Firstly for those who are interested the the thread discussing the army list is here
and the thread discussing the modelling is here
So to start with this will be based on the space marine codex and had been inspired, in part, by "Mechanicus" and "Titanicus". (Hopefully) Over the next couple I will keep adding updates on my progress.
To start with we have the Master of the Forge or an Adept of the Mechanicus.
Sorry for the lack of WIP pictures, but my camera has been a bit temperamental.
The model represents a MOTF with a Conversion Beamer on a "Bike".
The model is comprised of a Empire Engineer's Mechnical Steed, a Space Marine Techmarine with Servo Harness, a Necron Destroyer Cannon and all mounted on the new(ish) round bike base.
I started with the steed and filled off the engineer's legs and the sigma emblems. This was a massive pain in the ass as my big files didn't fit in the gap where the legs were, so I had to use a fine file to take down about 3/4 cm of metal, on both sides. After this I was seriously considering getting a Dremel! The "saddle" of the steed was also filed to accepted the techmarine.
Next I cut the Techmarine in two along the waist line and then cut between his legs to separate them. The legs where the glued into place in the newly filed recesses. Any gaps were then filled with green stuff, where appropriate. The torso of the techmarine was then glued to the top of the legs and the saddle. The legs and the saddle end were filed to flat to make this easier. The gaps were then filled with green stuff.
Next up was the servo harness. I orginally intended to use all four arms, but decided against use the bottom two as the model got too complicated. A standard servo arm is in place on the techmarine's left shoulder. The conversion beamer is mounted on the stripped down servo arm that would usually be on the right shoulder. The servo arm was cut to accept the destroyer cannon. The cables that were present originally where cut and trimmed to make them shorter. This cable was then re-attached to connect the arm to the cannon.
The base has two holes drilled in it to accept the pegs from the steed. The steed doesn't sit exactly straight, so I filled up the space under the right hoof with green stuff to re-balance the model.
All that remains is to get 4 cut lengths of "light gathering" acrylic rod for the conversion beamer. I thinking of using blue. The problem with this material is the postage is ridiculous! I might just get clear tubes and ink them.
Overall I am very happy with the way this turned out. There was a stage when I really didn't like. There were issues with the right side with the conversion beamer and the techmarines right arm, which resulted in the model looking off balance and just "not right". This was resolved by shortening the cable, changing the arm from the auspex to the bolter arm and re-positioning both the conversion beamer and the bolter arm.
Let me know what you guys think.
Next up Riflemen Dreadnoughts ("baby" knights)!