Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 23 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-27-10, 07:01 PM

Sgt Pasanius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Xeno, Xeno, Xeno as always you don't fail to impress me with your colour scemes and freehand work.
The 1000pts milestone is awesome.
I am just about to start a couple of my vehicles (2xBaal pred, Razorback and Land Raider) so i may be stealing your weathering techniques.
Oh and one more thing, NOVA MARINES for the pure awesomness of the colour scheme.

USPIAM ET PASSIM
"Everywhere unbounded"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-27-10, 11:27 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Lovely work on the other Rhino Xeno. As far as the color schemes go, you could do some interesting things with a quartered scheme with a Space Sharks successor. I would actually change my vote to that depending on the fluff from IA10.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #223 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-28-10, 12:28 AM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

Wooooh awesome! Congrats!!!

Oh, and, Nova marines

post #224 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-28-10, 10:57 AM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

I seriously try not to drool when I read this thread. Theres hardly and occasion when there isn't at least one thing wrong I can pick up in threads but on here I just read away happily staring at awesome freehand and battle damage/effects (which I suck at) Plus red's my favourite colour so you had me from the get go lol. :D

Seriously awesome log. Congrats on getting to 1000 pts I need to do the same lol.

If you do an honour guard squad next I will be uber happy. You gonna go crazy with the conversions?

In regards to the paints I thought you used Vallejo. It's awesome the effects you get from just using GW. (i tend to use both for different things)

Anyways have some well deserved rep and gimme moar pics!

LTP
post #225 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-28-10, 01:48 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Awesome work, as per always. Also - The Executioners are my (Newly found!) favourite Chapter. Their new fluff, makes me smile. So yeah, go for them, mate.

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #226 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-28-10, 04:45 PM

Master WootWoot's Flag is: Norway

I agree with doing honour guard! Your army is one of the most awesome i have seen, and both painting and converting go far over my level. Did i post somthing similar in this thread earlier?

Visit my Sons of Iron log!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits
Those bloody bits websites are a pain in the ass!! maybe they could sell the same bit to multiple people and they can share it on a rotational basis, like a time share, so that terminator cyclone missile launcher you can have the first week in april, two weeks in august and random rolling weekend in December.
post #227 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-30-10, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

I have some ideas to run by you guys.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsuitably View Post
An absolute mammoth post there, I like the consideration that you have put into choosing the chapter.

Personally, I think you should go for a Space Sharks successor chapter. As you've argued it allows you to use the IA10 stuff if you end up getting more marines to match, it also will be something very unusual and if you're conversion techniques end up to be as good as your painting skills we are going to get to see some incredible models.

Also, I feel if you model quite damaged armour it will allow you to have some sort of continuation between the two armies as your current Brothers have a worn look to them.

Though it is of course up to you.
Well, I think it should be a well thought decision, after all it's part of what's going to keep me motivated when I don't feel like painting but should (which is also another good reason to make have two slightly different projects to jump between).

I have been tweaking around with a Space Sharks Successor Chapter for a few days now (good use of university spare time, I hate having to sit around not being able to do anything other than wait). See further down this post for more about that, thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpetrie View Post
Sweet thanks for the pics ^_^
ill have to see if i can incorporate that into my Dark Angels army ^_^
No problem! Hopefully you'll be able to extrapolate a good enough description from the pictures and the parts list. You might even be able to improve on the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Pasanius View Post
Xeno, Xeno, Xeno as always you don't fail to impress me with your colour scemes and freehand work.
The 1000pts milestone is awesome.
I am just about to start a couple of my vehicles (2xBaal pred, Razorback and Land Raider) so i may be stealing your weathering techniques.
Oh and one more thing, NOVA MARINES for the pure awesomness of the colour scheme.
Feel free to steal ahead, most of my techniques comes directly from the Imperial Armour Masterclass volume 1 anyway - hardly any secrets

People keep saying Nova Marines, spooky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Lovely work on the other Rhino Xeno. As far as the color schemes go, you could do some interesting things with a quartered scheme with a Space Sharks successor. I would actually change my vote to that depending on the fluff from IA10.
I've been working on something, have a look below and give it a rip with the old chainsword - I feel it needs some critique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
Wooooh awesome! Congrats!!!

Oh, and, Nova marines
Thanks!
And there goes the Nova Marines again, hm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
I seriously try not to drool when I read this thread. Theres hardly and occasion when there isn't at least one thing wrong I can pick up in threads but on here I just read away happily staring at awesome freehand and battle damage/effects (which I suck at) Plus red's my favourite colour so you had me from the get go lol. :D

Seriously awesome log. Congrats on getting to 1000 pts I need to do the same lol.

If you do an honour guard squad next I will be uber happy. You gonna go crazy with the conversions?

In regards to the paints I thought you used Vallejo. It's awesome the effects you get from just using GW. (i tend to use both for different things)
Guess I had an unfair advantage then, maybe you can give a few pointers at my attempt at something completely different further down this post

I've built the squad, it's pretty conversion free, just a few reposes and some FW parts to mix it up. But I'm probably going to do some squiggly freehands on them if I have the patience for it.

I like the GW paints, feels like I can achieve what I envision, might have to give Vallejo a go further down the line (just to get an idea about the pros and cons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark angel View Post
Awesome work, as per always. Also - The Executioners are my (Newly found!) favourite Chapter. Their new fluff, makes me smile. So yeah, go for them, mate.
I'll definitely give them a thought once IA10 hits, for now I've tried my hands at something completely self composed though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master WootWoot View Post
I agree with doing honour guard! Your army is one of the most awesome i have seen, and both painting and converting go far over my level. Did i post somthing similar in this thread earlier?
Thank you! I've actually already built the Honour Guard, they are eagerly awaiting their turn at the paintstation. And no, you haven't posted anything before in this thread

----

All right, where were we?

It went to heart that perhaps my game lies in making Successor chapters and fleshing them out. My creative process tends to lash out and tangle up what it can find in the vicinity. So after thinking more about the whole Chapter ideas it sank into heart that I would try to do a Space Shark (Carcharodons) Successor Chapter, and see what you thought about it.

I scoured the vast ocean that is internet and more or less as if by faith I ended up where Scathainn had already pointed me: Mako Sharks. What's so fascinating about them? Well, for one thing they are pretty compact (almost as if they where bullet shaped) "little" buggers with a punch. But there are also some far more sinister connections.

The few pieces of pre hand information I have about the Carcharodons are that their culture is roughly based around the Mãori people and this shows on their armour (with typical Mãori patterns adoring parts of it). I figured that these where things I could "steal" when translating into a Successor Chapter. Also, guess what, the Mãori word for Shark is Mako (I sense a pattern?).

The Mãori have many interesting aspects that could be included in a chapter. The most prominent being tribal tattoos used do designate companies and Chapter structure as well as sergeants and other more prominent Chapter officials. The hard thing would probably be to paint these (most of them retaining some form of organic feeling (round shapes and patterns that interact), I'm betting they would cause a lot of headache but be awesome if pulled off.

And while considering the chapter structure I was inspired by the 13th(?) Space Wolves company (the one with the "werewolves"?) and their, how should I put it, difference in appearance(?). It would be nice to fuse some kind of genetic instability/variation (such as the Black Dragons chapter for example) or abhuman recruitment into the background to explain sharklike visage and characteristics.

On to Successors and colour schemes. I had some spare time (for once) and took a few minutes of to paint a test miniature. I started out with quartered Adeptus Battlegrey and Bleached Bone, however I couldn't stand the colour tone of the Bleached bone (I can't really explain why either). It just looked to "warm". Most sharks (and other creatures living in the ocean with similar appearance) have a kind of glittering blue sheen to them (which would probably be mimicked most accurately with metallics, I think) which makes them "colder", this wasn't getting across at all. Back to the drawing board.

After a while I figured I could try Adeptus Battlegrey and Astronomican Grey (double grey?!) and while it looks better I wasn't satisfied. So I started to experiment with washes (namely Asuremen Blue) while I'm still not sure if it looks good at all (this is all very new to me for some reason, grey was a harder colour to work with then I first imagined) it does look better then my first attempt.

So enough blabbering! Basically I'd like some input on the colour scheme, before I spend any more time on the miniature to finalize it. Evidently this miniature isn't finished 100%, the bolter arm, some highlights, details on cords and coils etc aren't done yet (also noticed that the helmet needs tweaking, darn it) there are also no free hands at all (of which there should be plenty later on) - but the general outlay is done:

Specific questions:
What do you think about the blue hue? It's very different from what I'm used to, I'm starting to think my mind is playing tricks on me.
What do you think about the quartered colours? Is grey and dark grey ok?
Any suggestions on what colour to paint the bolter? O_o

----

Till next time, swim safely!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 11-30-10 at 10:53 PM.
post #228 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-30-10, 11:01 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

i think the powerfist is looking really sweet. the blue and Aquila look pretty space wolfish but the blue is still a bit bright. In my opinion I think a darker shade of blue would look nicer. Actually the blue half of the powerpack looks really neat, maybe just more like thats all around, using that rocky mineral effect you know how to do on the blue sections.

I prefer bolters and guns that are realistically colored gun metal colors. But seeign as like more than half of him seems to be cybernetic I can see why you'd want to give it some color. I think the dark gray and purple to match the power fist might be the way to go.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #229 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-30-10, 11:08 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Hmmm. I like it but theres something... I dunno lol. The colours look good together. As far as the bolter is concerned I think you should pick a completely contrasting colour.

I'm all for quartered schemes (since I have one XD) So thats cool.

The light blue looks a little, patchy? Like it hasn't quite blended if you get me?

The helmet is looking good and the powerfist is sweet not just cause it has purple on it .

Good scheme and I look forward to seeing this guy finished .
post #230 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-30-10, 11:20 PM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

Oh sweet jesus yes, Space Sharks.

Anyhow, as self-proclaimed master of sharkiness () I have these to say about your successor.

First off, KICKASS idea about the Maori and such. Major props and, if it lets me, +rep.

Second, the scheme:

A. If you can make the blue the same colour on the backpack as everywhere else it would look a lot better, but it looks almost too "Space-Wolfy" to me. I would go for a deeper blue like on a real Mako.

Perhaps successive blue washes would do the trick?

B: The grey is fine as it is, maybe a bit more highlighting but that's just me. I like 'em crispy.

C: This is just me, but my suggestion is that the top of the helmet should be a blue and the "face" part would be white, imitating real sharks which are white on the bottom. Alternatively, a blue stripe down the helmet would echo the original Space Sharks scheme.

D: The bolter should be red. It's how it was old-school and, being Space Shark based, you DEFINITELY want old-school.

EDIT:
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xenobiotic again.

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode