Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-13-10, 02:58 PM

Dar'kir's Flag is: USA

good work, post more soon

Army strong Cav tough! Stay Cav live the legend!
If your in it u get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-13-10, 04:16 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

That looks serioudly awesome man! I like that it is so original

Have some well deserved +rep
post #13 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-13-10, 05:30 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

Love the dreadnought. You're right, those Close Combat Weapons look awesome.

post #14 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 07:10 AM

Masstadon's Flag is: USA

those are amazing! wow... how do you do the white? idk if i missed what you said but i was just in awe at the picks man great job!
post #15 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 10:59 AM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

What a great log so far/ Your execution of both red and white is very very well done. I love the scheme too.

The freehand rhino is funky, no idea whether the waves are meant to be something but it looks great anyway

The marble style effect on the dread looks really good from what I can see, though some detailed shots would be great.

Good job

post #16 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

First of all, thank you for the kind comments, PMs and rep!

Secondly, some answers:
I'm still experimenting with the way I paint white (considering I've sofar only painted small areas of white where my method works very well). The way I do it these days is -
1. Basecoat of Astronomican Grey
2. Repeated milk thin coat of Skull White (the milk thin part is more important than you think, cause think skull white leaves ugly brushmarks on every following layer).
3. Thin wash of Badab Black in recesses, the more time you spend here the less time you have to spend on the cleanup that follows.
4. Repeated layers of milk thin Skull White till you're happy.

Third, as you will see the pictures I take from now on will look slightly differnt from the previous ones. This is due to the fact that I've purchased som 6700K lightbulbs which are considerably more blue in their tone. This helps me keep my focus when painting at night (not turning every color into yellow, orange or brown).

Fourth, pics of the marble effect on the dreadnought (which for some reason appears to be dusty now, I don't know why):

This updates special attention goes the first completed HQ (Librarian, I know he can't have a deathmask and an angelus pattern bolter, but since I'm not using any sanguinary guard or special characters with that equipment I shamelessly use these parts to make my counts as librarian, since I took the pictures I've done some minor adjustments but basically this is the look I'm going with):

This puts me at a staggering armycount of:
Librarian
Furioso Dreadnought
8 Assault Marines
If I'd just finished painting 4 white arms I'd actually have a legal army to play with, and then I could start adding up points for a distan 2000+ goal. We'll see where it goes.

Till next time!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:39 PM.
post #17 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 11:56 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Again, he Marble on the dread is awesome man.

I'm really liking the librarian too. My only problem with it is the marble effect. I don't think the execution is as good as the dread. To me it just looks like the white is a little messy. I think if you used some other colours for the marble veins, such as blues or greens (instead of what I assume is black) it would be more obvious as marble. That being said though, super kudos to you for even attempting that effect, as it isn't easy. You've executed it really well on the dread but I just think the librarian isn't up to the same level, which is a real shame because if it were, you'd have a fantastic looking HQ (don't get me wrong, the rest of the libby is top notch, love the red and the flat white, and the axe is badass)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this army, especially some more vehichles

All the best

Reaper

post #18 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-17-10, 05:00 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

good god that rhino is AMAZING!!!!

on a side note id recommend you try the same effect diagonally on the dreads, theres not a lot of retail space to do that effect vertical/horizontally imo

please post more pics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #19 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-26-10, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Sorry for the delay, exam studies and GF had priority, thank you for the comments!

imm0rtal reaper: I agree that the execution of the marble effect on the librarian could be better (found it sloppy on some places myself when looking at these pictures), I will go over him again soon and see what I can do to make it look better.

However, while talking about white marble, the colors included in white marble vary with the type and origin of the stone, as some of you may know, some are almost grayscale, others have lots of blue and red/brown streaks in them. Google has alot of good examples, all at a different degree of difficulties to copy. Then again I see why you gave the suggestions you did since when people think marble they see a certain type of it in their mind (which would be the best one to attempt to reproduce for it to be recognized by others and not just be a blurry/dirty piece of armor).

Experience will provide excellens, I'm thinking I won't do any kind of white marble on infantry models for the time being and instead try to get it right on my upcoming white vehicles (on smaller areas to start with). The red marble effect might look good on infantry though, I'll give it a go on my vanguard sergeant (probably) and see what you think.

Fallen: I hadn't even considered doing a flowing fabric pattern on a dreadnought but now that you mentioned it I might try it out!

I've spent some time to finish of the Rhino, I'm not fantastically pleased with it. When you first look at a Rhino it doesn't feel like it's full of detail and life, but man I was going crazy for a while, finding details I'd forgotten about all the way to the finishingline. I must also admit that I am a noob in the area of weathering vehicles so I did very little on this one. I didn't have the courage to try anything and fail misserably. I'll work up the courage for my upcoming vehicles.

Rhino
:

Here's the WIP picture of my Sanguinary Priest models (they are arm and headless since those parts are going to be white). If you'd like to give me some response on the wing effect I'm trying out it would be very appreciated (middle figure, figures left wing). I didn't want them to have a typical angelic paintjob, but I'm still not sure if it will work:

Also a lonely assault marine (only one left now!):

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:41 PM.
post #20 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-27-10, 07:47 PM

Sgt Pasanius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Absolutely amazing!
your red is really vibrant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode