Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 1276 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default First Troop Choice Completed

First of all, thanks for all the comments and kind words (I usually forget to say thank you, so time to remedy that mistake!). They keep me going when I slow down, as I inevitably do.

The production line paid of, here's a few dreadnoughts ready for painting (they all lack only a few small plasticard pieces to make the magna grapples).

The top one, as you can see, has a choice between weapons: Blood fists x 2 or Frag Cannon + Blood Fists. I stole the frag cannon idea from Ancient God over at warseer (Check his Blood Angel army out here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256215)
He also has two "fists", the right one converted out of a left hand fist (pretty easy conversion when you actually sit down and plan ahead - something I usually don't do).

The bottom ones are my soon to be Death Company Dreadnoughts (with a fitting amount of battledamage to simulate the "None can stay my wrath"). They will most likely be painted in a white scheme (which I consider to do all my Death Company figures in).

Also, all close combat weapons are interchangeble between arms so I can change the tips between any dread in any combination if I want to. This is mostly in anticipation to whenever I get around to make about 5 pairs of Blood Talons.

Anyway, enough typing, here they are:

Finally finished the first troop choice (10-man assault marine squad):

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Some spelling errors corrected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1276 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 01:12 AM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Looking really good man, I've got a couple suggestions though (excuse any incoherencies in this post, quite tired lol)

While I think the red and the white are both fantastically done, seeing the squad together I can't help but think they look a bit bland. I think if you painted the chest eagles a different colour (silver, gold, even white) I think it would break up the model and make them look a little sexier.

I'd recommend changing the wax colour of your purity seals to something else (Green is always a good choice, purple looks really good too) This will add just another elemnt of colour.

I think the various skulls on the models (the sergeant's back pole, heads, on the backpacks, hands, anywhere with a skull that's not conncted to the chest eagle really lol.) Would look better in another colour, bone is a wise choice and should look very nice.

I'd like to see some scroll work on those purity seals. After all, they haven't been awarded for nothing

You may want to consider painting the belts a brown colour to further break up the mass red. Or if not, I'd at least suggest painting the buckles silver.

I hope this post doesn't seem too negative, I really like these guys, I do. I Just think with a little extra detail they would be that much more impressive.

Cheers

Reaper

post #33 of 1276 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 01:24 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Agree with mr reaper on all points. The paint on the squad looks excellent, but as a unit they seem bland and unfinished, especially compared to the standards you've set with your rhinos and dread.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #34 of 1276 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper View Post
I hope this post doesn't seem too negative, I really like these guys, I do. I Just think with a little extra detail they would be that much more impressive.
Quite the opposite, since you nailed something I've been considering for a while but didn't do. But now I have this whole unit complete infront of me and I can play around a bit with them and see what I can achieve to make them better.

I did a few blood drops in purple on my sanguinary priest model and when I did that I was thinking about maybe making the wax on the purity seals in purple aswell(?). I'm not to keen on including to much green in the scheme, mostly since I think it suits a bright red armor better (guess the best way to go about is to try both out and see what looks best). Then again complementary colours suggests I'm wrong:

And yeh, some scribble and tiny freehands on the purity scrolls will be added down the line - I'm just not trusting my ability for that just yet (I'm denying the fact that I have to start somewhere to learn, lol).

Edit:
After looking through the codex and successor chapters and considering where I want to go with my death company I'm going to try out a black chest eagle and see where that takes me. Follow that up with another highligt on the red and then I'll move on with bibs and bobs (skulls, metal parts and so on). I'll see what I can manage tomorrow and where it ends up.

Last edited by xenobiotic; 05-17-10 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Added a sentence.
post #35 of 1276 (permalink) Old 05-17-10, 08:16 AM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Sounds like a plan

And though the colour wheel may suggest otherwise, colours close to the origional on the chart can look really nice when they are used in small amounts.

As far as the scroll work goes I sugest picking up a micron .005 Black pen. Then you can simply draw some thin lines on the parchment to represent text.

Out of curiosity, are you going with black or white with the death company???

Keep up the good work

post #36 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Hm, borderline thread necromancy? Perhaps one should not dabble with forbidden magic?

A long hiatus from this plog. Life keept throwing the odd up and down at me. In the last 2 months I've been finishing this semesters exam, started on what might become my big "hand-in" for next year (which will save me 10 weeks in the spring to do other stuff ) aswell as started my internship for the summer. I have however not been totaly inactive so expect a few updates after this one as I sort out what I have been up to.

On to the the W40k side of life. I've taken the comments given by you to heart and tweaked my assault squad (and sanguinary priest) a bit, when comparing them to the old pictures the difference jumps out from the screen (I was getting blind, thought they looked almost exactly the same at first till I went to this log and looked at the first pictures). I've learned a few things from this experience which I think will carry on to the rest of the army as I proceed. Some minor tweaks left (as always) and basing ofcourse.

Old version on left hand side - New version on right hand side:

That's it for now, just a quick update. I'll return shortly with some other goodies that I've been working on, just need to take some good pictures and get my laptop to work with me and not against me (stationary computer being broken atm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Reaper
Out of curiosity, are you going with black or white with the death company???
They will eventually become white, not a top priority squad to finish however.

C&C always welcome!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:49 PM.
post #37 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 11:22 PM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Good work and remember just have fun with it.
post #38 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Default Sternguards and HQ.

Thanks, Talthewicked!

"[...] to boldly go where no man has gone before!" - An obvious lie in this case since many people have made their version of Sternguard Veterans. However that didn't put my spirit down so I thought I'd do my take on them (mostly since I have a huge bit-box with space marine parts at hand).

This also gives me a unit with alot of character and flavour. So I decided to write up some fluff and name each individual squad member. More on that later on as I paint them. For now you'll have to do with a squad pic of unpainted marines (with every named marine present yet 2 are missing - "12 marines in a squad?" You might be thinking, you'll get where I'm going with this soon enough).

Keen eyed readers can look for parts from the following boxes in the pictures:
- Space Marine Commander Box
- Space Marine Tactical Squad Box
- Space Marine Assault Terminators Box
- Space Marine Devastator Squad Box
- Space Marine Command Squad Box
- Space Marine Techmarine with Servitors Box
- Space Marine Rhino Box
- Forge World Red Scorpions Shoulder Pad Bag
- Dark Angels Veterans Box
- Blood Angels Death Company Box
- Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard Box
- Chaos Space Marines Box
- Necron Warriors Box

I've also been working on a replacement for the previous HQ-choice I made (not to keen on how that librarian turned out) and having looked through the Codex yet again I came up with some ideas.

I decided to make the perfect leader for a squad of sternguards (the one just above) and get a pretty well balanced (compared to the other BA characters) HQ-choice. I present my version of Tycho, soon to come with own fluff for my successor chapter (more on that later). I wont bore you with how many kits his plastic pieces came from

Brother-Captain Vespillo (Counts as Captain Tycho):

Brother-Codicier Faustus, the Lucky:

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added another box to the list.
post #39 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-10-10, 12:30 AM
LiamDawson27's Flag is: Australia

All of your models are amazing. I really like the sanguinary priest!

Tau Ksi'm'yen
0/0/0
post #40 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-10-10, 10:14 AM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

That Librarian looks like the shit. Looking forward to seeing him finished.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode