Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 51 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #501 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-06-11, 07:18 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Melta marine looks very good. Look forward to see what you do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-09-11, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Hi, again all!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Its good to see some red again. As always the white is amazing, as is the highlighting of the red. What really catches me though is the meltagun. You picked out every detail and made it noticeable. Nice job on that! The smaller details everywhere are nicely done as well. You seem to have a flair for unnecessary details that you don't have to do but add a level of mastery to the model that says "experienced painter"
I cant wait to see the whole squad together. Keep it up! And good luck with finals and your job. I hope your mom ends up ok.
It's good to be painting red again, but I'm going to be changing it up a bit from now on (I have grand plans, I think). I do think that it's the minor details that makes the finish of a miniature, scratches and dirt and such tends to make it all go together in harmony.

Thanks, my mother is already doing a lot better, hopefully she'll be able to reach full capacity again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinius noob View Post
good to see an update!

the red you've got going at the moment is amazing, a really full deep red, wish mine looked like that..

keep it up mate!
It's dark, but it's growing on me. A lot of other painters are doing brighter reds so it helps to differentiate a bit from all of the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
A doctor eh? At least I know you'd be good with a scalpel or maybe its because you're good with a scalpel that you're good with the brush...

The kill count detail is sweet. All my attempts at that in the past have been kind of bad. Big fat white marks... I'll have to try it again sometime.
Yepp, a medical doctor, but I'm leaning towards specializing as a shrink when time comes to make a decision. Probably about 3 years till it's time to choose though!

I don't think you did such a bad job on your raider. The only thing I try to keep in mind with such details is that I like to keep them in a place where the gunner could reach them easily (so that they can put more marks on without to much of a fuss. I'd like to imagine my meltagunner just dragging some soot of the meltagun and drawing a line on the wristguard when there's a lull in the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Nice looking piece Xeno and I am glad to see that you got a few moments to put brush to model. I really like all the little freehand details that you have added, gives the model a lot of individuality!

Good luck with your Doctor stuff!
Painting is slow, I'm much more of a minor converter I guess. I'm always leaning towards converting. Probably finish about 3-5 miniature conversions for every marine I paint at the current rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer49 View Post
Melta marine looks very good. Look forward to see what you do next.
Next? More conversions!

----

Update:
Well, since I did bought the Sevrin Loth miniature with Honour Guards I figured I might as well put it to use. I know I can paint librarians now so that won't be a problem.

Most of Sevrin is put together from the get go. His axe is pretty puny and realistic compared to other warhammer miniatures so it had to go if he was to look like he belonged in the army. The left arm was used in my previous Librarian conversion meaning I had to find 2 new arms. The more I went back and forth with Sevrin I realised I really don't like his pose all that much. It's pretty stale and boring (to be honest) even if the details are superb (as they often are with FW miniatures). Anyway...

Having bought the GK kits I had some bits to play with, trying out a few combinations and coming up with something. After over a year working with this project I figured I'd actually start DRY FITTING my miniatures with blue tac meaning I could easily change things back and forth till I was satisfied.

Now, as you see I settled on the Warding Staff arm (I like the handle) combined with an Angelus pattern bolt gun (which will be acting as a bolt pistol in game). I'm not using any Sanguinary Guards so there won't be any doubt about what it is.

I'm considering maybe changing the top of the staff into the Honour Guard Axe Blade (like I did on the other miniature) but then again I like that this foot slogging Librarian has a more defensive pose meaning I might save the power axe for later (when I need another Jumper Librarian) to keep some kind of theme for them.

C&C welcomed if you have any.

Other than this miniature I'm planning conversions for an Honour Guards Squad (5-man), to accompany the foot slogger, using a combination of normal marine pieces and GK pieces. I also have some plans for Terminators using GK terminator pieces with slight modifications. More on them asap.

----

Till next time!
post #503 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-09-11, 06:32 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Glad about your mom.
Hmmm... the axe has an appeal for similarity, but this one looks more magical that combative. Its nicely different from the other one. The boltgun is nice too. A not of interest what are you painting on his shoulder pad? Are you giving him his own symbol? do you know what the writing on the legs says? Alltogether I really do like him though.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

post #504 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-09-11, 06:52 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

It's a nice Libby and I like the staff You have chosen. But the way he holds the bolter look a little off to me. If the arm just was straight down the side, pointing towards the ground ? Anyway I'm looking forward to see him painted. Any pink power-waves around the skull ?

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #505 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-09-11, 07:01 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I really like him Xeno! I think that you should stick with the Stave instead of the axe. As you already his on this one is much less aggressive in his posture than your previous Libby, and it just seems to fit to me. Can't wait to see some paint on him!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #506 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-10-11, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Painting Update: Brethren of the Phoenix - Honour Guards, part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Glad about your mom.
Hmmm... the axe has an appeal for similarity, but this one looks more magical that combative. Its nicely different from the other one. The boltgun is nice too. A not of interest what are you painting on his shoulder pad? Are you giving him his own symbol? do you know what the writing on the legs says? Alltogether I really do like him though.
I'm leaning towards keeping the axes for jump pack librarians (of which I will have 2) and leaving staves and the likes for the librarians walking on the ground/riding transports (of which I will have 2).

Feather freehand on the left shoulder pad (in the circle). There are lots of room for individuality on the other details he has (book, staff, scrolls and so on). I'm not sure what the writing on the legs are supposed to say, might have something to do with the original Sevrin Loth miniature, I haven't read his background story very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
It's a nice Libby and I like the staff You have chosen. But the way he holds the bolter look a little off to me. If the arm just was straight down the side, pointing towards the ground ? Anyway I'm looking forward to see him painted. Any pink power-waves around the skull ?
I tried using a bolt pistol or infernus pistol held straight down but it looked odd. His leg is at and odd shape and kind of ruins any weapon dangling down the side. I'll tweak the position of this arm a bit when I actually put him together but I'm going for the "I'm overlooking the battlefield and I'm about to grab the staff with both hands for some psychic power kick-ass action!"

And, yes, the skulls on the staff will most likely be done in a glowing pink (with gold details on the rest of the top of the staff). I think it will look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I really like him Xeno! I think that you should stick with the Stave instead of the axe. As you already his on this one is much less aggressive in his posture than your previous Libby, and it just seems to fit to me. Can't wait to see some paint on him!
Yes, it's one of the best equipment replacements I could find for him (and I tried a lot of them in my head). The miniature has a passive "overwatch" stance about him and I think this combination puts emphasis on that. As soon as I tweak the kinks and do an actual fitting without loads of Bluetac it will most likely come together nicely!

----

Update:
I spent some time with the Honour Guards today seeing as I only have one member left for the squad I want to finish them up. I had done about half of the steps on the red armour on him so I completed that. Now it's just detailing left on the armour and then it's time for the lacking body parts (head and arms) before I'll finish up the bases on everyone. I expect to squeeze in another WIP update on this guy before the squad is completed sometimes next week hopefully. On the painting challenge squad I've done the base layers and the first wash, slowly moving on to the highlights (going to take a while with 5 marines at once).

Current status:

And the whole squad together:

All this talk about Librarians have got me thinking about using a bit more blue in the future (since I managed to get a shade I liked a lot when experimenting). What about using it on a vehicle or two? I foresee the individuality level growing in my army very soon...

----

Till next time
post #507 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-10-11, 06:34 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

The Honor Guard is looking great buddy! I like that you have done scenic bases with removable 28mm bases for game play. Every time I see that Sang Priest I am so thoroughly impressed with the pose and the paint job. The whole squad just looks fantastic. Have you decided on weapon load-out for the new guy?

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #508 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-10-11, 01:05 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

The squad is looking very good. The scenic bases look like there going to be great when there finished.
post #509 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-10-11, 03:07 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Dammit everytime i look at this plog there are new pieces of awesome. I'm running out of platitudes to throw your way dude and i don't like repeating myself.
On the one hand the horrid Jealouse side of me hates you but on the other side the artistic appreciation gene kicks in and says "these are awesome". Just when i've decided that i'll let hater Grimzag win out, you give awesome advice or are really friendly. Damnit!!!
It's like Aldus Snow from forgetting Sarah Marshal.

I think you should do a badly modelled/painted model next just to make the rest of us feel better.

Last edited by GrimzagGorwazza; 04-10-11 at 03:10 PM.
post #510 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-10-11, 05:05 PM

Wow. I just finished reading through all 50ish pages of this, all your work is absolutely astounding! I just have 2 questions. You mention using grey stuff and green stuff throughout this, ive heard of green stuff. But what is grey stuff? Also, where can i find this 'green goo' paint remover stuff? Looking forward to seeing more pictures :D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode