Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 47 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #461 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 01:03 AM

Warpetrie's Flag is: USA

thoughts? Cant wait for it to be completed! ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 04:35 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Ditto^

How did you learn highlighting and stuff? I always find that really hard because it just is... and the fact that theyre so small doesnt help. Amazing job with both the honor guard and the libby, i cannot wait until he and the squad are done.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #463 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 05:18 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looks great Xeno! I love the tonal quality of the armor nice, deep, and rich. Can't wait to see it finished.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #464 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 10:59 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

Yeah the blue on that Librarian is looking ridiculously good. A tutorial may be required.
post #465 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Painting Update: Brethren of the Phoenix - Librarian pt 2

PROGRESS!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
I'm ashamed to say I havn't checked this for a while, however, I am throughly impressed by what I see. I don't think anyone I know can weather models quite like you can xeno. Keep up the great work.

Oh and have some rep ;)
You've missed so much in your absence and promotion and birthday and Christmas and all. My Baal Predator to start with (my pride and joy!). Always looking for input from you LTP, I'll be sure to swing by your log now that you're painting again (love the achilles miniature).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpetrie View Post
thoughts? Cant wait for it to be completed! ^_^
Soon™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Ditto^

How did you learn highlighting and stuff? I always find that really hard because it just is... and the fact that theyre so small doesnt help. Amazing job with both the honor guard and the libby, i cannot wait until he and the squad are done.
Hm, what can I say? It's a combination of trial and error with input from forums (mostly Heresy) and tutorials (books and internet) and add some colour theory.

I might be able to show you the basics in the coming tutorial (at least how I do it step by step). It takes a lot of time and it's fiddly - a good paintbrush helps a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Looks great Xeno! I love the tonal quality of the armor nice, deep, and rich. Can't wait to see it finished.
It's a very similar process to the one I've developed on the red armour, turned out very well if I'm allowed to be a little... Euhm, I forgot the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamodai View Post
Yeah the blue on that Librarian is looking ridiculously good. A tutorial may be required.
I've been asked about a tutorial from a some people now so I will make one as soon as I've started painting the jump pack - I think it has surfaces and edges enough to be a good and easy subject for a step-by-step.

----

The main body is basically finished now. Moving on to the other parts asap:

It's been a lot of experimenting with colours. First time for a long time since I used gold colours but I think it works very well with blue giving it a much needed warmth contrast. The claw on the right shin armour is an original detail on the miniature which I've decided to keep and add to my list of fluff groups and societies within the chapter (ref: Twin-feathers). The other shin has the characteristic number 4 which all the Mk 6 armour have.

Euhm.. I think that's about it for now!

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 03-15-11 at 03:03 AM.
post #466 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Deep Blue Armour Tutorial

Tutorial for your pleasure:
Blue armour on librarian. There are some colour theory thinking involved in the concept (whether it's right or wrong I can't really say since I'm not an expert on the subject) but all in all a fair bit of experimentation also.

There's a little background to the idea which came to me as I proceeded with painting my red marines. I started to adjust the way I painted red, slowly tweaking it. I wanted a darker red from the get go which was why I decided to rely heavily on Mechrite Red. I initially darkened it with a Devlan Mud wash and then proceeded to highlight it with Blood Red only and did so via dry-brushing. I have since come to rely less on dry-brushing and more on glazing when applying highlights (which I'll hopefully be able to convey in this tutorial).

I wanted the highlights to be more prominent so I scoured the internet to see what others had come up with. The combination of Blood Red, Blazing Orange and Vomit Brown was settled upon after a while. However there was a quality to the final highlight of Vomit Brown that stuck out to me and I wanted to bring it down. That was when I decided to was the entire miniatures with Baal Red wash, this proved to tie all the colours of the highlight together and gave it a rich varied tone which I've loved since.

When approaching the blue colour I decided to take a similar approach:
  1. Use a dark (primary colour) base
  2. Wash it to deepen recesses and hint a colour variation
  3. Highlight 1
  4. Highlight 2
  5. Highlight 3
  6. Wash with origin colour wash (red wash for a red base, blue wash for blue base and so on) to soften the highlights together
It was just a matter of choosing the colours I wanted and trying it out.

Deep blue armour:
Start with your usual primer procedure (whatever it may be). I have a tendancy to use my watered down foundation colours as "priming" mostly since I dislike having to spray (never ends well for me) and I find they grip quite well to the miniatures and after 2-3 layers they have a good coverage.

Step 1:
Necron Abyss - watered down to a nice consistency. Might need 2 layers to get a good coverage.

Step 2:
Wash with Thraka Green. I understand if you're scratching your head a bit about this choice of colour. Many Blue colours has a tendancy to lean towards red (becoming "warm", giving it a purple hue). I want this armour to go towards a nice "cold" armour to put other "warmer" elements/colours on top of to create contrast and visually interesting effects (gold details for example). A hint of green darkens the blue without disturbing the temperature of the colour as much as a red wash would, it also makes it more rich then just washing it with Asurmen Blue.

The rest of my army is very "warm" so a character with a contrasting colour palette will look better amongst them!

Step 3:
Broad glazed highlight with Regal Blue. You might not have thought about it but Regal Blue leans towards green (turqoise) which is why I've chosen it over Ultramarine Blue (which has a purple element).

Step 4:
Slightly thinner glazed highlight with Enchanted Blue.

Step 5:
Thinly glazed highlight with Ice Blue. Some of you might have thought the next step would be Hawk Turquoise here, but that colour is in fact TOO turquoise, making the entire appearance of the armour shifting towards Turquoise which isn't what I'm after. I'm trying to get a deep blue with a green hint!

Step 6:
Wash entire armour with Asurmen Blue. This is a very important step since it ties all the highlights together and give them a rich palette and gradient which looks good.

See you soon

Last edited by xenobiotic; 03-16-11 at 04:20 PM.
post #467 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 05:35 AM

I have to say, even though you weren't planning to do this model right now, I'm glad you are. I had been wanting to see this one painted when I saw the model you had come up with.
post #468 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 05:35 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Good looking stuff as always Xeno, and great tutorial!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #469 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 07:18 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I've been watching this log for a while and hot dam I'm floored every time you make an update. Your ability with a brush is staggering - better than many Golden Deamons. It was primarily because of you and IlikeBMX's over on Warseer that got back into painting SM's again.

Again amazing, I can't say it enough.
post #470 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-16-11, 04:52 PM
Craw-Daddy

Wow man. Nice work, you've actually taken time to write your armies progress. Thats a lot of work. I think you may have just motivated me to get to my painting. lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode