Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 18 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 07:02 AM

aquatic_foible's Flag is: Great Britain

you are irritatingly talented, sir. this thread is just a big bucket of win, and rapidly becoming one of my favourites... +rep if i haven't already!

current wip -
dark angels seventh company
skaven horde
the warriors of ulthuan

foible - foi·ble / ˈfoibəl
noun: a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character:
"they have to tolerate each other's little foibles".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 11:44 PM

Warpetrie's Flag is: USA

wow stunning work here! ^_^

Ive been trying to find conversion possibilities with the Death Comp. box for my Dark Angels and you have definitely given me some ideas =D

post #173 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 11:53 AM

Xeno, slightly off topic question, when you're painting the details on your model do you use a lamp with a magnifying glass, or do you just eyeball it all?

Cheers

Dan

post #174 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 04:22 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I just took the opportunity to read this entire thread and I must say that the award you received was well deserved. I just started a BA army and I have only one model 'test' painted in the standard red scheme. Reading your whole thread has inspired me to consider going back to the drawing board as far as color-scheme and conversions so that my BA army can too standout amongst the hordes of them showing up as more original. Your work is incredible and I am sure that I can't hold a candle to you as far as free-hand painting but I wanted you to know that it has inspired me to get outside the box and do something different with mine. +rep sir! Excellent work! I will be following your thread very closely in the future for inspiration and motivation.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #175 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:08 AM
RTJ

RTJ's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very nice! I particularly like the tech-adept kitbash - beautiful!

Need an army painting?

http://www.iwantapaintedarmy.co.uk
post #176 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Wow, long time without an update!
And I only have a few things to show you guys this time.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
I likey, very dramatically posed. About your large bases for display purposes.
Have you considered making a large display base that holds the whole army with sections cut out for each model, that way when they are in a display case you can still have your display terrain and each model with have it's specific place to stand.

[...]

I'm really loving your freehand work, I only wish I could paint that nicely. On the plus side at least fine art isn't something that us orks are known for.
Agreed, that does make for very good display bases/terrain and the way you suggest in making them is probably the best one out there. However I'm still debating on the size of this army (how many years I want to spend painting red, lol) so I'm not really able make an elaborate display base yet unless I make one for each squad...

So in the meantime I'm just making these large bases with smaller on top for my HQ choices and other miniatures I've spent a lot of time on. It makes them stand out when I put them amongst my throng (lol, 3 squads) of already finished marines. I've also found that it's a good way to put some more consideration into the bases (because I want them to mend with the bigger ones). I will most likely not be using them when gaming (unless I feel particularly cocky).

And also, the orks might not have "fine art", but they have their ways - checker patterns and what not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Ya, I think I like it more. [...]
We'll see what you think about the finished product later on then

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiehawk View Post
Perhaps i just missed it, after all your blog is full of goodness. Anyways, a while back i asked how you did the stone on the dread, and to poke you if you forgot to show how to do it, so *poke*
No, you haven't missed it. It's just that I haven't been painting anything I wanted the stone pattern on lately. However you might be in luck now (just scroll down a bit )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Pasanius View Post
Absolutely fantastic, although I have very similar conversions in mind for my BA.
Keep coming back to this thread again and again.
I'm glad I can inspire you. I've been inspired by many of the great ploggers out there on the net so I'm happy to be returning the favour. One of the biggest reason to keep at it in my point of view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatic_foible View Post
you are irritatingly talented, sir. this thread is just a big bucket of win, and rapidly becoming one of my favourites... +rep if i haven't already!
Xenobiotic, irritating you till the end of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpetrie View Post
wow stunning work here! ^_^

Thank you!

I've been trying to find conversion possibilities with the Death Comp. box for my Dark Angels and you have definitely given me some ideas =D
I have a "love-hate relationship" with the Death Company box these days, which my friends have heard about so many times they'll probably start hitting me soon.

I like the many different pieces (particularly the abundance of poses) but after a while all of these purity seals and other minor detailing that are moulded on limit the variation in a squad (6 marines in the same army that has purity seals flowing the same way... That's unacceptable!). So I have to spend a lot of time cutting them off and sculpt "better ones" myself. Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1111 View Post
Xeno, slightly off topic question, when you're painting the details on your model do you use a lamp with a magnifying glass, or do you just eyeball it all?
No worries, I enjoy answering to questions (have in mind my solutions are not always the best ones). I have a magnifying lamp at one of my workplaces but I use it only for the light it gives. I find that I get thrown off if I try to do things in magnification. Maybe it's because I've painted so many tiny things before I restarted the whole warhammer thing.

Ehm, so, in conclusion, I do eyeball everything and paint it on with a Detail brush from army painter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
Your army is beautiful! The freehands on the vehicle left me in awe, and your "dirty" white armor is incredible. Keep up the good work sir!
Thank you, at the moment I'm still tweaking my painting methods as I go, I figure that I'll have a more consistent look as I head further into my squads (the first 10 assault marines aren't painted in dirty white for example). This process is a welcome addition for me as it shows that I'm still growing in my potential - it's nice to see yourself that you're making progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I just took the opportunity to read this entire thread and I must say that the award you received was well deserved. I just started a BA army and I have only one model 'test' painted in the standard red scheme. Reading your whole thread has inspired me to consider going back to the drawing board as far as color-scheme and conversions so that my BA army can too stand out amongst the hordes of them showing up as more original. Your work is incredible and I am sure that I can't hold a candle to you as far as free-hand painting but I wanted you to know that it has inspired me to get outside the box and do something different with mine. +rep sir! Excellent work! I will be following your thread very closely in the future for inspiration and motivation.
There are many great Blood Angel plogs out there (on warseer for example). But sometimes it's nice to make something "your own" twisting a concept and fleshing a backstory out yourself (depending on your creativity of course). Space Marines lend themselves very well to this - only having some similarities between all chapters but still have a lot of differences as well (warfare, religious beliefs and so on). Glad I could inspire you, I've been meaning to comment your plog but haven't gotten around to it yet, hopefully soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTJ View Post
Very nice! I particularly like the tech-adept kitbash - beautiful!
Thank you, it's one of those kit-bashes that just appeared to me when I looked at the pieces (I bought a pair of the legs of B&K because I liked how they looked, wasn't sure until I got them what I'd use them for). I think I managed to capture the techmarine look somewhat without making him look like a full blown artificier armoured & servo-harness armed one.

----

So finally I've made that jasper tutorial you've been asking for, please ignore the thick paint on some of the pictures - the super-macro really picks out every shitty detail there is:

Basecoat - Mechrite Red
First defining lines - Badab Black
Second defining lines - Devlan Mud
Fill in red areas with - Watered down Blood Red (make it blotchy and patchy)
Add thin layers of - Blazing Orange (within the red areas)
Add spots of - Fortress Grey - to some of the black lines (optional)
Refill black lines with - Badab Black (over the grey spots)
Fill in red areas again with - Watered down Blood Red

----

I've also been slowly doodling on the freehand on the Death Company Rhino, it's starting to go where I want it to go ...

What I'm thinking about now is perhaps painting some small birds on the sides of the vehicle (where the blood splatter goes down on the sides) and most likely some birds on the rear end of the X/vehicle.

----

And on the gaming side of the hobby I played my second match with the Brethren today, also my first WIN! 750 points Blood Angels vs 750 points Tyranids, game ended at turn 6, with one Hive Guard left on the opposite side of the table. The Dice-Gods where with me!

It was a fun game overall, I was very impressed by one of my squads (7 assault marines accompanied with Reclusiarch-Chaplain and Sanguinary Priest) which managed to shrug off about ~30 shots and ~80 close combat attacks before they finally caved in and died (having taken roughly 12 Genestealers (with Brood Lord) as well as 4 Warriors with them into the grave).

Sadly I lost Reclusiarch-Chaplain Sabinus in the campaign, but at least he managed to actually USE his hand flamer this game (and killed one genestealer with it, woho!). Then again it might just have been his alter ego Sunibas that was killed (it's not such a big deal overall though, it just means I lost more points this round).

Brethren of the Phoenix:
Win 1 / Draw 0 / Loss 1

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 11-15-10 at 11:45 PM.
post #177 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 01:01 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Every time you post that DC rhino it gets better! The freehands are looking great, and it is my opinion that your jasper stone technique is looking more finished than it was on the dread! Good work mate!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #178 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 10:07 AM

Master of Sanctity's Flag is: New Zealand

Absolutely outstanding work! Nuff said!
post #179 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 10:17 AM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

This... Is... Incredible...

+Rep
post #180 of 1276 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 10:35 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

how do you concentrate the badab black to those lines? just a little bit at a time I guess? I still have a ways to go in mastering the usage of washes tbh.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode