Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 73 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #721 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-25-11, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Avatar
Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,157
Reputation: 7
Default

Your Liby is coming along great Xeno and your assualt marine looks like a badass with that 2-handed chain axe.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

Disciple_of_Ezekiel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-25-11, 09:19 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 972
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
Painting has been slow. I've been in a rut feeling somewhat inadequate when viewing so many other talented painters work on the forums. Top that of with being on-call and not getting enough sleep and you start to fail at even the most basic painting task - at least that's how it feels.
Wait.......Seriously?
I was about to ask you to re-train me how to paint...and you're going off about feeling inadequate... >.<
Someone hand me a 2x4 now so I can smack xeno in the head please and get some sense back into him.

I think your stuff looks great. One little tiny thing is that your eagle looks a bit too bright in the gold department compared to the belt on the libby. But that's nitpicking.

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
arumichic is offline  
post #723 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-25-11, 01:57 PM
U Mad Bro?
 
Chaosftw's Avatar
Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,777
Reputation: 18
Default

Sooo Finally caught up on this thread. Really liking the work! I am still really impressed about how the colour is very consistent through the whole army. I also am really impressed with how your white turned out. I rarely see white painted well so its very nice to see!

Keep up the good work! will def. be checking back more often!
Chaosftw is offline  
 
post #724 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-25-11, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Zognutz's Avatar
Zognutz's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Where ever the Navy sends me but Lancaster's a good start
Posts: 97
Reputation: 1
Default

I must have scrolled this thread at least 5 times through now. Your army is absolutely stunning! I like your artwork too. I'm partial to the macabre [Bacon is a favorite of mine].

I'm almost ashamed that I havent repped you sooner, so have my measly portion :D


Zognutz Irongob's "Deff Skwod" Bloodaxes - My new baby

"To er is 'umie, to Waaaaaaagh! is devine."
Zognutz is offline  
post #725 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-26-11, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Arcticor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 945
Reputation: 4
Default

I'm really curious as to how you do the texturing effect on the last tank. specifically the lower right where you pointed out something about the paint? I've tried doing something like it but no luck. Looking forward to more posts! Still no Hive Tyrant..... *grumble grumble*
.
.
Oh, have some rep too.
Arcticor is offline  
post #726 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-28-11, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious
 
xenobiotic's Avatar
xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malmö
Posts: 864
Reputation: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Looking great buddy!The purple glow on the axe seems to get better and better every time you apply the technique.

Details are looking nice. Only critique so far is that the silver on the chest eagle is a little glaring. I know that this is WIP but it the only constructive criticism I could come up with at the moment.

I had to go back and find the original in the thread, back on page 56 for those wondering, and I must say that this is much better. Conveys a much better sense of movement. I also read my comment and even though it wasn't much, I am glad it prodded you in a direction that you like better. Looking forward to seeing these guys finished up.
You live and you learn. I'm finding painting glows are very difficult. I imaging they are easier to achieve with an airbrush (at least it looks easy on the tutorials on youtube, heh).

Indeed the silver was a bit to over the top, I adjusted it as I went along, obviously I had put that highlight on to thick and hastily.

It wasn't a harsh comment, just a mention, but it stuck with me and I felt the miniature could do a lot better and so it did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
Your Liby is coming along great Xeno and your assualt marine looks like a badass with that 2-handed chain axe.
Even if a 2-handed weapon is even more retarded in a universe where guns are always blazing they do look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arumichic View Post
Wait.......Seriously?
I was about to ask you to re-train me how to paint...and you're going off about feeling inadequate... >.<
Someone hand me a 2x4 now so I can smack xeno in the head please and get some sense back into him.

I think your stuff looks great. One little tiny thing is that your eagle looks a bit too bright in the gold department compared to the belt on the libby. But that's nitpicking.
I think it's a combination of overwork, not enough sleep and not enough time for the hobby. Then I get on Heresy and Warseer and see all these other great painters and modellers that achieve things to my standard or higher in a tempo I possibly cannot fathom and I feel.. Well inadequate by comparison. Not having time to try things out and develop messes up with your self-esteem sometimes.

And if you're serious about "training you" I'll do my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Sooo Finally caught up on this thread. Really liking the work! I am still really impressed about how the colour is very consistent through the whole army. I also am really impressed with how your white turned out. I rarely see white painted well so its very nice to see!

Keep up the good work! will def. be checking back more often!
Well, if you compare the first miniatures to the last ones the colour isn't all that consistent after all, but it doesn't show much on the table. I'm going to phase out those marines as I progress through my infantry though

Must have taken quite some time to go through the whole thread, it's huge by now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zognutz View Post
I must have scrolled this thread at least 5 times through now. Your army is absolutely stunning! I like your artwork too. I'm partial to the macabre [Bacon is a favorite of mine].

I'm almost ashamed that I havent repped you sooner, so have my measly portion :D
You obviously have to much time on your hands, hehe. Glad you like my work though and hopefully I've inspired you somehow. Personally I like Francisco de Goya and Zdzislaw Beksinski a lot, wish I had more time to do traditional art each time I look at their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticor View Post
I'm really curious as to how you do the texturing effect on the last tank. specifically the lower right where you pointed out something about the paint? I've tried doing something like it but no luck. Looking forward to more posts! Still no Hive Tyrant..... *grumble grumble*
Oh, have some rep too.
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to actually. Could you give me a more in depth description on what part of the pain tjob your referring to and I'll do my best to describe how I achieved it?

The tyrant is staring at me, it's base coloured and washed at the moment... Painting challenge has been forcing me to push it in front of me for now.

----

I've been able to spend some time painting my on my second Librarian this weekend. I've also spent quite a lot of time trying to sort out my warhammer collection (i.e. the pile of plastic) and I've thrown out 24 empty cardboard boxes (just think what their content has costed me, scary). Because of this I've realised that I really do need to put some time into finishing up what I already have before I go on any more stupid spending sprees (which I can now afford - damn). As it stands right now I have more than enough to last me for over another year...

Detailing is soon coming to an end on the Libby. Left shoulderpad is not done (that's why it looks undone ) and obviously some of the powernodes are supposed to be glowing. I've also yet to decide whether or not to add any more freehand details on the blue parts of the armour (perhaps a 4 somewhere and a little feather, we'll see):


I've also started on the staff. I've decided to take a little different route compared to what I had planned first, but I think it will work out superbly anyway (heavy WIP in this picture):


----

Till next time
xenobiotic is offline  
post #727 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-29-11, 04:57 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 972
Reputation: 1
Default

Yeah I do understand that. I sometimes get too demotivated to paint because I see awesome work floating out there on the net and feel like I shouldn't be painting. And then I feel bad because I have commissions that sometimes I feel I'm not doing very well, and two whole armies of mine to paint. I'm slowly trying to get there, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed. Mainly for me though is the ability to imagine things, but not have the ability to apply that onto the models. I mean I've been pretty good at art in general, but painting models is just a whole other story.

But yeah, any comments or critiques you have on any of my models or any other tips would be awesome. So far Midge and Djinn have been helping me a bit and it's been helping a LOT.

Anywho, enough about that. Love how the libby's coming around! Hope to see it done soon!~

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
arumichic is offline  
post #728 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-29-11, 05:52 AM
Junior Member
 
Kingfield's Avatar
Kingfield's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 29
Reputation: 1
Default

your librarian is looking great Xeno, thanks for reminding me I still need one for my own army
Kingfield is offline  
post #729 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-29-11, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious
 
xenobiotic's Avatar
xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malmö
Posts: 864
Reputation: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arumichic View Post
Yeah I do understand that. I sometimes get too demotivated to paint because I see awesome work floating out there on the net and feel like I shouldn't be painting. And then I feel bad because I have commissions that sometimes I feel I'm not doing very well, and two whole armies of mine to paint. I'm slowly trying to get there, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed. Mainly for me though is the ability to imagine things, but not have the ability to apply that onto the models. I mean I've been pretty good at art in general, but painting models is just a whole other story.

But yeah, any comments or critiques you have on any of my models or any other tips would be awesome. So far Midge and Djinn have been helping me a bit and it's been helping a LOT.

Anywho, enough about that. Love how the libby's coming around! Hope to see it done soon!~
Internet is both good and bad for your motivation. It's all about channelling it and doing the best of the situation I guess.

I'll make sure to comment your projects in the future as you progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfield View Post
your librarian is looking great Xeno, thanks for reminding me I still need one for my own army
Well, I'm happy to be your personal reminder ;)

----

Got some work done on the staff (as well as the backpack but I'm not going to show you that just yet). Still have all the tiny highlights to do on the handle, the ones that are there now are just trial runs. I'm also considering doing some brass oxidation on the gold parts but keeping it light. All in all I think I'll be able to finish the libby by the deadline on friday


Till next time
xenobiotic is offline  
post #730 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-30-11, 12:41 AM
Unfinished Project King
 
Midge913's Avatar
Midge913's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 7,409
Reputation: 9
Default

Looks really nice Xeno! The diamond pattern on the shaft of the stave stands out really well and looks awesome! Good work bud!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
Midge913 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome