Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 37 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 08:49 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Amazing job on the bird i like the extensions on it. Whatever heads you want should work fine. Anyway, i was looking through my personal Black Library (containing our 3rd gen codexs/rulebook + fluff books) at the BA ones in particular. I read in Red Fury (by James Swallow) that the Angels Sangiune never show their faces: they always wear helmets in presence of others, to a man. Are you going to do something like this with you sharks? Was that your inspiration? Nice work as always, +rep if i can

*Edit* vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xenobiotic again.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I like it. It definitely looks finished as far as the freehand goes so I wouldn't worry too much fiddling about with it. The wings down the sides and the tail down the back are really nice. Excellent work buddy!
Weathering will balance a lot of the minor issues out - I'm very thankfull I started to dabble with that right now otherwise it would have been hell to get it finished tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
Changing the consept as you go? It was a bad plan then? (yes I am kidding)

Looks wery good man, you managed to make it look even better than I had thought, good job!
You are a very angry man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
I think the Cadian helmets would look awesome... Just as long as it's not the scout head... They're aweful and make the scouts look like hunchbacks...
Compared to many other heads GW have done the scout heads are probably the at least amongst the worst. I also dislike the fact that they'd throw recruits into warfare without even the option to have helmets on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Amazing job on the bird i like the extensions on it. Whatever heads you want should work fine. Anyway, i was looking through my personal Black Library (containing our 3rd gen codexs/rulebook + fluff books) at the BA ones in particular. I read in Red Fury (by James Swallow) that the Angels Sangiune never show their faces: they always wear helmets in presence of others, to a man. Are you going to do something like this with you sharks? Was that your inspiration? Nice work as always, +rep if i can

*Edit* vBulletin Message
Actually I have a very firm idea of what they would look like without helmets (since they are related to raven guard and charcharodons they'd have pale skins with very dark eyes (even black eyes on some of the oldest marines)). The reason I want to portrait them with helmets on is that I want them to represent a boarding party fighting in low/no oxygen and/or gravity environments. There is a particular mission you can play in IA9 that portraits such a boarding action (there are even rules for what happens should there be a hullbreach as you fight). You can't walk around without a helmet there even if you're a kickass scout so I figure they'd have the equipment.

Another reason for it would be the chapter themselves living up to the rumour of being "Spectres". In order to keep the aura of mystery around them they communicate on encrypted lines and add to that fact that their helmets are on at all time and they'll simply look like huge ghosts walking around in silence as they fight with utmost devastation to the enemy.

Another reasons is quite simply the challenge to create them. It's going to be fun to try to sculpt cloaks since last time I tried I was an utter green stuff noob and it went horribly wrong.

----

I was hoping to get more done on the predator today (I was hoping to finish it actually) but it took me AGES to do the highlights on the black parts. This is where it stands at the moment. I've started to weather it, done some dust effects on the bottom and some paint chipping. Tomorrow I'll be adding metallic weathering, smoke stack ash, finish of the lenses and the lamps as well as doing the final "mud" cover to tie it together with the other vehicles better.

I'll also add a short fluff piece to go with the vehicle in tomorrows post.

----

Till next time!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 01-31-11 at 12:04 AM.
post #363 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 01:15 AM
So be it.

Ok then that makes sense. Nice job on the Tank yet again I love how it phases up and out. Has it just been ideas so far? Not much actual modeling on your spectres? Anyway love where youre going with this it looks really good and keep having fun with it!
-JAMOB

Quote:

post #364 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 01:17 AM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

As always, I'm blown away by your free hand painting.

Any chances of a tutorial at some point? I'd love to be able to do half of that haha.

Top marks, mate

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #365 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Hi again!

----

Quote:
Ok then that makes sense. Nice job on the Tank yet again I love how it phases up and out. Has it just been ideas so far? Not much actual modeling on your spectres? Anyway love where youre going with this it looks really good and keep having fun with it!
-JAMOB
No actual modelling apart from the sergeant and a few tactical marines. Just been doing a couple of legs and some bases on my spare time when I've had pieces of greenstuff over from other projects. Been gathering pieces for the first squad and I've ordered most of the things I need to produce the scouts (hopefully). Other then that I've been eyeing through the codex looking for nice units, upgrades and concepts, trying to tweak out an armylist to work towards (I feel I need a more definite goal with this army compared to my Brethren which are truly a more ongoing "never ending" project). Sometimes it's good to keep eyeing as much as possible and see what sticks out (sometimes you get your craziest, but coolest, ideas when you do things like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc View Post
As always, I'm blown away by your free hand painting.

Any chances of a tutorial at some point? I'd love to be able to do half of that haha.

Top marks, mate
I did a tiny walkthrough example when I did my Death Company Rhino, is that enough of would you like a more extended example? I could try to do something as I do my next vehicle if you'd like. And if there's something in particular you're after it'd help to know what you're interested in knowing/seeing.

----

Some of you might remember Battle-Brother Otho, or at least one of the stories of his heroism which this particular Baal Predator held a key roll in.

There was fire on the horizon as the angels of death descended upon our planet in a desperate attempt to save the sanctum from the daemons. Our defences close to failure. Our chances where slim for survival and the daemons had our lives within their deadly grasp. But just as our hope had begun to flicker a red hailstorm spread out across our position which then shattered into hundreds of warriors in shining armour with death as their liaison. Valiantly they fought the forces of Chaos and managed to repel a large proportion of their army.

But fighting Chaos takes it's toll. A demon prince, of unknown name to our scholars, put up heavy resistance and wounded and killed many battle-brothers. His rampage would surely have kept on going had it not been for the selfless Battle-Brother Otho who managed to lure the, now reckless, Daemon within the Baal Predators range bringing their assault cannons to full use. As if by intervention from the Emperor himself Otho managed to survived the daemons onslaught as bullet after bullet tore the daemon asunder and sent him back to the warp. And as such, the crew painted yet another star on their hull, a Brother saved in battle by the might of their machinery and its machine spirit.

Baal Predators, within the Brethren of the Phoenix, along with their crews typically serve in squadrons of 3 vehicles. With a crew unit of between 2-4 Battle-Brothers serving with every vehicle. Most common configuration is a squadron of 3 vehicles with a total of 10 marines, the additional marine being the squadron commander which is usually drafted from the veteran company. This particular configuration is called a Hesperides squadron and acts as a front-line scout and reconnaissance utility with a broad and powerful short- to midrange fire capability should it be needed.

Gloam is the name of this particular Baal Predator and she is a member of one of the many Hesperides squadrons utilized by the Brethren during conflicts in urban territories. Her particular squadron was named "Dusk-bringer" after their brutal front line assaults with flamer weapons in the Hive city of Arellexion IV which was a turning point in the war against the planets corrupt leaders.

The crew members of Baal Predators are used to proceed to forward positions and set up their tanks in deep cover while they await further orders or send out smaller squads for reconnaissance missions. To pass time they often spend it painting patterns on their tanks in order to bond with and please the machine spirit of the vehicles. This is no easy feat seeing as they also have to at least try to take camouflage into consideration as they adorn their vehicles. Because of this many of them choose to paint their tanks in darker colours.

When you first set your eyes upon her she looked like this:

Gloam, of the Dusk-Bringer squadron, Baal Predator pattern armoured scout tank:

Time spent: ~18 hours

And here she is with the other vehicles (yes, the repressor has lost it's dozer - it fell of at the last game I played). For those curious, it's the exact same mud mix used on all these vehicles - you can definitely see what difference a background colour can do to anything applied on top of it:

C&C welcome as always.

----

So...
This proved to be quite the challenge for me. This was my first vehicle with black parts on it since I restarted my interest for Warhammer 40k and since I've taken a real interest in painting these soldiers to a high standard. It was a very time consuming to highlight the armour and it was harder to do compared to red highlights. On the other hand I also found out that black fields lend themselves very well to freehands (the space pattern came out fantastically well in my opinion).

That's about it for now, my mind is a bit tired.

I'm not very keen on doing another vehicle for the February part of the challenge, mostly since I'm going away for a vacation and I have quite a lot of other things to get done that month so I'd be pressed to be able to finish it in time (seeing how long this one took me to complete).

Most likely I'll be doing a painting a Sanguinary Priest or a Librarian (or similar one man unit) just to get the ball rolling for me again.

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 01-31-11 at 10:42 PM.
post #366 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 09:50 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Wonderful Xeno! Simply wonderful! I love the time you take to give everything a bit of fluff as well! Congrats on doing that amazing job in just a months time. Looking forward to the next installment as always.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #367 of 1276 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 11:26 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

Awesome weathering... as usual

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
post #368 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 01:38 AM
So be it.

I love it. The pred is looking great and i love the stars/weathering. I would love to see you do a mephiston counts as, or something similar thats slightly different or something. Love the fluff bits, sounds great to me. You should post all the fluff with drawings of the squad/vehicles with it in a new thread, to make it more organized but keep it coming here. Or if youd rather just take pics of the guys instead of drawing them, but already existing drawings would be preferable. Amazing work as usual, id get to work just based off of this if i had more time... maybe if another snow day... love it and cant wait for more. once again ill try for rep, fingers crossed

*Edit* once again
vBulletin Message

Quote:
post #369 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 01:14 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
You are a very angry man
Yeah, where are the side sponsons by the way?!!!!

Anyway, it looks stunning. And... 18 hours..... I have used 30 hours on a tank that doesn't look as good as this... I hate you so much!
post #370 of 1276 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Default Construction & Conversions update: Void Sharks

It's been a while but now I'm back with a construction & conversion update!
SPECTRES A-HOY!
Enter the Void Sharks!

----

I'd like to say thank you to everyone following this project log! Special thanks to all those that have taken time to write in the thread or PM me with your thoughts and input! I do my best to answer what I can when I can!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Wonderful Xeno! Simply wonderful! I love the time you take to give everything a bit of fluff as well! Congrats on doing that amazing job in just a months time. Looking forward to the next instalment as always.
Thanks a lot, Midge! I'm a bit surprised myself that I managed to pull it off, it was a strain in the end but worth it. Now if I just could juggle my everyday life with my hobbies better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
Awesome weathering... as usual
Thanks, CTL40k, I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
I love it. The pred is looking great and i love the stars/weathering. I would love to see you do a mephiston counts as, or something similar thats slightly different or something. Love the fluff bits, sounds great to me. You should post all the fluff with drawings of the squad/vehicles with it in a new thread, to make it more organized but keep it coming here. Or if youd rather just take pics of the guys instead of drawing them, but already existing drawings would be preferable. Amazing work as usual, id get to work just based off of this if i had more time... maybe if another snow day... love it and cant wait for more. once again ill try for rep, fingers crossed

*Edit* once again
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xenobiotic again
I would have to go trough all the fluff as well, there are some grammatical errors and spelling mistakes that I've missed as well as some conflicting info here and there. It's hard to keep it all up to date in your head as you write for each finished unit. I guess a summary could be cool. At the time I just don't have enough time on my hands to do any drawings at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
Yeah, where are the side sponsons by the way?!!!!

Anyway, it looks stunning. And... 18 hours..... I have used 30 hours on a tank that doesn't look as good as this... I hate you so much!
I thought 18 hours was way to long. Would have preferred if it could have been done in around 10 hours or so. I tend to lose my momentum if a single miniature progress to slowly which is was happened with this tank, kind of took my breath away and it took me a few days to pick up all of my other projects. But it's nice to have finished it.

The heavy bolter sponsons as well as the flamestorm cannon and the heavy flamer sponsons are in my "to do"-pile along with about 5 magnetized weapons for other miniatures and a whirlwind turret and twin-linked assault cannons for my razorbacks and other things I should do but keep putting of since they are "just bling bling" for miniatures I've already completed (sort of).

I did play a game with Gloam the other day (with heavy bolter sponsons and twin-assault cannon) and she preformed pretty well over all even if she didn't make her points back (but the terror factor is pretty big when playing vs orks with that load out).

----

You mentioned the Void Sharks?
Right. I was a bit put off by the amount of time I spent painting that baal predator so I felt I needed to get away from painting for a while (hopefully I'll be able to complete my ONE miniature for the challenge this month anyway ) so I decided to get some building done. While waiting for bitz shipments I spent an hour scrounging through the bit boxes I have amassed through the past year and picked out the pieces I felt could fit into my envisioned Void Shark Scout Squad.

The pile I came up with is pretty small but still full of variety (seeing as most pieces are pretty small that is). Hopefully I'll be able to get to use most of them (usually the process ends up in picking out 25 items and placing 23 of them back into the bin). And a few days later the first bitz shipment came through the mailbox so I set out to construct a few examples (just to see how they would come together). Here's the result of that experiment:

I think that the cadian respirator helmets fit the theme very well and they suit the bodies pretty well (especially when I scraped of the wings and skull emblem, at the front of the helmet, for some reason). The thing I dislike with these miniatures is pretty much the stale normal scout legs, they are just wickedly uninspired and makes for dull miniatures. Minor gap filling needed. Greenstuff detailing needed.

I decided not to try and make camo-cloaks on these miniatures just yet (thought I'd wait with that till I had a full squad built). These are pre-greenstuff, so no gap filling or detailing has been done - just basic kit bashing and bit scrounging. I'd be the first to admit that these are not very original nor exceptional in any way.

A day or two passed and I got another package in the mail, this time it contained 3 of the Land Speeder Storm Scout bodies! Now these offer some kind of interesting poses with only minor adjustments and equipment changes. I was pretty impressed by the very tiny work required to change their appearance quite a lot. Originally designed to sit/ride on the Land Speeder Storm they have a lot of movement and character in their posing - which I like. As I was working on these miniatures with these parts I realised I could probably be able to construct more poses out of them so I went ahead and ordered a full set of the scouts from that kit for future additions to this squad (or another).

Anyway, without further ado I give you 3 more members of this squad:

I'm not fully convinced by this one so far. His point of weight appears to be a bit off (as If he would fall) but it could be my eyes fooling me. The bipod sadly looks a tad to large and out of place for me so I might have to take that off even if I'd prefer to have a few of them in the squad (well, 2 at least, one with the legs spread out and one like this). Major gap filling and reconstruction needed. Greenstuff detailing needed.

This one will probably be a stand in sergeant for the time being (should I actually finish the squad quickly and play with it). His pose came out well with the base I constructed for him (which probably needs a bit of sand/gravel to meld with the others). Probably the easiest of the Land Speeder Storm scouts to convert to a normal one. Minor gap filling needed. Greenstuff detailing needed.

This one looks a bit odd to me, his hunchback pose was hard to adjust to a horizontal surface and I'm not convinced I succeeded. I guess I'm trying to make it look like he has huddling along in a semi crouched stance and noticed a target as he proceeded. Minor gap filling needed. Greenstuff detailing needed.

And here's the full Spectre squad so far:

Over all they need to be kitted out with tiny pouches and extra equipment (seeing as they are a front-line unit they need to carry a lot of their own equipment with them). I'm also thinking about kitting them out with something in the vein of bionics but I'm not sure how at the moment. A bionic arm on one of them would be cool later on (as the squad expands).

Right now I'm thinking I could try my hand at making a "count-as Telion" when my other pieces arrive, could be a nice challenge to splice something unique together. Before that I'll need to make the basic greenstuff work done and then think about if/how I'll do the cloaks. Then maybe I could... Or if I...
[...]

C&C welcomed and asked for.

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 02-10-11 at 09:25 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode