Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 74 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #731 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-30-11, 10:18 PM

Sorry if i was being unclear Xeno, what i was talking about was this:

the upper left corner of the tank (viewed like in the picture) where the wing is open-ish? i hope that makes more sense. Basically just how the texture on the bird was made. Great job on the librarian by the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-11, 03:47 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I go away for a month and this is what happens... I can honestly say my mind is blown. Great work on everything, from something with a C dread to the librarian to the veterans youve been working on. I will try to condense a month of posting into this.

The blue and black is amazing you should totally stick with it, maybe put some sharks on the blue (someone mentioned that earlier...) or maybe a shark tooth or something, like the feather for the brethren. I don't know... it would look amazing.

The C thingy is amazing, maybe you should make two "plain" then a third super converted like a squad commander or something, or you could say this one has the lowest rank and convert the other two more or something... The painting looks amazing though. I can understand about the pictures... they rarely do anything justice.

The Librarian is... quite simply... amazing. I thought it would be for the sharks at first (shows how out of it i am ) but it is amazing. I still personally like the other one better just because it has a jump pack and is amazing but i think the painting on this one is much better, and that is saying alot.

The veterans in general have been great. I like the new legs, and was happy to see the "here" link had my post in it... It looks much better though, like he is getting ready to swing hard and destroy something. What are you making the Axe count as? A power weapon, Thunder Hammer, chain fist (not power fist, one of the other two) or just cc weapon? I think hammer of chain fist would be the best...

Amazing work on everything for the last month, I cant believe I missed it but keep it up, I am ever inspired and you give me so many great techniques. Now to fix our house after the hurricane... Yay
post #733 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-11, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Looks really nice Xeno! The diamond pattern on the shaft of the stave stands out really well and looks awesome! Good work bud!
It's one of those details that feels like your spending eternity on it to get it right (going back and forth with multiple colours) but then in the end it makes a whole lot of difference for the look of the miniature which makes it all worth it! I just wish that the detailing was as good all around the staff (and not shallow in some parts and very deep in others), but that's just me nagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticor View Post
Sorry if i was being unclear Xeno, what i was talking about was this:

the upper left corner of the tank (viewed like in the picture) where the wing is open-ish? i hope that makes more sense. Basically just how the texture on the bird was made. Great job on the librarian by the way!
It's pretty much just experimenting with colours. Instead of painting with the colour as a solid entity (covering the background colour more or less completely) I use a wet brush with watered down paint and I drag the pigments around creating the effect you mentioned. It's done in many layers (each layer dries pretty quickly), I'd think all in all it's about 4-5 layers of Blood Red and then 2-3 layers of Blazing Orange before a final tiny highlight layer of Vomit Brown. It's not easy to describe how I do it, you'd probably need to see it on video or similar to understand it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
I go away for a month and this is what happens... I can honestly say my mind is blown. Great work on everything, from something with a C dread to the librarian to the veterans youve been working on. I will try to condense a month of posting into this.

The blue and black is amazing you should totally stick with it, maybe put some sharks on the blue (someone mentioned that earlier...) or maybe a shark tooth or something, like the feather for the brethren. I don't know... it would look amazing.

The C thingy is amazing, maybe you should make two "plain" then a third super converted like a squad commander or something, or you could say this one has the lowest rank and convert the other two more or something... The painting looks amazing though. I can understand about the pictures... they rarely do anything justice.

The Librarian is... quite simply... amazing. I thought it would be for the sharks at first (shows how out of it i am ) but it is amazing. I still personally like the other one better just because it has a jump pack and is amazing but i think the painting on this one is much better, and that is saying alot.

The veterans in general have been great. I like the new legs, and was happy to see the "here" link had my post in it... It looks much better though, like he is getting ready to swing hard and destroy something. What are you making the Axe count as? A power weapon, Thunder Hammer, chain fist (not power fist, one of the other two) or just cc weapon? I think hammer of chain fist would be the best...

Amazing work on everything for the last month, I cant believe I missed it but keep it up, I am ever inspired and you give me so many great techniques. Now to fix our house after the hurricane... Yay
I will definitely be getting more contemptor dreadnoughts (I want 3 in total) but I'm going to have to wait a while before I buy the others. I'd like more weapon options to be released but also the chapter specific variants they mentioned before (at least see them before I convert something suitable for myself). I'd also like to cut my Warhammer spendings a bit for a while - I simply have to much unpainted plastic and I need to clear some of that backlog before I get even more...

The 2-handed axes will just be close combat weapons for now. There is no equipment in the BA codex that normal assault marines can take that suit them so I'll just have them for variation of the theme and nothing else (for now).

----

Quote:
Hope, the shield of the people, I prefer to call it naivety. I now know that they cannot fathom the impending threat hanging just outside the gates of humanity, slowly but surely clawing it's way in. A threat that has time to spare, for time is not important to these kinds of beings.

I have stepped outside the gates and I have seen the face of darkness and stared into its eyes. Lackluster orbs of angst with monsters beneath the surface. A void trying to fill itself with human emotion. At first I quelled at it's supposed might, my inexperienced almost allowed it to overwhelm me before my imprinted defence awoke, by the choirs song, and saved me from damnation. Since that day I have become more reluctant to show passion. I have been trained well and I have been lucky, but even luck runs out sooner or later.

I still have the nightmares though. I believe others of us have them as well but many are reluctant to speak of them. There is an aura of secrecy amongst the Brethren, we feel something other astarte don't and fear repercussions from the Inquisition should it become common knowledge. These nightmares have increased in frequency and intensity and while I do not fear them I cannot deny that I worry about the cause of this change, something is moving in the darkness. As our search continues and we dwell deeper into these murky waters of the abyss we cannot be certain what creatures lurk there any longer, the old teachings might no longer hold every truth...
Epistolary Librarian Lucianus, of the Claw, Mystic and Shaman of the Brethren of the Phoenix, member of the sect of the Fallen Star:

----

So, what do I think of this Librarian? Well, over all I'm very satisfied yet there are details I'm not 100% content with (the lettering on the book pages for one) and some parts I think I should revisit some time in the future if I feel like it. Over all you reach a point where you have to remind yourself that this is still mostly a tabletop army / display army for my own cabinet and not something I'm going to enter into Golden Deamon (where I would most likely get my arsed kicked anyway). I'm glad I tried out some oxidation on some of the brass/gold parts, I think it adds to the over all weathered look of the miniature. By not doing it on the entire piece you get a sense that some parts are newer then others (the force weapon would pretty likely be a very old piece of equipment while parts of his armour could have been more newly replaced/refurbished.

----

Now I have to decide what to paint this month. I should paint more infantry but it takes me so long to do that I'd probably miss the deadline if I did and I don't want to paint a single infantry miniature again. Perhaps I should add to my death company squadron (3 miniatures is after all the minimum size for Death Company) but I have no particular use for them at the moment in the army so I'm reluctant for that reason. I have more vehicles to paint but I've run out of ideas on how to paint them (freehand patterns)... It's all just a mess and I should get started right away to be able to pull if off with my busy schedule

----

Well, till next time I guess

Last edited by xenobiotic; 09-01-11 at 07:41 AM.

post #734 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-31-11, 11:32 PM

Minizke1's Flag is: USA

I'm in no position to give you advice, so I'll just leave it at...

That's the single most epic model I have EVER seen.

Win/loss record for The Fists of Vengeance- 20 - 1 - 8.
Hive Fleet Kraken- 7 - 2
The Unnamed Clan- 0 - 0 - 0
post #735 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 12:32 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Another brilliant model man! The oxidation on the imperial eagle on the back of the book really adds a ton of depth and realism to the piece and it ties into the weathering on he armor really making the piece look whole. Seeing your Libby has gotten me thinking about my Angels an some things on my Chappy I want to go back and change as well as get back to working on that tactical squad that has been languishing on the corner if my painting desk. Kudis on another sweet addition to the army!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #736 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 12:50 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
----

So, what do I think of this Librarian? Well, over all I'm very satisfied yet there are details I'm not 100% content with (the lettering on the book pages for one) and some parts I think I should revisit some time in the future if I feel like it. Over all you reach a point where you have to remind yourself that this is still mostly a tabletop army / display army for my own cabinet and not something I'm going to enter into Golden Deamon (where I would most likely get my arsed kicked anyway). I'm glad I tried out some oxidation on some of the brass/gold parts, I think it adds to the over all weathered look of the miniature. By not doing it on the entire piece you get a sense that some parts are newer then others (the force weapon would pretty likely be a very old piece of equipment while parts of his armour could have been more newly replaced/refurbished.
I really like the painting on this guy, the nice contrast between the white and blue works really well. I really like the little bits of damage you've applied to th lower legs, makes it seem like he's duffed his armour up kicking rocks whilst he's been walking.

The only thing i can see that nags at me is the pose of his left hand. Before when you pictured him without his force rod i assumed he was going to have the staff across his body and that his open hand was going to be resting on it. He's kinda got a weird air grab thing going on at the moment, like he's using the force to try and levitate something off of the ground.

Quote:
I have more vehicles to paint but I've run out of ideas on how to paint them (freehand patterns)... It's all just a mess and I should get started right away to be able to pull if off with my busy schedule
Well not content with getting a star wars referance in this response i'm going for broke and getting a star trek one in as well. Have you ever seen the intro to star trek voyager? for a long time it was one of my favourite intro's on tv thanks to the beautiful starscapes it portrays. maybe something on there will spark some inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7HNtfu_QurU

EDIT: Hmm i had planned to rep you but my miserly ways with rep has led me to need to spread it around a little more first.

Last edited by GrimzagGorwazza; 09-01-11 at 12:57 AM.
post #737 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 01:52 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Looks fantastic!
You're right about the lettering though, it looks a touch thick.
post #738 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 03:59 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

Oh man, looks great dude!

Couple responses of mine: I think the book pages looks great. Though some of the lettering does look a little messy it makes sense to me. In fact his overall look (as you aimed for) is weathered, and weathered in such a way where I cant help but picture him standing in rainy weather. So if anything it looks like the pages have water damage, which is sweet.

I like the oxidation but I think its either a bit too much, or a bit too blue in some areas. The front of the staff is one example, around the the little studs there.

Something I think would be a cool addition and have something on the model that pops a bit more contrast to the overall miniature is maybe adding some of that pink/purple psychic glow you've done before to the head of the mace and some of the upper portions of the staff. A very subtle amount would probably do it.

Cant think of any other suggestions. Thanks for continuing to inspire!

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #739 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 07:45 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Another splendid peice to look at Xeno.

His left arm looks a little stiff tho...?

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #740 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-01-11, 01:48 PM

Fenrisian's Flag is: Canada

E.P.I.C . i normally dont like libby , but your model is too awesome to not like it. Kudos

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode