Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-10-10, 10:26 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was just thinking yesterday i wonder what happened to this log. Excellent progress and i can't wait to see those sternguards painted up. Awesome stuff

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-12-10, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Forge World vehicle restoration

Thank you, guys! It's good to know you didn't completely forget about me! I'll try to keep a more even tempo from now on.

Waiting to see how your assault marines progress aswell, Varakir ;)

----

I think most W40k gamers have some miniatures from Forge World they adore and would like to include in their collection. For me it's mostly from the Elysian and Imperial Navy collection (although I like many of their vehicles, such as the Medusa). One piece of resin machinery has however always been my absolute favorite - the SoB Repressor.

So when looking through Ebay for the occasional bargain I finally stumbled upon this:

And I managed to win the auction for less than the price of the upgradekit (in effect getting a free rhino!). I prepared myself for the worst and awaited it's arrival.

When I opened up the packaged I noticed it was just as bad as I had expected. We're talking gap filling with superglue, bent and crooked resin parts having been glued on with almost no flash cleaning at all. But there where upsides aswell, not mentioned in the description of the item was the extra armor resin pieces aswell as the rear door rhino resin piece (with the imperial eagle). Bonus items in my cheap bargain!

I spent a total of 5 days, removed the sponsons (why they where on there in the first place I don't know) stripping it down, removing old glue, glueing the pieces back again and fixing the armor green stuff. These pictures where taken in the "pre-re-riveting" stage:

After that I proceeded to put rivets where I had been forced to cut them of to be able to repair the resin/armor damage from when I had to take it apart. All I can say is - Thank God for Battle Damage (since it saved me the hassle of trying to make it "as new"). So here are some pictures of the Repressor in its current state of painting, which I think proves what you can do with a kit in pretty bad shape:

I will most likely be using it as a counts as Rhino for my Sternguards (have to use this gorgeous vehicle) even though it has a higher profile and since is easier to hit with the current LoS-rules.

Any suggestions on what kind of free-hand I should aim for on this one would be most welcome. I was considering doing many smaller "moon" images with one larger (similar to the razorback PIP I showed earlier). Or should I do another one with flowing fabric? Perhaps both? Something completely different and mind blowing? The options are endless

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #43 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-12-10, 04:28 AM
b00ml3gsh0t1988's Flag is: USA

Hello there, i'm new to this forum but have been on several others looking for inspiration into Blood angels or any form of angelic models, your's by far have been the best, i was was wondering if you would put some step by step guides up as to how you A. got the beaks done on the Sternguard Veterans, B. the hand on the captain tycho replacement, i will be watching your thread with keen eyes!

post #44 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-12-10, 03:35 PM

ownzu's Flag is: United Kingdom

absolutely stunning, loving the freehand on the dread and rhino
post #45 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 12:03 AM

ClassyRaptor's Flag is: Australia

Very, Very nice work you have here mate. Keep it up and get those Sternguard done. +Rep
post #46 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 03:15 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

ive forgotten how awesome this tread is...its making wanna spend time on actually finishing what i have (still no where close) been too focused on playing lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #47 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Thank you for all the encouragement, it helps to keep my motivation from lagging behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ml3gsh0t1988 View Post
A. got the beaks done on the Sternguard Veterans
B. the hand on the captain tycho replacement, i will be watching your thread with keen eyes!
Since I'm an odd person I'll start with B and post A when I've gotten around to fisnish of the next batch of helmets (I might even include a tutorial with many different helmets as base). It's a fairly straight forward thing I came up with in the middle of the conversion, worked out ok I think - yet my green stuff skills are still quite noobish (working up the courage however).

Dead Man's Hand Tutorial: (free with blurry pictures )

Supplies needed: Sharp Scalpel, Plasticard Rods (2 appropriate sizes, available from ebay stores among others), sculpting tools (I use clay shapers, they are amazing!), glue, green stuff (or similar putty), a base hand (my hand being based on a ghould hand I'm using one for the tutorial aswell).

Cut a few pieces of rod from each of the two different sizes using the scalpel. You'll want them thin (thinner than in this picture actually) cause otherwise it will look bulky on the hand later on.

Glue the bigger rod slices on the knuckles of the hand on each finger.

Glue the smaller rod slices on the middle joint of the fingers (apart from the thumb, it doesn't need one (it doesn't fit on the small hand).

Depending on how much of the hand you want to show you can make another mechanical joint such as this.

Add greenstuff to the back of the hand.

Use a sutible tool to make impressions in the greenstuff to make it look like mechanical parts connecting to the pieces of plasticard you just added. You only need to achieve roughly the shape you want at this stage.
Let the greenstuff harden a bit (30-45 min or so) and then push it around to make the final effect. Let the greenstuff harden.

You can then cut this hand off and pin it to any arm you like (preferebly one with alot of armor unless you want to sculpt more mechanical parts). If you want you can add some "ribbing" (or what ever the "rubber part" between the plates of the power armor is called) to the hand (like I did on my Tycho).

Hope this helps somewhat.

On the painting side I've started with Tychos armor, giving him alot more time than the average marines, hopefully it shows on this WIP, the red parts are mostly done (not the backpack, I know) :

Till next time I'll make sure I have a beakie tutorial for you!
C&C always appreciated and considered when moving on with this project.

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #48 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-19-10, 03:51 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Fantastic work ... I got no skills with greenstuff. I also am quite jealous of the rhino. Looks good. Keep it up so I can steal more ideas from you.
post #49 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-19-10, 10:59 AM

stuff's Flag is: Scotland

haven't looked through this project log until now.. and that is a great shame for me! i really like your rhinos and the "Brother-Codicier Faustus, the Lucky" model is the coolest thing i have seen in a while!

+rep!!
post #50 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-20-10, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

I have a deadline to try to achiece with my painting, so I took up my razorback once more and doodled a bit to keep myself up late at night so that I'll sleep at work tomorrow (not recommended). Freehanding is alot of fun once you get going and figure the concept out. I might even have something for my repressor now (Thank you, Mr Hubble!).

I'll leave you with this teaser:

More to come.

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling, as usual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode