Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 71 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #701 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 12:10 AM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

loving the pose and scenic base on the contemptor, and I really like the blue scheme.

Rev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 12:11 AM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

*edit* double post, sorry

Rev
post #703 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 12:56 AM
Slave to the Brush

InkedDnA's Flag is: USA

That contemptor is awesome. I can't wait to see the modifications you add to make em look less "plain"

"YOU CAN DO IT! CUT HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF!"

post #704 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 01:34 AM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

post #705 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 02:16 AM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

Just out of curiosity, how do you prime your models? Because the contemptor's arms and head aren't primed (but I'm sure you know that).

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #706 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 04:27 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking great so far buddy! I knew you weren't going to be able to resist him once it was assembled

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #707 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
loving the pose and scenic base on the contemptor, and I really like the blue scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
*edit* double post, sorry
No worries, you where just eager :D
Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thswasi View Post
That contemptor is awesome. I can't wait to see the modifications you add to make em look less "plain"
Won't be any modifications on this one, unless you count the peculiar colour scheme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordKaptainGrishnak View Post
Contemptor is looking promising Xeno keep it up mate
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you prime your models? Because the contemptor's arms and head aren't primed (but I'm sure you know that).
I usually only give them a coat of a foundation paint or chaos black. And I have a tendency to remove parts that are magnetized as I work meaning that sometimes they don't get any paint on them till later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Looking great so far buddy! I knew you weren't going to be able to resist him once it was assembled
You know to much!

----

Dark pictures, I know, but it's a dark colour-scheme lacking highlights and details on most of it. I do however think you get a better idea of the supposed scheme at this point. Obviously I have a lot of work left to do. I'm starting to get worried about the blue sections. Since the black will be filled with pink/purple starpatterns I might need something to fill out the blue parts with as well but I'm not sure on what just yet.

Also I'm considering doing an homage to the rogue trader/2nd edition era by painting the fingers brightly red, like I did with the bolter casing on the test miniature sergeant here:

Ideas?

----

Till next time
post #708 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-13-11, 11:24 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

"I'm starting to get worried about the blue sections. Since the black will be filled with pink/purple starpatterns I might need something to fill out the blue parts with as well but I'm not sure on what just yet."

Time to start practicing painting shark shadows haha. Deep sea patterns on half, outer space on the other. Maybe throw some nice little starfish on him too XD. Nah I do think shark stuff would be neat though, since you seem to be able to paint birds well.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the contemptor dread model (I dont mean yours specifically, I mean I dont like the look of them in general), but perhaps you can make at least one that I like the look of. We shall see!

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

Last edited by unxpekted22; 08-13-11 at 11:27 PM.
post #709 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-14-11, 05:24 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I am not sure about the red on the fingers mate. It works well on the bolter due to the fact that it is a totally separate piece on the Marine. It is obviously not part of his body, and there for the sharp contrasting color does a great job of drawing the eye and breaking up the focus. On the fingers of the dread however, they are part of the same structure and as such I think that painting them red might be to garish and distracting. I think that you might be better off using the lighter grey/blue that you used on the Marine's facemask to break up the overall dark tone of the piece. It will provide the contrast that you desire while still keeping with the overall color pallet.

The other thing that I wanted to mention is that the blue on the dread is not quite as bright in tone as the blue on the marine. In the case of the dread you are not getting the contrast between the two halves that you do on the marine model, and in that case I think that the contrast between the lighter blue and the black is what makes the color scheme so striking. On the dread both halves of the scheme are very dark and as such you are losing some of the distinction that makes the scheme work so well on the Marine.

Just my two cents.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Last edited by Midge913; 08-14-11 at 05:27 AM.
post #710 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-14-11, 08:14 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

Yeah, the pink/purple parts on the powerfist might not fit the realism part of the model. It depends on if you plan to use that color to represent power weapons across the board? Those are the parts that make the knuckles when the hand is closed into a fist, right? The ridges are the impact surface in a punch. So, I would think they either need to look rough and damaged from punching through armor or encased in an aura of glowing power.

If the pink represents the power aura of the PF, then once the armor plates are done, you'll need some reflected light on the surrounding plates.

The color scheme looks amazing and as always you have an accurate and smooth touch to your surfaces.

Can you briefly talk about how to get a smooth surface on the primed areas, or redirect me to to a section that talks about this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode