!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47514_10150252840930293_718250292_14590906_7984128_n.jpg (46.1 KB, 50 views)

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 06:46 PM

very nice so far, look forward to seeing more.

"Once you realize that we are all blood, blood waiting to be spilt, then you really know what freedom is. We are free of honor and duty, we can do as we please, and it pleases us to kill."

Impurity shall be our armor
Hatred shall be our weapon
Immortality shall be our reward
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 07:42 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds like an epic log, enjoying reading the reasoning behind your conversions.

Can't wait to see some paint and watch how this progresses, keep it up!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll hopefully be putting some brush to plastic to do some test pieces - I'm hoping to do the army as part of the 2011 army painting challenge. Once I've got them all built on squad by squad basis I'll post them up.

On an related note...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00645-20100421-0809.jpg (175.0 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-10, 02:30 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

mad mo/beard

and looking forward to seeing how you paint your IF

LET THE FISTS UNITE, CLEANSE THE FILTH, THE XENOS, THE HERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-10, 05:38 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Conversions are looking good so far

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-10, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, Have done a few small onversions for the other pieces and need to get some empire bits for the gorgets for my terminators but then we're done. I've cobled together some MkVI tactical marines which I'll try some paint schemes out on over the next couple of nights - I'm at the moment thinking a mix of equal parts iyandan darksun/Sunburst Yellow/Water, wash with either gryphone sepia or devlan mud and then highlighting up with bleached bone. I hope it'll be quite mustardy.

Am trying to think if it's a good idea to make them all blonde or not...I know the captain will be and doing it with all of them will give it both a cohesive feel, a tie to the primarch (a'la faithful) with thier genetic heritage and then has some rather aryan overtones which rather suits the nascent imperium in my mind.

Last edited by Oldenhaller; 11-12-10 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-10, 07:38 AM

Kobrakai's Flag is: United Kingdom

A cool start, I like the conversion on the masters of the chapter model.

I'll be watching for more updates! Good luck with the build!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode