The Reverend's Space Wolves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-02-10, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default The Reverend's Space Wolves

hey hey,

I keep posting up pics of whatever the latest addition to my Space Wolves army happens to be but I haven't really shown you guys the army in full so I thought I'd start this project log and just keep this updated in future.

A bit of back ground is that this is my second Space Wolves army, with about 14 years additional painting experience on the first (I wont be showing my previous wolves, started when I was 14...). I've had many armies in between but the wolves of Fenris have always been my first love.

I prefer a darker shade of grey than the GW standard for my Wolves, which is a good background for the red spot colour I have running through the units and contrasts will with the new snow flock I have been slowly retrofitting my army's bases with over the last few weeks.

This army is based on Bjorn Stormwolf's Great Company as I liked his background in the new codex and I started my first squad about two weeks before the release of the new wolf minis. So after 12 months, this is where the army stands. Not too big yet, but my three Grey Hunters and 2 Blood Claws squads are nearly at full strength and I have quite a lot of options available to me for a game.

Some things I am looking at adding are another vindicator (good fluff-wise with Bjorn, and two vindicators in a game work pretty well I have found), and some more rhinos for my troops. Eventually I want two Land Raider Crusaders for my Blood Claws too as I found this was a game-winning combination on many occasions with my previous army. Generally I just paint the minis I like the look of and love converting and trying out new things.

So here's the pics:

The army in full as it stands 12 months after being started
100_2321.JPG

My version of Ragnar Blackmane with a squad of Blood Claws
100_2325.JPG

Some Grey Hunters
100_2326.JPG

A few more Grey Hunters
100_2327.JPG

My Wolf Guard, I have one to act as a leader for each of my squads
100_2328.JPG

My Wolf Guard terminators
100_2329.JPG

My Swift Claws
100_2330.JPG

The squad of Sky Claws I'm working on at the moment. I want them to look really feral, like some of the images in the 'Collected Visions' book
100_2333.JPG

A wolf Guard Battle Leader I aim to field with the Sky Claws. Expensive points-wise, but I rarely care about that if the mini looks cool
100_2336.JPG

I won't re-post pics i've already posted, but some earlier posts of different bits of my Space Wolves are here:
Some Wolf Guard: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=72126
Ragnar Blackmane: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71399
Wolf Spawn: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71811
Wolf Standard: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=69982

I'll update this as quickly as I paint. Any comments and ideas welcome (in particular about the Sky Claws, i think they look pretty good but if you have any suggested improvements before i start the paint job...).

Thanks for reading.

Rev

Last edited by TheReverend; 12-03-10 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-02-10, 03:39 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

That WGBL is brilliant. Was it a big job to reposition the wolf claws? I really hate how they are posed in the box.
post #3 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-02-10, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

Khorne's Fist, it wasn't a big job, just slice them at the elbow. it means the cabling is slightly out of line, but that doesn't matter once the shoulder pad is on.

Yeah, I don't even know what they were thinking when they created that pose, the guy in the codex looks like some shaman charming a snake the way he's posed...

Rev

post #4 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 02:02 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Impressive looking army. Nice work. Any more pics of rangar?
I like the fact that your priority is how they look, not the cheese factor.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #5 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 02:29 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

nice work man, did you use Gabriel Seth as the base model for Ragnar? A+ work either way

ever thought of making custom models for the other major heros?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #6 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
Impressive looking army. Nice work. Any more pics of rangar?
I like the fact that your priority is how they look, not the cheese factor.
shaantitus check out:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...nverted+ragnar

it's always been about having something that I want to paint rather than how good it is on the table top. I guess I'm not a power player really, gaming is a social occasion i partake in once a week with mates over a beer. It's just coincidence that i happen to win quite a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
ever thought of making custom models for the other major heros?
Logan Grimnar is next on my list. I like the Njarl mini, but we really need a new wolf priest mini so that's on my list too

Rev

Last edited by TheReverend; 10-03-10 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 278 (permalink) Old 11-05-10, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

hey hey,

Just a quick update. Still working in Manchester, and subsequently living in a hotel 5 nights a week, so my painting time has been stunted. Since i last posted i have been busy painting my Skyclaws and wolf guard battle leader with jump pack, which i hope to have done and some pictures posted by the end of the weekend...

I have also stuck together a pack of Longfangs and some Blood Claws and Grey Hunters which i needed to finish off a couple of squads.
100_2415.JPG

Two mini's i brought for a Raven Wing tournament army-that-never-happened have now become part of my Swift Claws pack. And on a recent trip back to see my folks in Nottingham i popped into Warhammer World. Whilst there i took many many pics of their Space Wolf army, among other things, but also picked myself up a Venerable Dreadnought. He's not finished yet, when i get some more Wolf Terminators i'll steal a few more wolf tails to stick on him.
100_2414.JPG

Again, comments welcome, and i promise to get some painted mini's posted soon!!

Rev

Last edited by TheReverend; 04-24-11 at 10:32 AM.
post #8 of 278 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

Finally finished the Wolf Lord with jump pack along with the 5 man squad of Skyclaws he'll be leading. Eventually it will be ten men.

I wanted them to look really feral, like the images in 'Collected Visions', and i thought by using Mk6 armour and a sprinkling of chain axes, i would be able to do this. Unfortunately, I don't think they look feral enough, not angry enough, so i think the next 5 will be helmet-less, with more axes and more wolf pelts, more charging forward and screaming at the foe just before they tear the still beating hearts from their traitorous, xenos chests!

Essentially my posing of the minis has failed my initial vision.

100_2417.JPG

100_2421.JPG

100_2422.JPG

Comments and criticism welcome.

As i intend to enter the 40k Doubles tournament in January i am going to be working on the additional models i need for that, namely a scout squad and a land raider crusader. Will post the progress as it develops

Rev
post #9 of 278 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 06:06 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

That WGBL turned out brilliant. That purple on the claws really is striking. Love it.
post #10 of 278 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Drinker of tea...

Thanks Khorne's Fist,

As always, your comments are appreciated. The purple didn't photograph too well, and my mate said he looked too much like superman! so not all the comments have been great today haha

Rev

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode