Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 15 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-12-10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Default Ember Enraged

TIP: Don't miss the objective marker on the previous page.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Love it. Looks great! I wish I could do bases
+rep
It's mostly a trial and error for me at this point. The few bases I have painted before this army where mostly pieces of crap in retrospect. I also need to tie the miniature bases together with the weathering on my vehicles to complete the look of the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
OMG this rock is alive!!!!

Are those dryad limbs?
This looks sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
Wow, Thats really cool I did not even see that. Excellent! I wonder if it was intentional?
The face is actually a piece from a basing kit made by scribor. But I think it fitted in with the piece nicely and gave it much needed character. The running tears are made from the same weathering mix I use on my tanks, it also adds to the mystical feeling of the warm and glowing egg. So the face was intentionally placed there, but not made by me, sorry

And yes, the branches are pieces from the dryad kit.

----

Without further ado, here are the first five of the Ember Enraged, Battle-Brothers from the Birds of Paradise, 4th Company of the Brethren of the Phoenix. The first fully painted and based squad in the army (I noticed a few things I'm not fully satisfied with when taking the pictures, you know how it is). Each one is named and given a short fluff piece for your amusement (if you like that kind of stuff:

Quartus, the fourth son, of simple heritage and lineage. A boy brought up in the inhospitable wilderness of the planet of origin. He earned his rights as a protector of the clan by bare hands in bloodied combat versus the carnivorous reptiles that plague the area these clans claim as their homes. Defending his own when hunters and gatherers where out in search of food. Because of this he was branded with the feather on his chest as a mere youngling, a great honour for anyone, an honour shared with but the few fiercest warriors or the most wise of elders.

When the marines came to recruit new neophytes Quartus was reluctant to leave his home, knowing the dangers that lurked in the shadows of their ashen world. But his clan had foreseen this future and knew that should he not take place amongst these warriors of the sky and serve their Emperor the clan would suffer losses even greater when the next end time drew closer. A prophecy that rings within his mind, each day he wonders if the end time has come. If he will give his final sacrifice for his Emperor and the ultimate sacrifice for his people, to be able to be reborn and join them anew.

Battle-Brother, Quartus, of the Ember Enraged:

Nonu, the Ghastly, of unknown origin and heritage. Little is known about Nonu and little does he share with his Brethren. In his records there are large gaps of hundreds of years. Some fear that he has a dark past and claims him to be tainted by Chaos. The Chaplaincy and Apothecaries consider this to be mere outbursts of envy or misunderstanding amongst the younger Battle-Brothers.

For Nonu's heart is pure and his will is strong. Perhaps his silence and the lack of and deletion of records serve a purpose of protecting those around him. Some indications points to him having served in the Deathwatch, which might be a why his records are sealed and he doesn't share his history with anyone, however even all attempts to confirm this has turned out unfruitful.

Wherever he hails from and whatever he has done still does not change the fact that now he continues to serve and struggle in combat to be able to be born anew. Maybe to be forgiven for past sins.

Battle-Brother, Nonu, of the Ember Enraged:

Merte, the bloodied feather, another member drawn from a simple heritage and lineage. Merte used to be calm and calculative, the embodiment of many of the virtues usually sought after in squad leaders and captains. He quickly arose to the standard of a tactical genius that won many battles. He was considered to be Vespillos right arm in many situations but continuously withheld any opportunity to rise in rank as he did not wish to leave his battle squad behind on the field.

This would prove to be the beginning of his decent into the Ember. His squad quickly became fraught with unlucky circumstances, and losses where heavy. As many of the Brethren Merte had been inducted with where killed in action or so severely injured that they had to be places in the sarcophagus of the chapters Dreadnoughts to continue to serve he finally gave way to his Ember and joined the Enraged.

Since he joined the Ember Enraged he has been a voice of reason within an inferno of fury. Slowly pushing himself and his brethren into more tactically advantageous positions while still letting rage flow almost freely. It takes the willpower of a thousand men to even begin to understand the determination required to pull of this feat in the heat of battle.

Quote:
If you offer everything you have, I still want more! Let not your fire be in vain! May souls of the slaughtered heretics fall as ash on the fields of battle! WE WILL BE REBORN! DIE, SCUM, DIE! The Emperor [...]
- Marte, as leader of the Ember Enraged on the Battles of Korsk II

Battle-Brother, Merte, of the Ember Enraged:

Otho, the eight flame. Even a marine amongst marines aren't average. Every single one of these brave warriors have stories to tell. Some are bitter and reluctant, taught by age and wisdom what hubris can do to even the most brave of men. Otho has no such fear. Otho never feared. Wholeheartedly he accepted the chapters truth and his purpose in this life, and every life after it. While his deeds are many, most of them pass by unheard, apart from one.

As an assault marine he used his strong and pure voice to taunt a raging daemon prince away from his battle-brothers enabling seven of them to be saved from certain doom. As he deftly manoeuvred the Daemon through ruins he was able to give the Baal Predators enough time to reach the area and home in on the target. Fighting valiantly to keep the prince in their sight Otho was severely wounded but miraculously survived as if by divine intervention.

Battle-Brother, Otho, of the Ember Enraged:

As previously posted - here:
Severus served with the Birds of Paradise since his inductions. Some claim he joined the ranks of the chapter upon it's very creation as a successor of the Blood Angels. Being around at the time when Sanguinus where still alive to bless his faithful champions of the Emperor. Many marines believe this just to be fool-hearted superstition yet some of them secretly carry with them the hope that at least some pieces of these stories are true.

He carries with him a veil of mysteries and his name have been mentioned more than once in the hall of heroes. Phoenixes has blessed him on countless occasions and his valiant service has yielded a fierce reputation for his Chapter amongst the inhabitants of the sector, friend and foe alike.

Sadly Severus himself no longer talks about the past. As he slipped into the Ember decades ago, he pushed his faith closer to true fanaticism and dedicated his flickering ashes to the Emperor and Sanguinus. As his final wish his armour was painted white and his birds of honour returned to the chaplains as he joined the ranks of Ember Enraged.

Battle-Brother, Severus, of the Ember Enraged:

The First Five of the Ember Enraged:

I hope you like them! C&C welcome as always!

----

Till next time I'll try to have something new and something old (but progressed) to show

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-12-10, 05:52 PM

Otep's Flag is: USA

gimme more gimme more!!!! j/k man

yet again you amaze me with your painting.... and yet again with your random bursts of fluff O_O

what else do you have on the work table? i'm very curious as to what else you have in store for the people diligently watching this log

post #143 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-12-10, 11:48 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
So the face was intentionally placed there, but not made by me, sorry

Don't apologise...you sucessfully hid an item on a base which already hinted at the presence of an easter egg. This is some sort of Davinci code situation right here.

post #144 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-17-10, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Here we go, crappy update!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otep View Post
gimme more gimme more!!!! j/k man

yet again you amaze me with your painting.... and yet again with your random bursts of fluff O_O

what else do you have on the work table? i'm very curious as to what else you have in store for the people diligently watching this log
Thank you, I try to do as good as I can on every miniature (but sometimes I give in and do thing quick just to get it done). Many miniature painters out there do a lot better paint jobs then me, which is good as it gives me a lot of inspiration and makes me want to get even better!

What's not on my plan to make? I have shit to do for years ahead when it comes to this army

On my table I have:
2 sanguinary priest
1 rhino
10 assault marines with jump packs
2 dreadnought twin-autocannons
2 razorback twin-assault cannons
1 objective marker

Then we have all the tanks & units built but not painted (see first post in this thread).
Then we have the boxes on their way right now...
And finally we have the Forgeworld order I'm about to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
Don't apologise...you sucessfully hid an item on a base which already hinted at the presence of an easter egg. This is some sort of Davinci code situation right here.
You probably shouldn't say that out loud.

----

I'm done green stuffing my second sanguinary priest and started painting him (in pieces). Notice the shoulderpad on his left arm (the one with the nartecium) inspired from the art work of the sanguinary priests in the codex, aswell as the chapter symbol I did myself with green stuff (instead of buying more red scorpion ones from FW and scraping the scorpion off, which would have been pretty expensive in the long run). Other stuff I have done on him: Reshaped one knee-pad. Added details to the sword hand and did joint rubber on the same arm. I also added purity seals.

Apart from that I've been pretty lazy, only painted one side of the front on the rhino:

----

C&C always welcome!

----

Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-18-10 at 11:22 AM.
post #145 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 10:56 PM

sanguinius noob's Flag is: Scotland

disgustingly good as always! just love this log, rep!
post #146 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-21-10, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinius noob View Post
disgustingly good as always! just love this log, rep!
Thank you, I'll try to do my best!

----

Another short update!

It's been a busy week, I've been doing more warhammer in my mind than with my hands. Planning ahead and considering what unit to prioritise and such.

Slowly painting my second sanguinary priest (notice the theme in these pictures, he's always lacking one or more parts )

White being as good as done I'm now moving on to other details. I'm going to try my hand at some freehanding on the sword, I'll keep you updated on how that goes!

Now to the main reason for an update, got this in a package today:

Surely nothing can stop me now?

----

Till next time
post #147 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-21-10, 02:17 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

maqn i so want that paint kit!!! but its expeno.. jealousy!

(and cose the paints are in good pots so they wont just dry out... damn you GW cant you do that for your normal paints!!! not that it really matters i use vallejo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.
post #148 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-21-10, 08:06 AM

ShadowMatt's Flag is: Australia

Those Ember Enraged are badass, I particularly love the weathering effects. +rep

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool" -Unknown
post #149 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-24-10, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Default Exemplar Terentius (Sanguinary Priest)

Woho, this is not a crappy teaser update!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azwraith View Post
man i so want that paint kit!!! but its expeno.. jealousy!

(and cose the paints are in good pots so they wont just dry out... damn you GW cant you do that for your normal paints!!! not that it really matters i use vallejo!)
It was well worth it for me. Considering I paid 132,3£ for Citadel Mega Paint Set and only ONE paint pot costs 3,8£ here (in Sweden at the LGS). That means just the 73 pots of paint in the case would have cost me 279£ to buy separately! And that's without the case, the brushes, the flock and the glue!

It's so nice to have all the paints in one convenient place as well, now I can try every tutorial I come across should I want to. And as you said, they'll last for a long time, the pots themselves appears to be of good quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMatt View Post
Those Ember Enraged are badass, I particularly love the weathering effects. +rep
Thanks, ShadowMatt, they're the infantry unit I'm most pleased with so far. I learned a lot when doing them, many things which I used on the miniature I've finished now (see below).

----

The initiates of the Blood Angels are given the Gene-seed via a process called insanguination. While most of their successors follow in their footsteps it's inevitable that as time passes these sibling chapters form their own rights of passage. The religious beliefs of the people of the planet of origin would inevitably effect their traditions. The Brethren of the Phoenix came to view the gene-seed, or Ember as they call them, implanted as a catalyst to heat their stagnant souls and make their final transformation into a Brother. Implantation is preformed by injecting the seed into one of the thoracic vertebrae of the receiver (a very painful process done without anaesthetic), a ritual called "Birth". As an Ember has been implanted, or born, it transforms the carrier in the process called "the Burning". When this process is finished the marine has fused with his seed which can only be extracted should his physical form die. If this happens the Ember can be passed into a new marine through the process called "Rebirth" (when an extracted gene-seed is given to another recruit or marine). While dormant, non-implanted, Embers are kept in special containers called "Kettles" which are guarded by the Keeper of the Embers, which is one of the most prestigious task a Brother can be given.

It is said that when an Ember is passed to a new carrier that person gains the collected wisdom of all the former carriers. In some cases the new carrier has even gained personal traits, both physical and psychological traits of the old carrier, thus making the Embers a form of collected wisdom of the chapter. This is the main explanation for the firm belief and theories about the ability to be reborn that circulates within the chapter. Because of this Embers from true heroes are only given to the most promising of recruits.

The Brethren do not see the Black Rage as a curse or a cause to their inevitable fall but rather a possibility for longevity. In fact, the Rage doesn't appear to have the same pattern of infliction within the Brethren as it has within many of the other Chapters of the same lineage. Amongst the Brethren it is often the most ancient and faithful warriors that fall into the Rage. It also appearslike these warriors more often then not have chosen to take "the next step" in their belief. When an Ember Enraged is killed in combat it is therefore of utmost importance for the Sanguinary Priests of the Brethren of the Phoenix, called Exemplars, to extract the Embers of their fallen for "rebirth" so that the wisdom and experience they carry aren't wasted. For some reason rebirth of these Enraged Embers does not bare with them any extra risk for Enrage in the implanted Brother. The puzzle of the rage has thus not been completely understood.

Quote:
[...] and as such the enemies shall tremble as our glowing embers fall from the sky. They will meet our fierce warriors, on the surface of the planet, in bloody combat face to face. And as they draw their dying breath they will have felt what it is like to burn from the inside out, to have been consumed by an ember of pure light! For we have the embers of old burning in our very [...]
- Exemplar Terentius on the battlefields of Korsk II

Exemplar, Terentius, of the 4th company of the Brethren of the Phoenix, Servant of the Master-Exemplar Keeper of Embers.

----

Most of the inspiration for Terentuis was taken from the Blood Angels Codex (English version) page 48, the picture of the Sanguinary Priest. The shape of the left shoulder pad, the extra purity seals, the extra details on the greaves, the shield shaped knee pad, the bird face on the power weapon (even having a power weapon at all was an homage to the picture) and so on.

Here's a comparison with the old sanguinary priest I did (05-05-2010 - click here to see post):

I think it gives a good view of how my miniature painting has progressed since I started out this endeavour!

Which one suits my army best? (I'll harvest your soul and give it to the chaos gods should you give me the wrong answer!)
Does the sword look ok?
How about the Company markings (Green knee with a "4" on)?
Should I do them on my other marines (maybe not the ember enraged?) and vehicles?

----

Since I have so much on my to do list for this army, is there wishes about what you'd like to see me finish next?

I'm not that fond of the Scout miniatures as they look at the moment so I have an idea about making a squad of Sisters of Battle (5 women to start with) and using them as Scouts with bolters, locator beacon & camo cloaks in my list. Fluffwise they'd be an Ordo Strike Force squad pointing out vital objectives for the Brethren (or similar to that). I think they fit the scout profile ok (even with the str 4 t4 4+ save).

I haven't decided exactly on what parts to use for the conversions if I decided to do them. I'm considering the new Dark Eldar Wyches as a base(?) along with bitbashing them with chaos marauder shoulder pads, scout weapons and accessories and then green stuffing the haircuts and helmets on them).

Do you think that such a Sisters of Battle squad would work miniature-wise and fluff-wise?

----

C&C always welcome!
Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-25-10 at 02:04 PM.
post #150 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-25-10, 01:04 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Far too much great stuff in the post above, love reading your log

Also that sword is awesome.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode