Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 24 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-30-10, 11:36 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

1st if that's something you 'knocked up' in your spare time i hate you so +rep on that

i was thinking that the weapons should be bone, its a shark, sharks have teeth, teeth are bone

dunno how that'll work, as for the rest of it its amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-01-10, 12:00 AM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

He looks quite good, but I don't know if I like him yet. Theres something about him, but I can't really explain it.... Maybe he will turn out awesome (I expect it!) anyway, so I wanna see the end result before I start my eventual critizism

Other than that, on the good side I like the scheme, the blue hue really fits in, and the model has great potential. Dunno about the bolter, as I said I want to see your end result, but as LTP mentioned, you need some contrasts, so red could be an idea. Maybe purple.. meh... dunno..

Happy painting!
post #233 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-01-10, 12:34 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I think you are off to a good start, but I think that the blue needs to be a little darker, maybe a few more washes with the blue to deepen it. I think that red on the bolter would work well as a contrasting color. Keep up the good work buddy!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #234 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Ok, here we go again!
First of all, thank you all for your posts and input - it helped a lot, goes a long way to prove what venting your ideas can do for you!

Took your tips/pointers to heart and decided that I needed to redo the whole miniature (except the powerfist which is magnetized so it could be saved!) was only a couple of hours of freetime down the drain, win some lose some as they say

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
I think the powerfist is looking really sweet. the blue and Aquila look pretty space wolfish but the blue is still a bit bright. In my opinion I think a darker shade of blue would look nicer. Actually the blue half of the powerpack looks really neat, maybe just more like thats all around, using that rocky mineral effect you know how to do on the blue sections.

I prefer bolters and guns that are realistically colored gun metal colors. But seeign as like more than half of him seems to be cybernetic I can see why you'd want to give it some color. I think the dark gray and purple to match the power fist might be the way to go.
Indeed, the miniature was to bright, that was probably what was bugging me as well. I could quite get my mind on what I didn't like but when I tried something else today it all came together much better (in my opinion).

I'll continue the bolter discussion further down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
Hmmm. I like it but theres something... I dunno lol. The colours look good together. As far as the bolter is concerned I think you should pick a completely contrasting colour.

I'm all for quartered schemes (since I have one XD) So thats cool.
The light blue looks a little, patchy? Like it hasn't quite blended if you get me? [...]
I know, bled my mind out about the "there's just something about it..." thought. I hate when I can't put my finger on it. So I slept on it and let the input I got sink in and now I've done something I feel better with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
[...] Anyhow, as self-proclaimed master of sharkiness () I have these to say about your successor.

Second, the scheme:
A. If you can make the blue the same colour on the backpack as everywhere else it would look a lot better, but it looks almost too "Space-Wolfy" to me. I would go for a deeper blue like on a real Mako.

Perhaps successive blue washes would do the trick?
B: The grey is fine as it is, maybe a bit more highlighting but that's just me. I like 'em crispy.
C: This is just me, but my suggestion is that the top of the helmet should be a blue and the "face" part would be white, imitating real sharks which are white on the bottom. Alternatively, a blue stripe down the helmet would echo the original Space Sharks scheme.
D: The bolter should be red. It's how it was old-school and, being Space Shark based, you DEFINITELY want old-school.
It's hard to get accurate pictures of their "real" hue, since pictures taken underwater will be more tinted blue than those taken above sea surface. I did find some illustrations online which where a better pointer to me than what I had found so far:

Also found this:

Anyway, I first tried with more layers of blue wash, but the wash didn't work (it was unruly, came out uneven and didn't give enough difference in the hue) so I looked through my Mega Paint set and came up with something that's (in my opinion) better than what I had made before!

I was having doubts about the helmets, thinking about company/squad designations and such. And now I do think mask colour could be the way to go, with perhaps different colours like white, black, purple and red could be designators for such as veterans/sergeants, tacticals, devastators and assault marines(?).

Also, since I adjusted the colour scheme, old school red might very well be the way to go on the bolter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
1st if that's something you 'knocked up' in your spare time i hate you so +rep on that
I was thinking that the weapons should be bone, its a shark, sharks have teeth, teeth are bone
Dunno how that'll work, as for the rest of it its amazing
Well, it still takes me a few hours to complete the miniatures but you know, half an hour here and half an hour there ends up with a finished miniature.

I'll be more than happy to hear your opinion on the new scheme below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
He looks quite good, but I don't know if I like him yet. Theres something about him, but I can't really explain it.... Maybe he will turn out awesome (I expect it!) anyway, so I wanna see the end result before I start my eventual critizism

Other than that, on the good side I like the scheme, the blue hue really fits in, and the model has great potential. Dunno about the bolter, as I said I want to see your end result, but as LTP mentioned, you need some contrasts, so red could be an idea. Maybe purple.. meh... dunno..
I think we've started to pinpoint that the "something about him..." thing probably was the light grey/blue. It didn't fit in at all just made it weird. But now I'm much happier with what I've managed to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I think you are off to a good start, but I think that the blue needs to be a little darker, maybe a few more washes with the blue to deepen it. I think that red on the bolter would work well as a contrasting color. Keep up the good work buddy!
Yepp, definitely needs to be darker, I agree with that. And as I changed it suddenly things started to come together with all the other details as well! I guess it was one of those "aha"-moments. Hope you like the result!

----

So, Attempt no. 2, what have we (I) learned?
I have learned that sometimes your guts are right, when things doesn't look like something you could live with at first then you're most often right. You should also stick with colours/schemes that appeal to you and tweak them rather than the other way around. If the miniature looks all screwed up after half the painting is done then you can be pretty sure you still won't like it after fiddling out all the details.

I found Hawk Turquoise in my paint set which proved to be a good base to start from, after a wash of Asuremen Blue it got a really nice hue to work from. Specially when combined with Adeptus Battlegrey in the quartered scheme.

As you can see I did have some trouble with the aquila this time around, I wanted it to be muted and dull but it appears that the paints got a little thick on me and it lost some of it's definition

Finally it proved that a red bolter probably is the way to go, it complements the miniatures nicely (imo). Anyway, here's the new scheme - have a look and blow it to pieces with your harsh critique!

Old vs New:

Bla bla bla, what do you think?
Should you all be happy I'll post a full view of the sergeant asap!

Maybe I should make a separate thread for these guys? Or perhaps ask to have this one renamed into something more suiting? ("Xenobiotic's dabble with the Imperium"?)

----

Till next time
post #235 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 12:23 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
Old vs New:

Bla bla bla, what do you think?
Should you all be happy I'll post a full view of the sergeant asap!

Maybe I should make a separate thread for these guys? Or perhaps ask to have this one renamed into something more suiting? ("Xenobiotic's dabble with the Imperium"?)

----

Till next time

The second scheme is worlds better dude.

I think it would look great if you did all the amour that blue and then picked details to to in the white/bone colour of the face. Perhaps it could be blue all over except for the face part and the chest maybe?

Keep up the good work.

post #236 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 12:49 PM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

New = 10,000,000,000,000 times better than old. Keep up the excellent work.

And I support the renaming of this log. "Xenobiotic's Shark n' Bird stuffs?"

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #237 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 01:09 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Definitely better! I could see a whole force of these guys looking pretty sweet on the table. I like it.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #238 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 04:39 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

can i see a pick from the side? mainly for the bolter

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #239 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Oh, btw, I'm impressed that this thread now passed 20'000 views, thank you all for the support!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper View Post
The second scheme is worlds better dude.

I think it would look great if you did all the amour that blue and then picked details to to in the white/bone colour of the face. Perhaps it could be blue all over except for the face part and the chest maybe?

Keep up the good work.
Hm, perhaps it would look good, though I'm quite fond of the prospect of the challenge that comes with a quartered scheme.

There's always the possibility to paint squads in different schemes (quartered, halved and perhaps fully turquoise, could be something to consider).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
New = 10,000,000,000,000 times better than old. Keep up the excellent work.

And I support the renaming of this log. "Xenobiotic's Shark n' Bird stuffs?"
"Xenobiotic's Imperial Surf'n'Turf"? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Definitely better! I could see a whole force of these guys looking pretty sweet on the table. I like it.
It would have to be a small force to begin with (like 20 tacticals and a special character from IA9 or something like that). Maybe do some of them halved and some of them quartered, like if they recently changed scheme but didn't repaint all of their armours yet. Converting a few of them with "mutations" showing and of course kitting them all out with combat blades to go along with their bolters (even if the rules doesn't allow them to actually have combat weapons - unless I'd go Codex: Space Wolves on them, hm, na).

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
can i see a pick from the side? mainly for the bolter
Ask and you receive, be gentle about some of the minor details though, such as the skull on the backpack and some of the highlights which aren't done (like the Power Fist).

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 12-02-10 at 06:06 PM.
post #240 of 1276 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 06:06 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

Much, much better man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode