My boyz of the green tide. Progress, but mainly please advise me thread ;) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Eeveria's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default My boyz of the green tide. Progress, but mainly please advise me thread ;)

So a few first thing firsts... Some lovely admin may have to resize them for me;).. (oh no its ok.. ooo who knew i was technical!)

I am rather shiny and new to the hobby, and these pictures below are here as they do not yet deserve a place in the gallery. I have only been doing this for just under a month, so I know that I have a lot to learn.
I am buildingup the ranks of my ork army, aiming to try for a rather mixed approach, but for the time being a green tide of infantry. I will pop up a point list ater for those that are interested :D
The pictures that follow are from models throughout the course of this first month, so i am showing you the warts and all learning curve that i am on.. its bloody steep too. i am learning as i go, making the mistakes means i am able to push myself on from them, so as it stands i will not repaint those that infuriate me, as i need to be able to look at them and realise the problem areas.

One thing i have already learned.. get a better camera! so sorry in advance. Secondly it is only when you zoom right in that i now realise just how much more work should of been lavished on my boyz, but gutting as it is, it has also pushed me forward into now knowing just how far i really do need to improve.
I thought my higlighting on brow ridges etc was improving, until i zooomed in with this camera... i would .ike to say it is the camera and light quality not picking up the tiny details.. but i think i would be fooling myself!

I know it is all personal preference and choice, but I like my boyz a non neon green, rather than mixing up a pot of pre mix, i tend to do each model at a time, as i like the effect of the differing colour range of greens, from dark and muddy, to sickly yellow. To me it is more of an organic realism... they dont have the luxury of standard issue regimented armour, and all skin tones, alien to human differ underneath. But that is just my taste...

I am self taught and have yet to take up the invitation to attend a gw for help... so please any advice or criticism is appericated as it helps me learn.
I struggle with frustration at not being able to base them as they deserve, and goggles and reflected glass or all types!
currently i free hand all my checks and dags, but i am thinking about attempting placing transfers on at the base coat stage and see how this turns out, as i will be able to weather and 'scratch' them up. At the moment i think the wobbly lines and mismatched sizes of checks lends itself well to the imgae of a big crushy bashy thick orkz fingers painting them onto a buddys armour. (you do realise that is just an excuse dont you?)

This is my very first character away from painting boyz. It is a painboy. I tried to aim to go for a sickly yellow tone on the skin. with a slight lobotomy scar peeping out from under his hat. I now see I should of done differing tones in the blood spatter.

Last edited by Eeveria; 10-01-10 at 11:31 AM. Reason: was doing to try to sort my typos.. but i think i better just say sorry now and leave them in.think of it as a certain charm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Default A few more of the army in progress

No pain boy is complete without a grot.

Gaz... who grumbles at me continously for not being based as he deserves...

see need help with goggles... drives me crazy

Weridboy
Another of my lighter skin tone models, i think sometimes having the larger ones a differing colour makes tham stand out once the army is formed up. Makes them a little more striking at the front. I wasnt happy with the affect on the skin of this one, i was aiming for a lumpy, almost starting to mutate feel, but i think i lost some of the detailing that i should of achieved with better highlighting.

Last edited by Eeveria; 10-01-10 at 11:33 AM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Default my beloved boyz

random beloved boyz.

Stompy crushy blasty killy orkz always look better in a tide

One of my darker tones, i learnt that i truly needed to work on highlighting, I do it free hand mostly rather than drybrushing as i am still too heavy handed with a db, and leave brush marks. I leave to much paint rather than just pigment on the bristles. This below model, whom cried out to me to allow him to stomp on a gretchen, lacks any detailing where he deserves it.
Forgive my chipping nail varnish but it is the only pink allowed near my boyz

below is a boy i painted straight after the above, i am hoping the learning curve in the muscle and highlighting to pick out deatils shows in contrast to the above... i hope :S or i am learnign nothing lol

rust ... rust... no ork army is complete without rust..(ignore the ork skin )
i currently use boltgun metal as a base, tin blitz watered down as a wash, allow it to dry . db methril silver on areas that i want to apear scratched up. wash with devlan mud. then free hand around all the edges with silver again and a steady hand to make it appear higlighted but also define the scratches.. I am going to try more pitting work. i was thinking of using black on a small area, then orange, then a silver. to make a corosion affect... but not to sure. at the moment i allow the tin bitz wash to pool where i want the most rust and add and layer that area again once each is dry. Sometimes adding a very very watered down drop of black onto rivit detail.

and just because!.. beacause i love them all... and enjoy painting them to the extend of hmming a special gretchin tune when i do

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Currently finishing off my mek, as this forum has become a welcome distraction... and i tend to give him five minutes then abanddon him!

after my mek, the next on the to do list is 10 gretchin, then onto the trukk. Which i am a little concerned about, as it will be my first vroomy thing on wheels, so any tips will be so warmly recieved.

xx
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 11:49 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Eeveria, you have said in other places you need to work more on your painting. but I personally think your orks are painted quite well. When I do skins I tend to follow a similar idea, since not everyone is going to be a pale white person... well atleast not until I get my dark elves started in nov.

You definitly have some of the better models I have seen painted. and Ive seen alot since I Lurk these forums every day especially the Project log pages. I cant help much with advice on how to improve ork painting though, since I know Im horrable at realistic eyes, and I know im horrable with skins, which Im hoping to fix with my dark eldar.

but im rambleing again. +rep for the orks regardless
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

KhainiteAssassin, thank you so much for the feedback..its nice to have a fellow lurker alongside me :D

and you didnt ramble at all!
Its nice to have replies, especially from people that suffer with the eyes like i do.
I like the challenge of the skins, and trying to get the muscle and sinew definition, i am hoping the more i do the more comfortable i will be with doing it. I think its only through making the mistakes that i will get better... hehe trying to soothe myself now..

thank you again, and cant wait to see your log when you start your new lot in nov!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 12:35 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I read your initial post and you had prepared me for models that were of a poor standard(like mine) But for a first hit at it these are really impressive. The thing is that by choosing orks you have given yourself a huge advantage. They are all meant to look different and imperfect by their nature. Rep for the fine work. If this is how you start then it will be interesting to see how you progress from here.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 12:41 PM
rich11762's Flag is: England

i gotta say i really like your work it looks very effective, ill try and take note of it when doin my own work.

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your kind comments.
I have to say i do really enjoy sitting down in the evening to devote some time to my boyz.
I think the fact that i do really enjoy modelling of the army itself, the customisation opportunities, the fluff, and like Shaantitus said, their imperfect nature of the orks themselves, means i too am really keen to keep up on this journey of progression.
Mistakes and a shaky hand go well with these guys too, like you said... so they do suit my ability lol
I dont tend to get any tedium or boredom setting in, which is a big relief seeing how many boyz need my attention!
Some of the other ork work on here makes me gulp and wonder how i will ever get there, but i hope i can try.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 01:01 PM

foulacy's Flag is: England

Location: Middlesbrough, Teeside, Cleveland, England, Europe, Earth

Wow lol, you are the second person on this forum, who I have seen who has started with a post saying your a beginner, then post pictures that looks like you have been painting for a while.

I would seriously be proud of these if they are your first minis painted. Keep it up mate, look forward to seeing more.

Nice to see a localish lad on here too, you a Leeds fan?

"Look upon me and know that i can slay you at will, you have no defense save one: to look into the darkness at the back of your mind. There you will find Father Nurgle waiting to offer you life in return of your submission. Deny him and you are mine."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode