Quick Sculpts - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-19-11, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Miniature's Surgeon

Dusty's Corner's Flag is: Philipines

Hi all,
There's lots of things going on that I need to get round to pic'ing and tut'ing. I haven't forgotten the tutorials. It's just trying to get coherent step-by-step pics is tricky. But a little tip on how I did some (like the skulls below) is to
use a small flat piece of metal to work on. Sculpt on a tinnie blob of baking putty, bake it, then trim it down to an even smaller bit. Now you can start adding more putty and sculpting a skull/face. The little pre-baked bit is to help stop what you're sculpting slide about. Once your done, bake again. Then remove it from the metal backing and add some putty to the back, bake again. Then add wire armature (avoiding seam, and thus splitting front from back).

So here are my new skulls (more are on the way). A bit of a mixture of sizes.

- Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-11, 02:10 AM

DocB's Flag is: USA

these are awesome man!!
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Miniature's Surgeon

Hi all
Sorry it's been ages, but her comes the updates:

Some quick pics showing the previous skulls in their orginal baked form.

These 2 are new. Held by a crocodile clip filled with putty to avoid the teeth leaving marks. The other one is sitting in a metal rack I use to bake (using an oven tray as well). More on the rack later.

This is...erm...trying to get rid of old glittlery putty. I dunno, a duck skull? Anyway, glittler is a bad idea. I do not know why I bought putty with glittler in it. So in order to get rid of it, it's been slowly mixed into other putties. So you might notice bits of glittler in sculpts

This skulls has some normal greenstuff added to do finer details. It's currently in a process to get the eye sockets symmetrical. The last skull, has no eye sockets. It's more of a blank head for things with grins It's actually burnt in the top-right corner. The wire armature is quite long so when it was baking, it was quite high up off the oven tray which meant it was exposed to higher temperatures - Lesson learned. There's a better example with one of the torsos to come.

oki, Heads needs bodies, so next update will have torsos!
Cheers,
Dusty

Last edited by Dusty's Corner; 12-18-11 at 02:20 PM.

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-18-11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Miniature's Surgeon

Male Torso. This is the burnt example woops!

Armour Torso

Fatso Torso

Heads again
Fixed the beard a little and gave some ears. Quick paint job to give idea.

Granny. Sorry about the hairs.

Dyer - needs ears.

AlienElf. Had to dig out the nose and resculpt an extra nostil. Ears were a PINA.

I used the lion face on the shields for the Mantic Games dwarfs.

Woodles,
ElDusto

Last edited by Dusty's Corner; 12-18-11 at 03:38 PM.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Miniature's Surgeon

Hey all,
I've been slowly moving over to a newer camera, yeehaw.

This critter, erm..dunno. But it's being hacked up and resculpted to give better features and some kind of arms are being done.

Castle from chess. I want to mould this, but I've no idea how it'll come out, fingers crossed.

Torsos
Generally working on stomach and sides. Necks & collar bones are being tricky but I'm making adjustments. Been doing lots of studying. Trying to get proportions right, that's when you realise what you've sculpted is way off lol.

This one is a bit smaller than the previous but much more defined. The back is a mess (same as previous). Also moving over to grey colour clay to help see things better (basically mixing in black sculpey).

It could do with a bit of sanding before doing some more bulking out.

Lady, kinda Pin-up style But really the general size is too small, the model that is :p

Needs quite a bit of work around the tummy, under the ribcage and hips going round towards the bum. Locating the belly button was a mystery for a while (don't always rely on reference material, especially if from artwork and not real-life - damn comics). Her belly button is far too low.

Not too sure whether to continue with these torsos or start yet more. You tend to notice mistakes later on and sometimes going back trying to bulk it out starts to get the proportions way off. The model can become monterous and just too awkward to work with anymore. But it's not all bad news because although yeh it's off, you realise where you've gone wrong and where to make adjustments. It also means that you're making progress and refining your eye for detail becoming more observant. And actually the simple act of posting pics has made me see yet more things I need to sort out. So WIP's pics can in some ways help you access your own progress better than holding it in your hand. For example comparing left and right sides is easier on screen than by rotating it 180 degrees back and forth trying to compare in your hand.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-12, 05:19 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Amazing stuff Dusty, wish I had the patience or talent to sculpt like that.

As far as the backs go, the first torso and the female torso I'd say look the best. Not sure how you've come along on the middle, but it seems like the muscles are located in odd places. Then again, I can't imagine you'd want to study pictures of ripped guys with their shirts off too much haha.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-12, 08:20 PM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

Agree on Boc's sentiments there Dusty. Some awesome stuff still coming off your workbench. Scale wise how big are those torsos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc View Post
Then again, I can't imagine you'd want to study pictures of ripped guys with their shirts off too much haha.
Well he could but not sure what his missus would think if she walked in while he was doing it...
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-12, 09:32 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

That is amazing stuff mate, way better than anything I could do with my sausage fingers!

Rev
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Miniature's Surgeon

Thank guys, I'm glad people are pleased with the progress. I’ll get some pics with scale at some point, they’re all a bit smaller than space marine torsos.

Thought I'd try to share some more insight:

Patience
These are in no way my first attempt! A bit here, and a bit there might take some time (and many bakes), but you can keep a steady pace, review, and make adjusts before going too far and then realising things are way off. I find studying each area bit by bit, muscle by muscle is the best way to understand anatomy. It's no good just studying one muscle. You could copy a pose to get the right muscle 'expression' but you limit yourself to that same pose.
The most important part is not the tools or skill but the mindset and approach (as hippy as it sounds). If you are determined, you will see it through! Patience becomes irrelevant, it’s just a matter of time. And if it takes time to achieve things, then so be it, it is time worth spending rather than wasting energy becoming frustrated. With confidence and practice, speed will pick up and things will become easier to do. You can then move onto other areas and make progress. Keep at it and keep practicing even on bad days. When it becomes second nature, you will not be so distracted with dismay and your mind can relax more on the job at hand.

Reference

lol erm...ripped men, ripped women, still shots and a big mirror. I watch a lot of wrestling and quite a bit of bodybuilding. As rehearsed as it can be, it is a vivid source of material. Not only for anatomy, but things like costumes, sets, props, promos, belts/trophies, styles and marketing. Comics are great for styling, capturing the moment and getting expressions, but they're not good for accuracy. They tend to emphasize things which can be good and bad. Taking still shots of film segments is great for study as well. Doing this can really show how things are working, how they move, and get a 3D-sense of structures in action.
Mirror & people are ‘real-life’ sources. I’m not a big muscley guy, but I am skinny like a skeleton, very boney. When studying anatomy and then referring it to my own body, the understanding becomes a bit more hardwired.
The missus doesn’t mind me analyzing things around me, but she gets freaked out easily, so I look forward to doing rancid-zombie-bug-sculpts!
Books! - I have a few. It's worth having a good few and not rely onjust one. Look towards medical diagrams and educational toys.

So where I’m at with the study?
Muscles are funny; they change shape, interact with other muscles, create form and give bodies a sense of lifestyle (having lived a life of labour for example).
The problem I’m finding now with the backs is that the muscles are over laying. When arms move out and upwards, the shoulder blades move out quite some distance, creating new angles and makes the muscles ‘pop’ as well as stretch. I believe my understanding will improve if I go further to the core and study the bones more (as they carry the muscle). It’s a bit of a back-and-forth process in order to gain an overall understanding of the body. I’m trying to isolate the muscle groups and work out how they configure with each other, we'll get there!
Remember; with determination, it’s just a matter of time.

Last edited by Dusty's Corner; 04-06-12 at 02:44 PM.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 02:31 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Corner View Post
Muscles are funny; they change shape, interact with other muscles, create form and give bodies a sense of lifestyle (having lived a life of labour for example).
The problem Iím finding now with the backs is that the muscles are over laying. When arms move out and upwards, the shoulder blades move out quite some distance, creating new angles and makes the muscles Ďpopí as well as stretch. I believe my understanding will improve if I go further to the core and study the bones more (as they carry the muscle). Itís a bit of a back-and-forth process in order to gain an overall understanding of the body. Iím trying to isolate the muscle groups and work out how they configure with each other, we'll get there!
Remember; with determination, itís just a matter of time.
I hadn't even thought of that, though it's pretty obvious now that I do. Do you have set poses in mind for once you put the arms on?

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode