Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-21-10, 04:10 PM

Widowmaker666's Flag is: USA

Hey Xeno, Could i bother you for an army photo? Everything looks AMAZING so far and i would like to see how it all fits together.
Cheers

Widowmaker

Fuck the Meta-game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default The Salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
Not much. You have been asking for our opinions, so I make it my business to point out the small details

It's looking seriously good. Good job man, and good luck with the university (which I am failing in atm... Damn you video games! "Back to CoD ")!
Hehe, I know. And I depend on you, so you better not stop! After a while when you've been looking at the same miniature you go blind and it's easy to miss things.

And don't let the university beat you, we need our games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinius noob View Post
again xeno, you make perfection look easy! your definately keeping it up, always a joy looking at your work mate!
Oh, I'm very happy you like my miniatures but I'd hardly call them perfection. There are so many miniature painters out there that I find my self looking up to, trying out new things to get closer to what they achieve and so on. But that's what's so good about the internet, if you know where to look you can find inspiration to push yourself forward (as long as you don't let all of them awesome people out there bog you down, that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
As always Xeno you continue to impress! Thanks for throwing up the tutorial on your freehands it is great to see your process! I have been following your art thread and there is some seriously cool stuff going on there as well!
I had a sudden surge of insight, figured someone would probably ask about them sooner or later so I figured I'd just knock a tutorial up while I was actually doing some freehand work.

I like it when people throw up a couple of "in progress" shots as well, it gives you insight on how they achieve their looks, which is very helpful when you're trying to figure out your own!

And since art is my biggest passion in life it makes me very happy that you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthwish09 View Post
a true inspiration to artists on this forum
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker666 View Post
Hey Xeno, Could i bother you for an army photo? Everything looks AMAZING so far and i would like to see how it all fits together.
Soon™, my friend. I just have a few more things to do on the miniatures I've already painted before I update the army picture. So hang in there!

----

Superior Tech-Brother Alournius was reviewing and completing the last rites of battle to "the Salient" prior to deployment. He had much pride in the old vehicle he heartily referred to as "my own piece of junk". Just as he finished of the rituals he was approached by another Battle-Brother.

Quote:
Tech-Adept Brother Kaithas reporting for duty, sir! I've been assigned to aid you in the continuation of the Korsk II campaign, all my expertise is yours to use as you see fit.

- Tell me, young Brother, have you ever driven the enraged before?

No disrespect, sir, are you questioning my skills? I have the seals to prove my experience. I have manned Rhinos and Razorbacks on countless occasions, sir! During the raids against the Sor'ko and...

- You misunderstood my question, Brother Kaithas. I am not interested in knowing what vehicle you have driven into what enemy of the Emperor. I am simply asking you if you have ever driven the Enraged before?

No, sir!

- Then I can tell you two things, Brother. One: You can forget everything you thought you knew about driving in battle. Two: Strap yourself in hard, cause it's going to be a hell of a ride!
Vehicles are essential in warfare, there is pretty much no way around that. Be it siege tanks, troop transports, walkers or flying machinery. Many of them have purely logistical uses, supplying the front line with anything from troops to medical supplies and food. They are a constant in any war. Battles are won and lost simply by the presence or lack of, vehicles.

While there are some times a more non-vehicle puristic profiling can be advantageous, the use of machinery is somewhat solidified in the structure of the Brethren of the Phoenix, especially in the 4th company, the Birds of Paradise.

All squads are assigned a Rhino APC, with crew capable of exchanging the armaments into a Razorback prior to a battle. All crew members have reached the status of at least Tech-Adepts, via training of the Chapters Forge Masters (only those whom have reached status of Techmarine or higher have actually undergone training within the Adeptus Mechanicus. These are few and far between considering the strained relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus concerning the Baal Predator technology). All squads are also assigned a number of drop pods, available at pretty much all times from the Chapters cruisers. Most marines take great care of their vehicles and adorn them with artwork and give them names that fit their achievements. A practise that sometimes have grown to extreme lengths in order to prove grander artistic abilities than their comrades could achieve.

The Salient, a.k.a. "My own piece of junk", has a long service record with the Ember Enraged. While the crew themselves are not enraged as such they have been specially assigned and chosen to have suitable personal characteristics (i.e. reckless and risky). Whether by some sort of special bond between the vehicle and it's crew, skills or even pure luck, the Salient has managed stay as a frontline vehicle for decades, miraculously never having been damaged beyond repair it has taken the Ember Enraged into the inferno of battle. Each time the vehicle survives a particularly devastating battle the crew paints another Phoenix bird on it, as a memory and a promise that it will serve at least one more time.

----

A piece of history:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic
Basically I want it to be evident that it is a death company vehicle (hence the red X/cross comes in). But at the same time I also want the vehicle to pop and scream fanaticism - so I'm going to try to paint hints of small phoenixes within the red colour (as if the red colour where alive, that is). Along with that a gritty and VERY dirty white. Hopefully it will look good and not just.. suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Most people just think....'i'm going to paint it red' [...]
I now give you more views of a white rhino with "red paint" on:

----

So what am I thinking about this vehicle myself? My main concern is the Dozer Blade, feels like the white is a bit off compared to the rest of the tank. I tried blending it in with a few washes of Gryphonne Sepia but I'm not sure if it's good enough. I've changed my painting style since I did the dozers (apparently). I've also not painted any weapons for this vehicle, so the current setup would be illegal in game terms (since it's lacking a stormbolter). But that will be rectified soon enough with a pair of twin-linked assault cannons.

Here's a short list of the things I might consider changing or adding:
  • Add more smoke/charcoal weathering around the smokestacks?
  • Repaint the dozer to match it better with the white on the tank?
  • Add a layer of dark weathering to the vehicle?

----

And on to other ideas and projects. I've been thinking about my boxes of Tactical Marines which would be nice to get built and painted sometime. Though at the same time I'm considering how many Tactical Squads I'd actually use as a part of this army, and it would probably not be more than 1 or 2 (and I have parts to build closer to 50 of them by now).

What I'm considering is adding 2 x 10-man tactical squads to my collection but paint them up as another Chapter (simply using them as Tactical marines from my Blood Angels Codex should I ever want/need to). Preferably I'd like to base them on a chapter mentioned in the actual fluff. So if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. It would be nice to do something different from the Brethren every no and then (so preferably not red or white).

If you have no suggestions I'll wait for IA10 and look through the chapters there (the Minotaurs look promising?) and choose one from either IA9 or IA10.
Another good thing about this idea is that I can easily paint a HQ and something more and I'd have 2 different Space Marine armies later on.

Ah, well, enough blabbering, thanks for reading!

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 11-26-10 at 12:05 PM.
post #193 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:34 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I actually like the dozerblade a slightly different color. It looks like it has been plowing through debris and muck and in my opinion it should look dirtier and more banged up for that reason.

I would agree that some more weathering and smoky soot around the smoke stacks would be good.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #194 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:49 PM

The tank is absolutely superb, and I almost don't feel right giving any criticism to it. But the top hatch just looks a bit bland at the moment, it would be fine if the rest of the tank wasn't so unbelievable. I feel it just needs a little something extra at the moment.
post #195 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 01:04 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

i want to ask you use MIG correct?
i recently bought Martian Dust for my orks and IF and i am not sure how to use it could you please advise?

also in regards to chapters i think you can either go 2 ways. a blue army or a yellow army.

(YELLOWW!!!!)) well since i love all things yellow i suggest doing that.. maybe a black yellow.. like a certain persons awesome Marines Malovent. (spelling?)

ive been trying to think of a colour scheme that doesnt use red or white... which is actually quite hard to get something that looks nice that doesnt use those colours all i can think is black/yellow.. you could do a green/brown.. but im not sure.. it just seems like it would be kind of dull.. and if you go like pink+anything its to slaanesh.. i was thinking maybe purple/black.. but still that seems slaaneshi to me aswell..

ive always thought that orange/blue is a really cool contrasting set of colours but im not sure how it would work on minis? i think you should attempt a quarter scheme because i think that would be cool and be something very different from what you currently have. ive always thought of trying to do a fading style.. perhaps from lightning blue to dark blue from top to bottom.. not sure how it would look

well ive crapped on long enough. to summerize.

yellow/black
lighting blue/navy blue
blue/white
blue/orange

quartered scheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.
post #196 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 02:26 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

i think the vehicle fine dude haha. No but really I like how the dozer blade is darker than the rest of it, it only makes sense really. so id say no to another layer of weathering over the whole thing, it think THAT might push it over the edge to being just straight up messy. smoke stacks are pretty dark, not sure they need more of a charcoal look.

and its not illegal to have no turret on a rhino, they dont have to have any weapons on them, unless its different for blood angels, i dunno.

aaand ooh ooh ooh! do executioners!!! pleeease do executioners!!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Executioners

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #197 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I actually like the dozerblade a slightly different color. It looks like it has been plowing through debris and muck and in my opinion it should look dirtier and more banged up for that reason.

I would agree that some more weathering and smoky soot around the smoke stacks would be good.
I see your point, it's grown on me, also I really don't feel like repainting the entire dozer either, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsuitably View Post
The tank is absolutely superb, and I almost don't feel right giving any criticism to it. But the top hatch just looks a bit bland at the moment, it would be fine if the rest of the tank wasn't so unbelievable. I feel it just needs a little something extra at the moment.
There's actually a "good reason" for that. The hatch is just a place holder till I manage to paint a set of weapons for it. Also I want the top hatches and weapon systems to be free of freehand so I can change them between vehicles without messing up the entire look to much. I figured the Techmarines would have a similar view, being artisans, artists and mechanics. So while I agree it can look somewhat "odd" it's still "supposed to" (for now, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azwraith View Post
I want to ask you use MIG correct?
i recently bought Martian Dust for my orks and IF and i am not sure how to use it could you please advise?

also in regards to chapters i think you can either go 2 ways. a blue army or a yellow army.

(YELLOWW!!!!)) well since i love all things yellow i suggest doing that.. maybe a black yellow.. like a certain persons awesome Marines Malovent. (spelling?)

ive been trying to think of a colour scheme that doesnt use red or white... which is actually quite hard to get something that looks nice that doesnt use those colours all i can think is black/yellow.. you could do a green/brown.. but im not sure.. it just seems like it would be kind of dull.. and if you go like pink+anything its to slaanesh.. i was thinking maybe purple/black.. but still that seems slaaneshi to me aswell..

Ive always thought that orange/blue is a really cool contrasting set of colours but im not sure how it would work on minis? i think you should attempt a quarter scheme because i think that would be cool and be something very different from what you currently have. ive always thought of trying to do a fading style.. perhaps from lightning blue to dark blue from top to bottom.. not sure how it would look

well ive crapped on long enough. to summerize.

yellow/black
lighting blue/navy blue
blue/white
blue/orange

quartered scheme?
I actually use Forge World Powders, but from what I've heard the MIG powders are equal to them (perhaps even better), I'd assume the techniques to apply them would be fairly similar as well. I'm pretty much a noob in that area, only using the very basic methods I've found, there are quite a lot of guides up on the net, and there's also the Forge World Imperial Armour Masterclass Volume 1 book which I use for reference and tips all the time.

My weathering with powders thus far has been limited to mixing powder with water and wash then flicking it onto the miniature (to get the splashed look) as well as painting it in some areas (to get build up along edges). When applying smoke damage I've just rubbed the powder into a paintbrush and then rubbed the brush against the smokedamaged part (note that you can get a pretty similar effect by just drybrushing chaos black on there, sometimes I do both).

There are shitloads of techniques in the end, using alcohol solutions and thinners and such, I've just started out with the powders.

And about colourschemes: It's a tough choice, I've been eyeing through the books I have and there aren't many chapters that stick out in a good way. The thing I mind with yellow is that it's hard to do without giving that Imperial Fist wibe (nothing wrong with that though). Quartered schemes are cool but hard to find good colour combinations (just like you're saying).

At the moment I'm leaning towards waiting for IA10, there are some chapters in that book that could be promising, fluff wise and colour scheme wise (Executioners, Mantis Warriors and Minotaurs). It would be nice to have a small force with "official" background!

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
i think the vehicle fine dude haha. No but really I like how the dozer blade is darker than the rest of it, it only makes sense really. so id say no to another layer of weathering over the whole thing, it think THAT might push it over the edge to being just straight up messy. smoke stacks are pretty dark, not sure they need more of a charcoal look.

and its not illegal to have no turret on a rhino, they dont have to have any weapons on them, unless its different for blood angels, i dunno.

aaand ooh ooh ooh! do executioners!!! pleeease do executioners!!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Executioners
Actually, a rhino comes with a stormbolter, so it "has to" have at least one. Then you can buy another one for a few points. Ah well.

Executioners would be cool, but since they are in IA10 I'd have to wait for that book to see if their colourscheme has changed (which is fine, it gives me time to do some other units for the Brethren before I paint something completely differently). I like the few lines of background I could find for them, so I'm actually leaning towards them for now - hopefully they'll get a nice special character also, meaning I could use them as a C:SM army should I want to play something different.

----

I did some minor adjustments to the smoke stacks, I like them better now (which, I guess is what's important in the long run), hope you like it:

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 11-24-10 at 09:27 PM.
post #198 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 12:36 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

That is quite possibly the sexiest tank i have ever seen .

Really nice job there. What paints do you use?

Have some rep.
post #199 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 01:24 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
That is quite possibly the sexiest tank i have ever seen
This

On the more serious stuff, I didn't like the dozerblade at first. But then again it does make sence, and if you have seen me painting, you will know I really like it symetrical and (more importantly) clean! I really need to learn to weather my models sometime....
So, I will go against myself and tell you to keep it as it is

On the tacticals, you know you want to paint them space wolves grey and yellow! Hehe. I would actually do what Azwraith suggested, a quarter scheme. Though if you want a chapter mentioned in the fluff, I dunno. Salamanders?

By the way, the university hasn't beat me yet! I actually painted for 30 minutes on a model yesterday!
Looking forward to next update
post #200 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-24-10, 04:35 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

It occurs to me i haven't posted here for a while despite looking at your log rather a lot.

The DC tank is superb, striking from a distance and even more interesting as you get up close. The freehand is beautiful as usual, but my favourite part of the tank has to be the way the 'blood' of the X filters onto the edge of the tank. Amazing stuff!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode