Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 13 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 08:51 PM

Pherion's Flag is: USA

Very nice man, looking forward to that Tyrant! How did you make the combi-flamer?

My WIPs

WikiPaint - Come help us build a comprehensive hobby Wiki!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1276 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 09:48 PM
rich11762's Flag is: England

I really like your colour scheme i think your work is amazing and i will take note of it when doin my own work, look forward to seein more,

post #123 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

This is one of them "intermediate" posts in between completed miniatures. But lots of pictures nonetheless!

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
A fantastic log. Here are some outstanding examples of modelling and painting. Most rep-worthy.
And burn marks on the helmet ? Maybe just some scorching of the paint. After all, it is Astartes Armour
Thank you, I try my best to keep the plog going! Well, his armour is a bit melted after all so I assume the helmet would take some damage then. I think I'll leave it as it is for now and finish up the squad he's going with before I make up my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wraithlord View Post
White is an absolute BITCH to paint but you have done so nicely here. Call me impressed.
While I am most grateful and thankful for these kind words from a superb painter I must admit that some parts of these white miniatures look better in the pictures then they do IRL, at least when compared to how they look in sunlight (damn that light's a bitch) which I noticed while painting today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossidin View Post
It looks awesome! I actually didnt think it would look that good, I'm impressed
Glad I could convince you otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherion View Post
Very nice man, looking forward to that Tyrant! How did you make the combi-flamer?
It's actually a hand flamer directly from the sprue (Death Company box), one of them pretty "useless" weapons - but I love it. And Hive Tyrant is progressing (if ever so slowly), pictures below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich11762 View Post
I really like your colour scheme i think your work is amazing and i will take note of it when doin my own work, look forward to seein more
It's always nice to spread some inspiration! The main reason I read other peoples plogs are to see if I can get an idea of what I'd like to do and where to go with my own miniatures. Without the many great plogs out there I would have been lost

----

I've been working on the final two for my first group of Death Company Marines. It's taking a lot longer than I remembered from the last two I did, yet I can't figure out why. Washes aren't doing what I want them to at the moment so I have to go back and repaint with white all the time, which sucks.

I'm also working on some magnetized options for the squad members I've already completed. So here's a plasma pistol and a power weapon, the pistol is pretty much done, but I think I'll have to go over the power sword one more time (highlighting the edges up again).

----

Work on the Hive Tyrant continues! I'm only showing what I've been up to on the main body, the weapons will have to wait till I get a bit more flesh and bone on them. I'm trying to extend the carapace to give it a good "armoured shell" look, it's not as easy as I had first envisioned, but I'm starting to get the hang of it (alternating grey stuff and green stuff to figure out the difference).

----

On a more crazy note I've started gathering pieces for a side project (or a new teaser project if you will!)! It will fit into my Successor army but most likely not in average games. So far all I have is a picture of some of the pieces.

----

Questions:
Does purple power weapons and plasma coils work?
Does the Hive Tyrants extended carapace look ok so far?
Can you guess what I'm starting to build from the pieces in the box?

----

Thanks for reading, till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:07 PM.

post #124 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 11:33 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

The purple is definitely working, the coil looks ace.

How WIP is the sword?

I have no idea what you are building, but i'm very, very intrigued :p

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #125 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 01:43 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

purple works

a defiler? / brass scorpion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #126 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 10:48 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Purple works very well on the coils ... Me thinks to steal this idea.
post #127 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 04:04 PM

Are you building a Storm Raven?

All of this has happened before.
post #128 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 06:46 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

The purple coils are ok, you're right, the sword need just some "edge", like the coils have.
The carapace is good. I had to look twice to see where you had been around with the grey stuff.
You are building a Warhound or the likes ?

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #129 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-06-10, 08:35 AM

Otep's Flag is: USA

im also diggin the purple, its not that widely used of a colour and it fits so swell for the plasma coils and the power sword

im also curious as to what you got up your sleeve.... a defiler body, oil drums... fans... two razorback heavy bolter turrets? and more rhino pieces.... tell me so my tiny little mind dosnt go "ZOMG WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE GODDESS IS IT!?" *boom!* too late

post #130 of 1276 (permalink) Old 10-07-10, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

I've come home from my first played match in the campaign aswell as the first ever match played with my "Brethren of Phoenix" and their 4th Company "the Birds of Paradise".

It was fun to play for once. Alas sadly my Birds of Paradise lost the battle (due to Wipeout turn 6).

As I'm not a very experienced player some of my moves where perhaps not the brightest ones (like positioning myself so that I could be tank shocked and rammed by a death rolla battlewagon), but at the same time it's these mistakes that makes you learn (the hard way).

We played the smallest point sum allowed in the campaign (versus Neutral Orks which gave me a 50 pts "advantage" (see the campaign thread for details)) meaning I had 550 pts Blood Angels and my opponent had 500 pts orks. I decided to go with a "fun" army including my Death Company which meant I would not win by controlling objectives (I knew that going in).

The best moment of the game was when my death company squad (5 soldiers) joined by Chaplain Sabinus managed to cause 16 wounds(!) to a squad of ork boyz (in assault) before the greenskins even had a chance to strike back. Sabinus was however badly wounded by the surviving Nobs Power Claw (but survived in the campaign since I didn't roll 1 on a D6 in the aftermath).

Final conclusion: 500 pt games are tricky, things can change VERY fast and Dawn of War deployment didn't help me out. Also tricking out your squads with special weapons and such aren't always the best way to go.

Hopefully I'll get a lot better as time goes by.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
The purple is definitely working, the coil looks ace.

How WIP is the sword?

I have no idea what you are building, but i'm very, very intrigued :p
The sword was about 2 highlights away from being finished, it's done now (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
purple works

a defiler? / brass scorpion?
Good guess, it's a walker, but none of those options are Imperial enough :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talthewicked View Post
Purple works very well on the coils ... Me thinks to steal this idea.
Feel free to do so. A tip when doing it on the plasma coils:
1. Undercoat
2. Paint Tentacle Pink (or similar pink colour, YES pink!)
3. Wash with Leviathan Purple (over all the coils)
4. Wash with Leviathan Purple (along the edges of the coil (the edge between the coils and the rest of the pistol))
5. Wash with Badab Black (only slightly along the edge of the coil)
Quick and easy! Compared to individually highlighting the coil (which is MADNESS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
Are you building a Storm Raven?
No, it's a lovely unit and I will probably get/build one or two of them in the future! But I'm building a "walker" unit this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
The purple coils are ok, you're right, the sword need just some "edge", like the coils have.
The carapace is good. I had to look twice to see where you had been around with the grey stuff.
You are building a Warhound or the likes ?
Thanks, I've added the highlights now, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. It needed to "pop".

Warhound is close, it is a super heavy (although a light one) but it will be smaller than a warhound and less kick ass (but good enough for it's point value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otep View Post
im also diggin the purple, its not that widely used of a colour and it fits so swell for the plasma coils and the power sword

im also curious as to what you got up your sleeve.... a defiler body, oil drums... fans... two razorback heavy bolter turrets? and more rhino pieces.... tell me so my tiny little mind dosnt go "ZOMG WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE GODDESS IS IT!?" *boom!* too late
Exactly my thought! Green has been done till death, blue is not my cup of tea and orange is more of a "force weapon" colour. A power weapon is a point of focus for the miniature as well so I didn't want it to draw to much attention (colour wise). Looks good with purple.

Heh, I don't want to give it away just yet, it's fun to keep you guessing :D

----

To continue the tradition of having something to show each time I post I now give you, magnetizable weapons:

I've also manage to stress paint the final 2 marines in the Ember Squad (Death Company Marines), I've also named each one of them. But I figure I'll go through all of that once I've based them and painted their Transport, Ill most likely update the army picture then aswell. So, for now, here are the final two:

And here's a picture of the whole Ember squad led by Reclusiarch Chaplain Sabinus:

----

Not so Secret project:
It's not a Warhound (it's smaller) but it is a super heavy walker
It will have 2 Twin-linked heavy bolters aswell as a "whirlwind launcher" on the back (which will not count as a whirlwind launcher in game).

That must make guessing easier?

----

Currently painting death company rhino and building a foot-slogging sanguinary priest.
Till next time

Last edited by xenobiotic; 10-17-10 at 02:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode