Xenobiotic's continual madness (Updated 20160816) - Page 128 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1271 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-24-16, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
- Lord Xeno…
- Yes, Master.
- RISE!!!
----

I have walked on dirty roads for far too long. My mind boggled and drenched in the pulverized dust of a crushed psyche dead since ages long ago. It’s a wonder that life continues to exist. It’s a wonder that I keep coming back to this place. As if, even though I have tried to leave, there is something pulling me in. Within the darkest corners of a dreadful mind, cogs keep turning and ideas will themselves to life.

----

I’ve had this Knight Titan in my possession since they were released, pretty much. But it got lost somewhere in the endless pile of things to finish (read: start), as most things do for years in my hobby space. Somehow it was brought back into the light when I expanded my tool box with piles upon piles of plasticard rods and strips and such along with a jeweller’s saw with one of those little mitre boxes that made cutting angles MUCH easier. This proved to make many pieces of the conversion much simpler.

As many other times before I tend to approach builds of poseable miniatures placed on bases by figuring out what I want it to interact with. Mostly this means that I build the base up first, with only an idea of what the model on top of the base will look like. Then I adjust the miniature to fit the base – if that isn’t achievable I then adjust the base until it is. This kind of back and forth gives the miniature more realism in my view but probably isn’t for everyone since it tends to get somewhat time consuming.

The thing that annoyed me with the Knight miniature is that the entire miniature is poseable apart from the legs... I realise why this is so (because of all the support struts and cables and so on) but that doesn’t mean I like it. So I decided to make a conversion with the aim to break up the mono-pose. This was the first real obstacle to tackle with this particular build. This is also something I will have to repeat if I ever decide to get another plastic Knight (which is an overwhelming possibility since I recently got a “Renegade”-boxed set to share with a friend).

While the process is pretty straight forward it’s still time consuming. Cutting the legs into a multitude of pieces, adding plasticard spacers, rebuilding detail, dremeling out space for some beads to act as ankle joints and then adding tubes and rods to finish the leg build. Now I’m just deciding if I need to change the position of the “big rivet” in the hip joing or not, I will probably do it on the miniatures left leg but not the right one. At least the Knight is now steadily built enough and remains upright meaning it can be shown.

So far I’ve reposed the legs at the hip joints, the knee joints and the ankle joints. I’ve remade pretty much all the support struts for the legs (down by the ankle joint), either cutting the plastic to fit or replacing the struts with plasticard rod pieces. I’ve also replaced most of the piping and hoses with either brass twine or green stuff tubes produced with a “tube-maker”.

I’ve also magnetized the arms at the weapon to shoulder joint so I can equip this Knight pretty much any way I want with the main weaponry (gatling cannon, battlecannon, chainsword, thunderstrike gauntlet and so on).

There are still a lot of things to add and convert – mostly since the aim is to turn this beast into a more defined Mechanicum war machine. The theme will, as one might guess, revolve around cogs to begin with, which will be visible on trims and such that I will add. A process I have already begun by adding plasticard to the carapace. I have some ideas for the helmet/head which are cyclopean in nature, and I want to give a go at converting it before resorting to buying the new ones (soon to come) from Forgeworld.

This is far from the only thing I have to show from the last couple of months. But I must warn you that actually finished pieces/miniatures are still few and far between but there will be things to see in the coming weeks – hopefully months.

Till next time!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 07-26-16 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1272 of 1276 (permalink) Old 07-24-16, 09:59 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Welcome back brother, so many heretics returning to the fold, joyous times indeed

post #1273 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-09-16, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Welcome back brother, so many heretics returning to the fold, joyous times indeed
Joyous indeed! And thank you for welcoming me back, it feels good to be back and updating my progress, even if it, at times, is severely lacking in frequency!

----

Since I've been so distraught with my many projects lately I've been trying to focus on actually finishing bigger projects that require less accuracy with the paint brush and less experimentation with the process (ie - things I know how to do and in which order to do it). This led me to finishing up and continuing with my terrain project, some might therefore recognize the progress made with the quake craters, now completely done:

The process I use for these pieces is fairly simple. After the basecoat I paint all the details I want to differ from the pigment layers (ie things that aren't supposed to be reddish brown) in their selected colour scheme (mostly metals with multiple washes and/or dark grey with highlights and black wash) before I varnish it all and pile on the pigments before a final layer of varnish. It's quicker than anything else I have (and probably will) paint but it still takes me a tad to long for my own liking. But I'm starting to accept that actually finishing things is more important then worrying about making the process quicker - at least at this point. Every finished piece gives me motivation to do more, and the terrain pieces certainly proves the point that "painted is better".

On that subject I did also finish the ruined Aquila from the Honored Imperium set:

Next up in line in the many Terrain projects are the trench works from the Walls of Martyr sets. These pieces have been painted with a slightly different technique. For my many coming vehicles I'd like to delve more into oil paint effects which is why these are the perfect test subjects. Using a very light gray/warm white tone I can experiment with dirt effects and pooling so I'm more sure on my approach as I advance to more detailed miniatures. The white is an airbrushed layering of dark grey to white chipped with a dark grey mix later covered with brown and red oil washes and then highlighted with white oil paint. Things left to do is to block in the earth with a base coat of reddish brown and then pile on the pigments:

That was all for this time. Hope you enjoyed this odd update for me. In coming updates there will be some actual miniatures in them (quite possibly even space marines!).

Till next time!

Last edited by xenobiotic; 08-09-16 at 08:20 PM.

post #1274 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-09-16, 08:39 PM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Great to see your work again! It has always inspired me and I love the terrain stuff as well. Doing something similar with my wall of martyr kits (the removal of the skulls and skeletons). So I'm eager to see your progress
post #1275 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-10-16, 08:39 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Nice to see what you're doing with that Knight! The pose look stunning!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #1276 of 1276 (permalink) Old 08-16-16, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Mentally hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Great to see your work again! It has always inspired me and I love the terrain stuff as well. Doing something similar with my wall of martyr kits (the removal of the skulls and skeletons). So I'm eager to see your progress
The martyrs kit skeleton/corpses are a tad too "cadian" as well as a tad too under detailed for me which was the main reason to pile on some texture paint. I'm just glad it looks seamless Hopefully I'll have finished all the pieces above till the next update. Then I can move on to the buildings and then I'll be almost completely done with my terrain pieces for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
Nice to see what you're doing with that Knight! The pose look stunning!
It was hard work but it was well worth it in the end, especially when I start building my second knight and already know what to do :D

----

While most of my hobby attention lately has been aimed towards terrain and other "bigger" features in my collection I have done some work on my actual miniatures as well. Although I must admit that I am confused (as usual) where I want to take each of my power armour projects (which vehicles and units to use for which legion for example) and it has hampered my progress somewhat. While I could scrap all my other projects and decide to work on only one legion each of my projects have a distinct feel to it's infantry which makes a transition kind of hard. I'm also very much against the thought of only painting turquoise metallic for what feels like the rest of my life. Admittedly it feels like economic suicide to include every vehicle and unit that draws my attention in each army. Bleh. Anyway, enough of those ramblings.

The Alpha Legion miniatures that I have completed I am very pleased with. I think I have found the look I was going for with this project. I like how they come together and how the spot colours I've chosen aren't taking anything away from the miniatures as a hole. I'm also pleased with my decision to go with black eye lenses which I wasn't sure would "work", I like the mute feeling it applies and that it doesn't draw all the attention to the helmets. The hazard striped cables on the backpack is just my way of adding a little color difference to the palette. I like it but it might not be to some peoples liking:

As it stands now I have about 50 powered armoured miniatures in mk VI armour in different stages of painting for this project. I also have about another 50 in different stages of being built. I need to procure some more weaponry and perhaps a few parts before I'm where I want to be. I also have 10 tartaros terminators dedicated to this project for now. Rumours about more being in the soon to come expansion on the Betrayal at Calth box could boost that number, which is also why I've but the terminators, yet again, on the back burner.

And while on the subject of not getting things done and leaving things in different stages of completion I finally did something with an Elysian equipment pack I bought AGES ago. I decided to turn them into objective markers, which was pretty easy but effective in my opinion:

I've also started to put some time into my Solar Auxilia project. Up till now I've mostly slowly been adding purchases to the project each time I've placed an order with FW. I still haven't decided on how I want to paint them (which scheme to make) but I'm still considering a yellow armour plate one with dark purple fatigues, because I'd like to see the contrast that would create. But at the same time that's a scheme I was planning for my Mechanicum contingency so it might be a tad much to have them all in a similar scheme. Another option would be a city camouflage scheme in different grey colours and then armour plates that pop - like red perhaps. Once again, it could work, but I'm somewhat iffy if it isn't to close to what I did with my brethren and perhaps what I will do with my White scars (ie white/gray with red).

Anyway, what I have done is add little heraldic shields to all the miniatures, as you can see in the picture. I was inspired by a fellow hobbyist on instagram and once I saw the idea I couldn't get it out of my mind - I think this minor alteration adds a lot to the Solar miniatures:

Till next time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode